SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Ford Bronco
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ford Bronco Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Wonder how many Wrangler buyers this will attract

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/t...jeep-wrangler-doesnt

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to see what they come up with. The JK and JL Wranglers have forgotten their roots and become incredibly bloated. If Ford does this right, they might be able to steal some market share.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing and saving pictures of the different color proto types they had few years ago.
I thought they scrapped the plan for the Bronco, as they also started talking about the Ford Ranger. Can’t wait to see the final design and options.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t look like it will have the retro headlights I loved on the concept pics I saw. It’s going to have a back seat right? From what I can see it’s shape and lines sort of remind me of the Isuzu Amigo. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Will it be offered in a manual is my question.

I love my JK but am really not a fan of the JL's at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too early to tell right now. Production is usually quite different.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I doubt it will be offered with a manual transmission.
Anyone know what kind of suspension it’ll have? Long travel, independent at both ends would be nice.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Unfortunately I doubt it will be offered with a manual transmission.

Honestly, then what's the point?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s based on the ranger right? It has a manual option. I’d be surprised if they didn’t offer a manual. It’s competitor offers a manual option. They would be fools not to but it is Ford so who knows what they will do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A gal down the street could not sell her Bronco even for $2,000 a few years back. It has the removable roof. Seems like a bad-arse vehicle to modify.

She said the downfall was that the design could not be retrofitted for modern airbags and the line was discontinued.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It’s based on the ranger right? It has a manual option. I’d be surprised if they didn’t offer a manual. It’s competitor offers a manual option. They would be fools not to but it is Ford so who knows what they will do.

They'll put in one of their go-cart engines and a 10spd trans and ruin the whole thing.

Man, I hope not.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

They'll put in one of their go-cart engines and a 10spd trans and ruin the whole thing.

Man, I hope not.

I drive a Lincoln Navigator L (a tarted up long-wheelbase Expedition). It has a turbocharged 3.5 liter V-6 that makes 450hp and 500ft-lbs of torque.

I used to drive a GMC Yukon Denali XL (a tarted up Suburban). It had a 6.2 liter V-8 that made 403hp and 417 ft-lbs of torque.

Despite the Ford turbo V-6 being just over half the displacement of the GMC V-8, it puts out noticeably more horsepower and torque while getting substantially better gas mileage. I guess maybe it doesn't sound as good? I'm happy with the V-6.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, Ford is doing it to us again, just like they did with the Ranger re-introduction. I hate this milk the hell out of the hype forever and then trickle out vehicles. For christ's sake, its March 2019 and dealers are just now starting get proper allotments of new Rangers. And the Euro market gets the Ranger Raptor, but not Ford's largest market...the US. Really? When will we get to see the 'actual' 2020 Bronco? Maybe December of 2020 with production volume to follow in May 2021. Roll Eyes

I've driven a F150 for almost 20 years now, but I fear it will be my last Ford given Ford's ridiculous behavior.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:

Man, I hope not.

I drive a Lincoln Navigator L (a tarted up long-wheelbase Expedition). It has a turbocharged 3.5 liter V-6 that makes 450hp and 500ft-lbs of torque.

I used to drive a GMC Yukon Denali XL (a tarted up Suburban). It had a 6.2 liter V-8 that made 403hp and 417 ft-lbs of torque.

Despite the Ford turbo V-6 being just over half the displacement of the GMC V-8, it puts out noticeably more horsepower and torque while getting substantially better gas mileage. I guess maybe it doesn't sound as good? I'm happy with the V-6.

Don't interrupt the griping with actual information.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The movie studio had some sort of prototype here next door last year. It was kept under cover and we weren't allowed anywhere near the lot.

We could see it when they drove it around the set from our rooftop, then back inside the studio it went.

Ford delivered and picked it up it in a covered truck.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s based on the ranger right? It has a manual option. I’d be surprised if they didn’t offer a manual. It’s competitor offers a manual option....

The only transmission I see available for Ranger is a 10-speed electronic automatic which had me thinking it'll likely be the same for the Bronco.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:

Man, I hope not.

Don't interrupt the griping with actual information.
I’m sure shagl isn’t talking about a twin turbo V6 he’s probably more concerned with it only being available with a turbo 4.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 300hp Ecoboost 4 would be killer in a 1st gen Bronco.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
A 300hp Ecoboost 4 would be killer in a 1st gen Bronco.

Slap the D35 in it and then we're talkn'!!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Will it be offered in a manual is my question.

There's rumors that it will be offered with a manual.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-...l-transmi-1829563048

TRUCK YEAH
The 2020 Ford Bronco Could Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission

Bozi Tatarevic
10/09/18 9:06amFiled to: FORD BRONCO

The number of new cars available with a manual transmission gets smaller every year, and even sports sedans like the new BMW 3 Series are getting rid of them for the U.S. market. And while trucks and SUVs have overwhelmingly been equipped with automatics in recent years, we might have a new savior in the form of the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco.

According to sources who spoke with Jalopnik, Ford has tapped Getrag to build a manual transmission for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco. The new transmission which is to be dubbed, the MT-88 will be a seven-speed gearbox and will likely be paired with their 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.

Ford currently partners with Getrag to produce the MT-82 six-speed manual for the Mustang, so it is possible that this new transmission will feature some similar components or possibly even end up in the next generation of that car.

This new transmission is being planned for the Bronco at this time, but since the vehicle is still under development, plans for it may change as we get closer to its reveal.

Only a few cars currently on the market use seven-speed manual gearboxes, among them the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette.

Although the take rate may not be high, the move to add a manual transmission makes a lot of sense if Ford is planning to pit the Bronco against the new Jeep Wrangler, which offers a manual transmission in certain configurations that have been praised in early reviews.

LinkedIn profiles for Getrag employees show that their engineering division in Germany has been working on a new manual transmission since 2015 that is internally called the 6/7MTI550. The base version of this project is the six-speed manual 6MTI550 which can be upgraded to a seven-speed version called the 7MTI550. This numbering scheme would fall in line with their previous projects as the Ford MT-82 was internally called the 6MTI500 prior to being installed on the Mustang.

According to a spec page on the Getrag website, the 6/7MTI550 is a six or seven-speed manual transmission that is rated for 405 lb-ft of torque which would match well to the current rating of 400 lb-ft of the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. The spec page also shows a date of 2021 as well as the capability for use in all-wheel drive applications.

Profiles for employees at the Getrag Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China show that they are working on a project that is coded MT-88, which is not surprising as they contributed to the development of the MT-82 that is currently in the Mustang. The MT-82 is built at that Nanchang facility in China so it is likely that this new MT-88 could be built there as well.

Further searches show that the Dunton Technical Centre in the UK is doing some of the development on the Ford side. According to some profiles for the team members there, they are doing work to improve the torsional level from the MT-82 to the MT-88 as well as working on the clutch and an assumed dual-mass flywheel design. The same team is also working on another mystery manual transmission that is dubbed MT-380 but it is not known at this time what products it might end up in.

We reached out to Magna, which is the parent company of Getrag and they stated that: “Unfortunately, because the new Ford Bronco is a future vehicle program, we are not able to confirm or discuss any potential content we might have.”

We also reached out to Ford and, predictably, were told it does not speculate on future products.

All of the pieces are there, and a plan appears to be in place. Now we just have to wait and see if the manual transmission makes it past the focus groups and bean counters.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post