SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paint "defects" on an almost brand new car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint "defects" on an almost brand new car? Login/Join 
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I think somewhere out there, there is a door edge on a car with just that shade of red on its edge now.

Bingo

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe damaged taking it off the truck?

Doubt it. It was said they had it 18 months.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Can you take more off with a finger nail easily? Is is gray looking or bare metal where there is no paint?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think somewhere out there, there is a door edge on a car with just that shade of red on its edge now.

+1

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Maybe I'm seeing things, but in your middle photo it appears that the entire edge has been touched up previously.

The paint looks thick, in a ridge, and uneven.

Not by me! I bought the car with maybe 15 miles on the odo. I factory ordered it. MAYBE the dealer did something but I can't prove it.

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Hard to say...sometimes paint defects manifest on the other similar painted locations...how is the paint holding up in the other wheel wells, trim, etc?

Maybe use google and see what you can find in mustang forums?

I discovered a common paint defect this way in our 2016 jeep Sahara. The paint along the fenders cracking was cracking and it was an issue for that model. Luckily I discovered it in time to be taken care of by the dealer.

The other wheels are completely flawless. Not one chip. Only this one. Weird.

quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

Bingo

There are chips all the way around the wheel well. Too many chips for a door to do the damage.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
doesn't look like paint failure, looks like an abrasion of some type.

^^^
I would agree, it looks fresh like it just happened.

I also concur. It looks like it was scraped by a shopping cart/lawn mower rubbing against it or something of that nature.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There is a visible impact indication in the photo at the smallest chip.

You can clearly see the deformation.

Someone hit your car and left.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Could be many things as everyone has said. Something as simple as simple running over a wire that sticks in the tire briefly. I once saw a car that got a bungee cord stuck on it. Destroyed the fender.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies.
I have taken a picture of the whole wheel well and drawn arrows to all of the damage, which to me, rules out a door or a rock.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Can you take more off with a finger nail easily? Is is gray looking or bare metal where there is no paint?

One part is gray, the other are white. Can't seem to take any more off but i don't want to try too hard.

What would that mean?

posted Hide Post
Do you have children?? Kids do strange stuff sometimes when they play. I know I did. Please let us know the outcome. Thanks

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The gray is the primer.

I've done enough bodywork to know an impact indication when I see it.

There is a dent at the small chip and it is obvious.

Somebody or something went down the side of that fender.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can see the distortion looking @ the small dent. Good eye Mars!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post