SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPS Shipping Tip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS Shipping Tip Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I did not know this, just lucked into it surfing around: UPS has flat rate shipping.

I have a box of tractor parts to ship, 896 cubic inches, 46 pounds.

Regular UPS ground shipping: $51.xx

Flat Rate, Size Large (up to 1000 cubic inches) and 50 pounds or less: $19.95

Wonder how many times I've screwed myself by not knowing this?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s really good to know.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No exception in the fine print for the weight?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
No exception in the fine print for the weight?

Nope, as long as it's not over 50 pounds.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Good tip, thanks. I wonder if it applies to shipping ammunition.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Good tip, thanks. I wonder if it applies to shipping ammunition.

It did have a box you could check for HAZMAT, but I don't know if that affects the price. If I were to guess, I'd think it would.

Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
thank you phpaul!

i ship a lot of stuff.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I don't think loaded cartridges are considered 'HAZMAT.' Just make sure they are marked 'ORMD.' I am sure someone in the know will come along shortly and clarify this.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I don't think you missed anything. To my knowledge, it was just introduced Wednesday.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHPaul - Thank you Sir. I ship a lot of stuff also....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
ORM-D is prohibited.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/ship...erms-conditions.page

Scroll down to service restrictions.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Just in time to compete with USPS for the shopping season. Looks like the UPS drivers are going to be making some good OT this season.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
ORM-D is prohibited.

Well, damn. That would have been really handy for shipping ammo.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
It did have a box you could check for HAZMAT

Loaded ammo is not classified as "Hazmat", but powder and primers typically are.

It's a moot point anyway, because Hazmat isn't eligible for flat rate either.

quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
I don't think loaded cartridges are considered 'HAZMAT.' Just make sure they are marked 'ORMD.'

Correct. Loaded ammo is classified as "ORM-D", (which is currently in the process of being phased out and replaced by the "LQ" classification).

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
UPS & FedEx currently have a duopoly on ORM-D ammo shipments so there is no reason for them to discount shipping it by including it in the Flat Rate program. They are competing with the USPS to ship all the things that the USPS WILL allow to go Flat Rate. Ammo isn't one of them.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Are you required to use boxes you get from UPS?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Good tip. Thanks.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if I can ship to an APO address for the packages we send to my son and family in Germany every few weeks? Going to have to call UPS on this question and the question of utilizing a specific UPS box that they provide, as someone else mentioned....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Are you required to use boxes you get from UPS?

No. I actually built a wooden crate to ship the tractor parts.