SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you Googled yourself lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you Googled yourself lately? Login/Join 
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted
Sigforum is probably the most prominent public profile that I have and I'm pretty low profile. I don't Facebook, Tweet, Linkedin, or any of those. There's just not enough going on with me to bother with all that.

It's been a few years since I last checked to see what's out there. I know information gaps are being closed constantly in this cyber-connected world so I wasn't too surprised yet I was somewhat surprised.

Full name, birth date, parents and siblings full names. (I think I've used mothers middle name on website security questions before) Ex-wifes name. Partial former and current addresses and phone numbers. Make and year of my Jeep. A few other tidbits that I have to ask "Where did that come from?"

This is all just the "free" information available without signing up for or paying for a service.

I know this is not breaking news and I'm not particularly concerned about any of this. It's just the price of admission to living in the 21st century. I do recommend everyone giving it a try once in a while though. The more you know...

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just moved into a new home. It was fun doing research on all my neighbors before meeting them just by typing in their address and getting their name.

Not only do I know everything about them, I also can see inside many of their homes through Zillow.

It's amazing what information you can get online with either just a name, or just an email address...add social media into the mix and you get a full profile of just about anyone.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Not only do I know everything about them, I also can see inside many of their homes through Zillow.

It's amazing what information you can get online with either just a name, or just an email address...add social media into the mix and you get a full profile of just about anyone.

Good point, I forgot Zillow!

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did. I'm not on FB and don't have a big social media thing. There's enough on there to find where I live and the names of family members.

Shit, I thought I was half-ass off the grid.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
Shit, I thought I was half-ass off the grid.

Sorry, unless you deal strictly in cash and don't use internet, that's no longer an option.

China is Asshoe

posted Hide Post
voeterrecords.com really outed me. jerks

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky as there is a guy with the exact same name that is a professor and professors' mantra is "publish or perish." Papers all over the Internet and his own YouTube channel.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those on Facebook should delete their phone number.

Don't ask me why?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:

voterrecords.com
Wow, that's another one and I don't think you even have to be internet connected to pop up there?

China is Asshoe

posted Hide Post
yes and was kinda shocked

I thought I was a nobody

felt like Steve Martin in The Jerk when he saw his name in the phone book Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aIf1YnbbU

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Funny how photo bucket won't allow you to third party post but they'll put your entire bucket out there for anyone to see.

My god that site is a mess, pop up ads fly all over, just as you're about to click something an ad appears under your cursor and off you go to another site. ACCOUNT DELETED!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately for a lot of these folks they volunteer FAR more information themselves than exists online.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I am lucky because my name is rather common and is the name of a former NFL player along with numerous doctors, scientists and professors. To find anything on me, you have to be much more specific on Google and, even then, you will find multiple hits. What I found was a mix of accurate, inaccurate and outdated information. The few places that I found myself all had our old landline number for a phone. We haven't had a landline for years now. One had completely wrong people as relatives. I was impressed that one of them had all of our previous addresses, including in a different state 20-30 years ago. Other than that, I appear to be something of a nobody.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Google used to have a great feature where they would notify you if someone was searching your name. The must have dumped it when they got into the surveillance business.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:

voterrecords.com
Wow, that's another one and I don't think you even have to be internet connected to pop up there?
Thanks, I just followed their opt-out procedure.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Just did. Oh well.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, just for the hell of it, I googled my name. Lots of doctors and those who seem to care. Then down about 10 folks there was a book about Sodomy and the pirate tradition. Not sure how to take that. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Those of you who think you can hide by changing this or that, opting out, or whatever else it is you're planning on doing.

Don't waste your time. You can't hide online. If it's out there now, it will be out there forever. If it will be out there in the future, it will be out there forever. This ship has already sailed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. I get everything from the official artists web page to inmate records. I know who I am and even I can't find me on the internets. Smile

#1 most common first name for boys born in the 4-5 years I was and #6 most common last name... english? scotish? irish?... whatever metric it falls in it comes up as #6

Even narrowing it down to a few mile location radius there's at least 3 others.

And oddly enough I've never met anyone else with my name, not even one of the 3 nearby.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SirBeep:
I know who I am and even I can't find me on the internets. Smile

Well done sir! You have achieved invisible status! Big Grin

China is Asshoe