SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    About to squeeze the trigger on a move to Northern Virginia, any advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to squeeze the trigger on a move to Northern Virginia, any advice? Login/Join 
posted
I've been wanting to move to Northern Virginia for about 7 years. Now all the stars seem to be aligning. I don't feel that the Seattle suburbs are the best place to raise my family. I've visited NoVA/DC about 15 times now, I have a brother in South Riding.

We've been looking at the South Riding/Aldie/Haymarket area for houses. My job, if I take it, will be in Herndon, but I could see in the future working in Arlington/DC.

Any tips on where to look? We have 3 boys 5 and under and good schools, parks and stuff are very important to us.

Also concerned if this is even a good time to buy, I don't really understand the real estate market out there.

What do you all think?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traffic, bad traffic and worse traffic! Doesn't matter the time of day, day of week, and when the weather is bad traffic is at a stand still....... As far as real estate, VERY EXPENSIVE! Many people live outside of NOVA and commute to NOVA for work, but than you deal with overwhelming traffic!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have a brother and sister-in-law in that area and visit 1-2 times per year. It's a nice area. I think you will like it. Having said that, NoVA isn't what it was like when he moved there from Maryland 20+ years ago. It's success has attracted the Wash. DC regressives who are infecting the place. But if you're coming from the Seattle area I'm sure you know all about that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24047 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a few hundred miles south of there too.
Much lower real estate prices, taxes, cost of living and less likely to be a Democrat controlled state.
The economic opportunities in those states are possibly greater for those reasons too. Just be careful to avoid the areas other blue state refugees are now flocking to as they are trying to screw up those areas too.
Slow learners, that bunch.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If you love heavy traffic 24/7 and droves of leftist swamp-dwelling assholes, you'll love NoVA. Prepare for multiple orgasms...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
If you love heavy traffic 24/7 and droves of leftist swamp-dwelling assholes, you'll love NoVA. Prepare for multiple orgasms...

From where I currently am, it'd be 1/3 the commute and a conservative dream.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I did 13 years there, lived in DC, then Arlington, then Alexandria, then Fairfax, worked in DC, Annandale, Herndon, then DC again. I suppose you're used to insane real estate prices where you are now. NoVA is like Los Angeles - soul-crushing traffic, astronomical real estate prices - but it snows too. In fact, just the prediction of snow makes people raid the supermarkets like it's the Cuban Missile Crisis. And it happens every single year.

The DC suburbs now extend about 50 miles out from the city. I don't think there are any hidden spots left. I left in 2008 and hope I never have to go back for one second. Last business trip there was five years ago. And prepare to always, always have to wait in line to get a table a restaurant, especially on weekends. Man, I forgot how much that sucked, but Phoenix is starting to get like that.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You are going from one leftist-infected area to another. Why?

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I just asked my SIL who happens to have children the same age as yours. Ashburn is a nice area (great schools) but expensive.... like $500,000 for a townhouse. Look at Bristow (where they live) which isn't far from exit 44 on I-66.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
You are going from one leftist-infected area to another. Why?

It's at least less liberal than where I'm at, gun laws are way better. My vote may actually count for something.

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
You can email if you want.. I live in FFX County.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2666 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent from 82-85 in that exact area. It wasn't too bad at that point. Have visited since and there is NO WAY I'd move across country to relocate there. Traffic in particular is a mess.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I lived and own a home in Prince William Co. for 36 plus years and worked for the county south of Prince William for over 30 years and my advise is don't go south into the Stafford, Fredericksburg, or Spotsylvania area because of traffic, the drive to and from will not be pleasant. Stay to the west as far out as you would like to drive toward the Haymarket area or even further. My over all advise is to stay out of the DC metro area but you got to do what is best for your employment income. Good Luck!

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I escaped to Northern Virginia from the People's Republic of Maryland ten years ago. Taxes and 2nd amendment restrictions finally drove me out of Maryland.

Another huge plus for Virginia is the quality of the state colleges and universities.

Look closely at the "pyramid" of elementary - junior high - high school for the house you are looking at. Schools can range from top in the US to marginal.

Traffic, real estate costs and trend from Red State to Blue State are real concerns.

On the other hand, great recreational opportunities in the Shenandoah National Forest, Skyline Drive, etc. Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean not that far away. Strong economy - government, tech and related industries.

When I retire, I'll leave the area. Too expensive and too much traffic if you don't have a job that can fund the costs and justify dealing with the hassles.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The area you're looking at is definitely growing. Lots of stuff to do and not too far from some great outdoor area. Go the other way and you have everything DC has to offer. Museums, monuments and all kinds of other stuff.

I don't know those areas well enough to give any specific recommendations.

If you end up working in Arlington or DC your commute will suck from the area your looking at.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
One good thing about moving to NoVA is it will make you think Seattle area traffic is "not the worst".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm a couple of miles from Herndon. DO NOT move to zip code 20164, my area is Central America 2.0, 80% of the kids are ESL students and the schools are shit. The local HS canceled their football team due to lack of interest, guess Hispanics rather play Futbol.

I assume you'll be looking for a 4-5 BR house, expect to pay $500-700k, haymarket may have some slightly cheaper options, but even way out there the prices are high. Aldie or South Riding are nice if you're working in Herndon, for Arlington it will suck. Also FYI for Arlington the 66 toll road can be up-to $40 each way (daily) so budget for that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Don't!

In the 80's my dad was sentenced to the Pentagon and I did my last 2 years of high school in Chantilly. We absolutely hated it. Ungodly traffic, metro system is expensive if you commute on it. weather sucks, humidity, high taxes, everyone is from somewhere else and thinks they're important, attitude that the world revolves around DC and I can honestly say I learned nothing my last 2 years of high school.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I live in Loudoun County and would be happy to discuss your pending move.

My eddress is in my profile. Email me your number and a time to call.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't forget having to go to the VABC store for booze. Wink

Welcome to the CommonWealth, I think they dock you 5% yearly in addition to outrageous property and vehicle taxes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post