SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paint "defects" on an almost brand new car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint "defects" on an almost brand new car? Login/Join 
posted
I don't know WTF I am looking at here. 2016 Mustang GT with about 7000 miles on it. Had it about 1.5 years. I went to wash it today, and when I was drying it, I looked at the rear passenger-side wheel well and I saw big chunks of paint missing along the exterior part of the wheel well area.

Thumb for scale

I touch it and it feels abrasive to the touch.

Now, logic would say gravel or rocks kicked up. But rocks making such large chips? And in various places on the same wheel well? And only on the outside of the paint and nothing on the inside, or on any other wheel?

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Maybe damaged taking it off the truck?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doesn't look like paint failure, looks like an abrasion of some type.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Word of warning: The fix might be worse than the problem.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

^^^
I would agree, it looks fresh like it just happened.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

I'm scratching my head thinking wtf it could be. What could rub against it to take the paint off like that? And not leave any scratches or dents anywhere and only in small portions whilst skipping others.

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Dirt on the road in the rain sandblasted it. Get racers tape, like duct tape but made to be removed like blue painters tape. Used it on my 911 on road trips for just that reason.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That's from the jokers trying to steal your wheels? Wink

Something had to rub it off. Maybe it was in the shop and was damaged and covered up.

I have chrome damage from a motorcycle going between me and the rear of another vehicle at 50 MPH. If I hadn't hit the brakes hearing the engine roar and the bright lights, he would have hit the rear of the car in the right lane.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
That is definitely an abrasion.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking some dufus ran along the side of your car... maybe with a shopping cart or similar, and that was the wide spot that caught the damage?

At least it doesn't appear to have been dented in the process, so should be easier to repair. The multiple bends in the fender metal along that ridge line gave it enough strength to resist any bending/denting pressures.

Comp claim, looks like to me.
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone took the backside of a key and gouged your fender! I'm aligned with those above, not factory paint defect but some sort of abrasion.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Did a good sized stick/branch take a ride through your wheel well?

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think somewhere out there, there is a door edge on a car with just that shade of red on its edge now.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think somewhere out there, there is a door edge on a car with just that shade of red on its edge now.

Yeah. Considering where it is located I would want it fixed. It would be worth the cost. It is always more than you can imagine to fix that stuff.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Did a good sized stick/branch take a ride through your wheel well?

Not that I know of. I'm pretty careful and only park in a select few places.

quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

It doesn't show in the photos but there is damage around the entire wheel well. There's more chips alongside the entire thing. Up close it looks like it's flaking.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm voting for abrasion. Too defined and too deep for a factory defect.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are pretty jagged edges. She'll have to be feathered back a ways.

Just a thought, I wonder what the painless, dent less mobile tech's would charge. Best to keep the repair as small as possible.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Have you been playing with line lock and not showing us those pictures?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nbwCjZKk8

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm seeing things, but in your middle photo it appears that the entire edge has been touched up previously.

The paint looks thick, in a ridge, and uneven.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Hard to say...sometimes paint defects manifest on the other similar painted locations...how is the paint holding up in the other wheel wells, trim, etc?

Maybe use google and see what you can find in mustang forums?

I discovered a common paint defect this way in our 2016 jeep Sahara. The paint along the fenders cracking was cracking and it was an issue for that model. Luckily I discovered it in time to be taken care of by the dealer.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post