SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    About to squeeze the trigger on a move to Northern Virginia, any advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to squeeze the trigger on a move to Northern Virginia, any advice? Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I'm really shocked to hear all the negative views of that area. Every time I've visited, it feels like the quality of life is so much better than the Seattle area. You have parks you can take the kids to that aren't filled with homeless people, that's amazing!

Very interesting viewpoints, I appreciate them.

When you visit, you don't jump onto 66 or 395, headed into DC at 7am. In fact, a lot of tourists, who stay in DC near the touristy things, will never notice the traffic nightmare that exists around the clock in NoVA and MD. Traffic inside the city isn't any better or worse than in any other busy city. Though DC is one of the few places where you really can say you were late because you got stuck behind a VIP motorcade.

And parks in the burbs aren't like a big square with benches and bushes. They're usually trails that go pretty far into the woods or along a river or creek. There are some pretty decent ones in Great Falls/McLean and closer to DC, on the VA side of the Potomac (Arlington and Alexandria). There's the C&O Towpath too. They're all considered parks, but are nothing like you probably think of a park in the middle of the city.

One thing I will commend DC on is the jogging culture. There is no better running culture in the US, if you're into that sort of thing. There are trails that get crowded, but there are enough to go around and it's plenty scenic on all of them.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've lived in NoVa for the last 35 years. I started in Reston, which I won't go back to, regardless of how much I'm offered. Currently, I live in Ashburn, in Loudoun County -- the fastest growing community in the USA!

Ashburn has wonderful schools, and just about every convenience, store, cultural event and restaurant you can imagine. The down side is that it's becoming "data center central," which means caverns of windowless building spewing steam like a wildfire on mornings like this (it's 22 degrees as I type this). To the west you have Leesburg, Aldie, Middleburg and some of the prettiest country. If you like horseback riding, your dream has come true. To the east you have Tysons Corner (the East Coast's largest shopping mall) and the nation's capitol, complete with museums, Kennedy Center, major league sports (of a sort) and wholesale District of Corruption.

I can drive from my home in Ashburn to Herdon in fifteen minutes. Yes, there's a morning rush hour, but nothing compared to trying to commit hari-kiri by driving into D.C. I usually drive into Herndon on my lunch hour, since my favorite restaurant is there.

Housing can be expensive, but there are reasonable homes to be had if you get a good realtor. The Aldie and South Riding areas are more affordable, and just slightly further away.

The crime rate is surprisingly low in Loudoun County. As Skins2881 has said, there is gang activity in the 20164 area of Sterling, VA., but across the way in the 20165 zip code, there are "starter castles" and even Trump National Golf Club. I lived in that area for seven years when I was married (had to sell after, since my home was too large for one).

There is a "blue bloom" spreading through the area, though. While it's still purple, I'm leery of the future. In the mean time, I have a wonderful indoor shooting range/club five minutes from my house (and work), several good gun shops/smiths, and it's pretty easy to get a Virginia CCP.

Welcome!

ETA: Skins2881 is the only voice on this thread besides mine who actually lives in this area. He's right - if your work is in Herndon (government?), then all the crap about driving, homelessness, crime and the rest is simply heresay and irrelevant. I really like living where I do, and am prepared to stay here!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
I live in Glen Allen and only venture North when absolutely necessary. The traffic is horrendous not only during rush hour, but most of the day even on the weekends. I don't know how people keep jobs in Northern Virginia, seems like they are 1-2 hours late each day in my opinion. I could never work there!

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In a single picture.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I understand folks hesitation, but, compared to Seattle, you will enjoy it a lot I believe.

Yes there are lots of folks, yes traffic is terrible but the seasons are beautiful, and we have sunshine here:-)!

Lots of choices to live if are willing to commute.

With amount of time you spend in traffic currently, you will be fine here.

I have family in ashburn, Leesburg, Purcellville, and I live in Berryville. I am partial to my location but they all have positive aspects.

Colleges around, DC has American University, Va has Mason, NOVA for two year. Patrick Henry in Purcellville is geared for home schooled kids, and then UVA, Tech, Liberty, etc.

Good luck!

Doug

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well we've finally signed papers. Our house has been sold, closing on July 19th and we're renting a nice house in South Riding. My commute looks like it'll be a out 25 minutes. I can't wait to try out all the shooting ranges; Blue Ridge, Elite Shooting, the NRA range. My rifles have been neglected since living in King County. Can't wait for the move!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent a significant amount of time in both areas and despite the traffic I would rather live in NoVA. I think you're making a good move!

You have to know how to play the traffic game, and find a job that allows you to work from home at least two days a week. They are becoming pretty common and commuting three days a week isn't terrible.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck with the move and job. If you can possibly manage it, keep that job in Herndon. That is just far out enough where you can easily get into the "country" and some real scenic beauty, but also get into the heart of DC, but not easily during rush hour. A commute to/from Arlington or DC would be nightmarish.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Herndon?

I work with quite a few people from Herndon as that is one of my company's locations.

They tell me that traffic can get so miserable that many of them get to work by 5 am and try to leave by 2-3 pm.

But compared to where you are coming from, it may not seem bad to you.

I travel there several times a year to visit that location for work and the area seems very cramped and crowded to me with lots of small, expensive houses compared to the PA Philly 'burbs where I come from.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Elite shooting is fantastic, wonderful value.

I would be a double platinum golden diamond member if they allowed and it wasn't an hour away for me...

Very nice, and very reasonable ranges.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Virginia!

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I can't wait to try out all the shooting ranges; Blue Ridge, Elite Shooting, the NRA range.

The only one worth the cost is Elite.

Blue Ridge and the NRA Range were, but are no longer nice.

There are two others to mention: Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn and Range 82 , south of Manassas off 28.

Once you are settled, the NOVA contingent ought to get together for dinner.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Taxes, traffic, and a daily increase of leftist thinking. I grew up in Falls Church, lived in Arlington for about 8 years, and would never recommend moving there or moving back under any circumstances.

Each time we visit my parents in Arlington, we remark on how bad traffic has gotten. Every single time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sale. It looks like you already made up your mind even before asking the hive mind. Having family around for support is priceless especially having young ones. Good luck to you and your family.

p.s.
What specific part of King Co. are you escaping from?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Virginia!

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My brother lives in Leesburg, and used to live in Alexandria. There is no job in the world that could make me move to that shithole. Heat, humidity, congestion, and crawling with liberals. If you held a gun to my head and made me take a job there, I'd buy a house in WV and commute...then at least I wouldn't have to put up with it on my days off. The only worse option would be living in Prince George County, MD...my BIL went to school there and the crime rate is something else...visits were eye-opening, to say the least.

There's 3,000 miles of better options between Seattle and DC...why not pick one of those places?

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Welcome to NVA. Enjoy One Loudoun!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Welcome

I have family out by you

I am 10 minutes from elite shooting...it’s amazing

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in NOVA. 69-93. Mom and some old friends still live out there, I avoid it like the plague. Been home 4 times since I left each time it has been 10 times worse then the last time I was there. No amount of money could get me to live there again. The only thing I miss is my mountains.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Virginia!

Great to see another pro-2a voter in the state!

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post