SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm on a choo-choo train!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm on a choo-choo train! Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
Wife and I are headed to a medical conference in West Palm and Rather than fly down and rent a car we put one of ours on the auto train and we're off!

So far this is pretty damn cool

Did I mention I'm a train/Americana geek?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's only really cool if you get to sleep overnight on the train.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Probably only in the olden days. Porters to make out your bunk. Dinner in the dining car. Those were the days.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Whooooooooooowhooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I was hoping he meant a steam train. I've always wanted to ride a proper steam train. I mean, I've ridden one, which was the cog railway up Mt. Washington in NH. But, while cool, doesn't quite get the whole mystique.

A sleeper car would be cool. The longest train ride I've been on was from Pittsburgh to Boston.

Trains are awesome.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still like that. Porter will make the beds for my wife and I while we dine at 7 in the dining car Smile

I've ridden amtraks all over the northeast corridor, this will be my first longer trip

I would love to take one from Chicago to San Francisco

quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Probably only in the olden days. Porters to make out your bunk. Dinner in the dining car. Those were the days.

RMD

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Porters to make out your bunk.
And all of them were named George. What are the odds?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The auto-train is a neat way to go. My wife and I used it some years ago and it was over night. Lorton to Orlando if I recall. Easy ride down, slow ride north, visiting family on the way. Was in coach, so had reclining seats for the night. Not bad, but a sleeper would have been more fun.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dangit, ours is named Ron. I will ask him what the hell he did with George!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

——————————————————

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Cole would have been much more entertaining.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I hope the weather's good.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neato!! Trains are cool.

I want to ride the Georgetown Loop Railroad here, maybe this summer.

https://www.georgetownlooprr.com/

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I was hoping he meant a steam train. I've always wanted to ride a proper steam train. I mean, I've ridden one, which was the cog railway up Mt. Washington in NH. But, while cool, doesn't quite get the whole mystique.

A sleeper car would be cool. The longest train ride I've been on was from Pittsburgh to Boston.

Trains are awesome.

I rode on one of Conway Scenic's excursions that had a steam locomotive. I got to ride on the outside rear platform of one of the cars. On the way up, you got the best view of the scenery, but on the way back when they ran the locomotive around to the back of the train, you were right up there with it.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
First vacation the wife and I are going to take together after we sell the business and retire is a ten day rail trip through the Canadian Rockies.
5 years to go and counting.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't ridden the auto train but have had a few steam experiences in my lifetime. Back during WWII, my grandmother lived in Norman , Oklahoma, just south of OKC and my mother and I would ride the train from north of Tulsa down to OKC and then take the last forty or so miles down to Norman by the "Interurban" railway which ended up just one block from my grandmothers house. In 1959 I rode a steam train from Tulsa to Columbia , South Carolina when I went to Fort Jackson for Army basic training. Since then, the last time was about ten years ago in central Ohio (I don't remember the town) and we took a day tour through Amish country. I grew up living across the street from the railroad tracks and watched the steam to diesel transition as well as the decline of the passenger as well as freight traffic.

Today it is rare to see a train.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I took the train out to Kansas City and back about 25 years ago, so I got to sleep two nights on the train.
I have to say I really enjoyed laying in the sleeper looking out the window at the lights going by.

Before the trip, I didn't think I would be able to sleep well on the nosiy, moving train - I was wrong; I slept great.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I rode on the Durango to Silverton steam train once. Pretty neat.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I rode on the Durango to Silverton steam train once. Pretty neat.

That is a awesome trip. Not sure how they got the rails on the side of those mountains, but I'd go back just for the train ride. There is also something special about doing a steam engine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Cumbres and Toltec is another good old narrow gauge steam locomotive train. Runs from Chama, New Mexico (one of the 48 contiguous states of the USAWink ) to Antonito Colorado. It's a more humble train but has spectacular scenery.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post