SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headlight Restoration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlight Restoration Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
In the 7-8 years I've been on the board I don't think I have posted about a product that really worked for me.

We have a 2006 Honda Odessey, the headlights were very badly oxidized. I tried a mother's product, and another one that didn't work. I had all but given up and thought that the lens were shot. My FIL gave me 'wipe new and this product worked awesome.

The after result. I would have had a before but I didn't expect it to work. The lens aren't perfect and the Mothers product scratched the lenses but they turned out better than I thought they would.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know, thanks!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Is this a one time fix? Or how often would you need to reapply this restorer?

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I just had the front of my new work truck covered with a clear paint protecting film. They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I find that regular maintenance seems to be the best medicine for this problem.

Clean the lenses frequently to remove oxidation buildup, use a fine polish occasionally, and the lenses a little wax from time to time to seal it.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have used Meguiar's on my sons 2010 Civic and they came out well. It will only hold up for a year, then you have to do it again. Next time I am going to put a clear coat paint when I'm done.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.
Please update us over time and let us know how that works out. I've seen a number of films do a great job at protecting against abrasion, but I've yet to see one that did very much for protecting the headlights against UV degradation. I'm curious to see how yours works out.
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I find that regular maintenance seems to be the best medicine for this problem.

Clean the lenses frequently to remove oxidation buildup, use a fine polish occasionally, and the lenses a little wax from time to time to seal it.
Excellent advice, but I'd recommend a good synthetic sealant instead of a wax to provide better protection and longevity. There are so many good ones on the market, you can pick the one you personally like best.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Good to know I had some that were really bad and used the 2M restoration kit, which worked well, followed by a sealant.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
For the record, I use toothpaste and water. Makes a perfect buffing compound that cleans headlights. Leaves a refreshing aroma afterwards too. haha

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of buffing and covering with Lamin-x (https://lamin-x.com), but I may give Wipe New a quick try.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought new ones for my wife's 2005 Toyota Solara. Will be quite a few years before they will be cloudy again.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I have two vehicles that have oxidized headlights. I've been hesitant to try the Wipe New, as it seemed it was too easy & too good to be true. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
For the record, I use toothpaste and water. Makes a perfect buffing compound that cleans headlights. Leaves a refreshing aroma afterwards too. haha

Minty fresh headlights!!! Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
couple years ago had 2005 Chevy 23' RV; the light lenses were totally messed as described above.

Used some product at least similar to this stuff the OP posts, and had amazing improvement. Worked so well we sold the unit with no effort, I'm sure that stuff helped.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
I have two vehicles that have oxidized headlights. I've been hesitant to try the Wipe New, as it seemed it was too easy & too good to be true. Maybe I'll give this stuff a try.

The Wipe New system is essentially a really aggressive solvent. You scrub with a little abrasive pad to remove contaminants that don't react to the solvent (water spots, for example), then you wipe the solvent on. The solvent essentially just melts away the top layer of plastic, revealing shiny new plastic underneath.

Seems pretty simple, albeit a little aggressive. I prefer using a rubbing or polishing compound and removing the top layer of plastic a little less aggressively.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wax or, better yet, sealant after is the key. It's just plastic, it will get worse all over again.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Unless you clearcoat them after polishing, they will get cloudy again with time.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wet sand with 1000 grit, then wash, dry and clear coat. Lasts 1-2 years or more if not driven much. Costs less than 15 bucks.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I have a truck and car I need to do

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
On a related note, I just had the front of my new work truck covered with a clear paint protecting film. They also did the headlights, and added that in addition to rock chips, the film blocks UV and prevents the lenses from discoloring.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? I had my windows tinted a couple weeks ago and they were offering a similar product for the hood of the car. The quoted cost was $1800 for the entire hood.

For that price I'd rather just repaint the hood if I have to.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My 1997 Toyota Corolla...New headlight lenses were cheap enough from Amazon that I just bought all new lenses. I'm gonna say, accounting for time and effort, it was cheaper in the long-run than "restoring" the OEM lenses, which I had done once before with a 3M kit.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post