I'm on a choo-choo train!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6390060124

March 16, 2017, 05:41 PM
bendable
I'm on a choo-choo train!
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's only really cool if you get to sleep overnight on the train.

I just met up with a high school friend, after 33 years, we met for lunch.

Twice a year he takes a train ride from western illinois to washington state.

He goes just for the ride, not ! to see anything or anyone in washington, just to watch the world go by.
He claims that he sleeps much better on a train .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
March 16, 2017, 06:21 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Probably only in the olden days. Porters to make out your bunk. Dinner in the dining car. Those were the days.

RMD

My mom rents a room on the train every year from Philly to Fort Lauderdale to go on cruises. She loves the train experience. That and she doesn't fly.

The only complaint that she has is that sometimes the cabins aren't clean to her standards...which means she brings her own cleaning supplies to sanitize the room.
March 16, 2017, 07:21 PM
Kevbo
So, lessons learned

The wife and I did the small sleeper, which is basically seats facing each other that turn into bunk beds

I am 6'5, 285, and wear a 54 extra long suit coat

Once the bunks were down, I just could not get comfortable on mine.

I was too broad in the shoulders and too long...I think I would have been ok if I was just off by one measurement, but every time I would get my shoulders comfortable, my legs would be off and vice versa...it doesn't help that I have a prostethic shoulder, and a lot of titanium in both legs

I *think* if I had left the chairs up and let my wife sleep in the top bunk I would have been better off.

But next time we will just get the next up higher sleeper...

It was fun...the food was good...and I like my wife so the time in the roomette was fine

EDIT: Also, apparently tomorrow I might get to see Air Force one. Where I am in west palm is near one of the President's golf courses and he is allegedly coming down to play this weekend. My hotel is full of marines and secret service (and doctors...wife and I are here for a medical conference)

I am on the top (15th floor) with a good view of the west palm airport.

St Patrick's Day, the tournament, and maybe the President. The train may be the least eventful part of this trip

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
March 16, 2017, 07:23 PM
rduckwor
My favorite memories, riding the train from east TN to southern MS in the Pullman cars. Crisp white sheets as we click-clacked southbound. The Southern Crescent rolling thru my grandmother's town at 6PM every evening. The guy in the mail car snagging the mailbag hung by the tracks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
March 16, 2017, 08:26 PM
Sunset_Va
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's only really cool if you get to sleep overnight on the train.

He claims that he sleeps much better on a train .

It is good sleeping. The first time you try to go to sleep on a clanking train is taxing, but once you get adjusted to it, it puts you in a deep slumber.

And if the train stops, and you wake up and gaze out the window, you may see some beautiful nightime scenery. I remember seeing Three Rivers Stadium and The Minn-St Paul skyline.

美しい犬
March 16, 2017, 09:42 PM
Jus228
I've never been on a train but I hope to change that someday. Sounds fun. I would enjoy just watching the world go by.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
March 16, 2017, 09:48 PM
tanksoldier
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Probably only in the olden days. Porters to make out your bunk. Dinner in the dining car. Those were the days.

We took the California Zephyr from Colorado to California. Took 3 days.

Dining car, more diner than white tablecloth but OK, our own little semi-cabin "roomette" and bunks turned down while we were at dinner.

quote:
I am 6'5, 285, and wear a 54 extra long suit coat

I had a similar problem. 6'4" 250lbs, I just barely fit.

We'll probably get the next step up if we do it again.

Could be worse. We ate with a guy who had ridden in coach from Chicago.

He was on the train for 5 days before we got on... in coach, so like a airline seat. For five days, with three to go.

I'd shoot myself if I had to do that.

One cool part is you get to see things that people driving don't see.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
March 19, 2017, 01:15 PM
bendable
decided to check in to a cross country trip, to give myself a treat .

turns out that a round trip is not abhorrently expensive.
but then I checked the accommodations.

glad I did, I am 6'4 and over 340 lbs.

I would be one miserable s.o. biscuit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
March 20, 2017, 10:40 PM
SOTAR
For the past 5 years I have been volunteering on the Holiday Express in Portland. This year I was offered and accepted a cab ride! The cab is big! seating for 4 easy, and nice and warm on a cold winter day.

Oh you wanted pictures?

This is the SP 4449,
- 80" drivers
- she'll cruise at 100mph all day long.
- built 1941
- 110' long
- 443 tons!
- 6,500 horsepower
- GS-4 Locomotive
- 250-260 PSI boiler
- She pulled the day light from LA to San Fran 4 hours faster than today's trains

SP 4449

fireman's side window

Out the fireman's side window

cab floor

Engineer Doyle who has been the engineer since it was the 1976 Freedom Train.

Out the Engineer's side widow

Looking back

Firemen's side

Engineer's Side

Tail End

March 20, 2017, 11:04 PM
Rightwire
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I was hoping he meant a steam train. I've always wanted to ride a proper steam train. I mean, I've ridden one, which was the cog railway up Mt. Washington in NH. But, while cool, doesn't quite get the whole mystique.

A sleeper car would be cool. The longest train ride I've been on was from Pittsburgh to Boston.

Trains are awesome.

I had a chance to drive one when I was 14. My mothers cousin had been into trains all of his life. He moved to Eureka Springs, Ark and bought into a small steam engine that pulled a few cars back and forth along a few miles of track. Sat in the drivers seat for a mile or so and manipulated the throttle, brake, whistle, & valves as directed. It was hot, and dirty but just as cool as you an imagine.

The engine I drove was used for one scene in the movie The Blue & The Gray. Movie people added a larger cow catcher and a big funnel shroud over the straight stack to dress it up. If I recall it is sitting on a bridge in the scene in question, which was also part of the railway he owned.

There is a Wikipedia page, but it doesn't mention him by name. I believe he was involved 8-10 years or so.

Had to make a phone call but the one I drove was the first one as it was wood fired
No. 1, a 2-6-0 (Mogul), built 1906, Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, PA; serial #29588; wood-burner; 75,000 lb (34,000 kg); 200 psi (1,400 kPa); 12,000 lb (5,400 kg) tractive effort.[7] Retired in the late 1990s because of the expense of burning 1½ to 2 cords of wood each workday. An expensive boiler re-build was also mandated by the state boiler inspector. In early 2011, the loco was moved to the[8] Reader Railroad in Reader, Arkansas for evaluation and possible repair.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 21, 2017, 10:30 AM
zoom6zoom
My scout troop used to make trips to Steamtown USA which was at the time located in Bellows Falls, Vermont. Then they packed up and moved to Scranton, PA.

Looks like they are still there, and now a National Historic site operated by the Park Service. Looks like they still do steam excursions.
https://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
March 21, 2017, 10:11 PM
SOTAR
Steamtown does do excursions. Smile

So does the Virginia Museum of Transportation!

N&W 611!!!

March 22, 2017, 05:23 AM
tacfoley
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
For the past 5 years I have been volunteering on the Holiday Express in Portland. This year I was offered and accepted a cab ride! The cab is big! seating for 4 easy, and nice and warm on a cold winter day.

Oh you wanted pictures?

This is the SP 4449,
- 80" drivers
- she'll cruise at 100mph all day long.
- built 1941
- 110' long
- 443 tons!
- 6,500 horsepower
- GS-4 Locomotive
- 250-260 PSI boiler
- She pulled the day light from LA to San Fran 4 hours faster than today's trains

SP 4449

fireman's side window

Out the fireman's side window

cab floor

Engineer Doyle who has been the engineer since it was the 1976 Freedom Train.

Out the Engineer's side widow

Looking back

Firemen's side

Engineer's Side

Tail End

Great pics there, Sir!!! As frequent visitors to PDX we're looking forward to 700 getting back into service, too.

Best

tac - Friend of the PCRA
March 22, 2017, 05:35 AM
mbinky
A friend of mine does a lot of volunteer work at an old rail in Wiscasset, Maine. Here is a pic of their engine pulling back into the station last winter.