SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best nonstick skillet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best nonstick skillet Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
My wife is wanting a new nonstick egg skillet. We've tried T-Fal and we even tried ceramic. The ceramic was great. But after 18 months the ceramic coating is peeling. We thought it was ceramic all the way through. I guess we were wrong.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good non-stick skillet? I don't mind paying a high price if it is sure-enough good and will last forever.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought my wife a set of Calphalon Premiere pots and pans, teflon infused, that are working out great so far.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For the last 5 years, I have cooked my Saturday morning fried eggs in a Tramontina Professional 8" fry pan. I also have the 10" and the 14".

The non-stick is very good, it's well made, and the silicon handle is slide off so I can go in the oven to preheat/cook.

CamelCamelCamel says that it's at a high price currently. To put the 8" current price in perspective, earlier this year I bought the 14" of Amazon for $33.99

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I keep a pair of these around. I mistreat them, put the through the dishwasher, etc. and then throw one away and replace it when I've fucked it up. They work well and hold up well.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well there just about isn't really a buy it once and last forever nonstick skillet. Ceramic, teflon, PTFE, green whatever, gimmick of the month, etc, finishes wear off.

However, I bought a Matfer Bourgeat steel pan. From France, this is a carbon steel fry pan that is similar to a cast iron skillet, but much much lighter. No funky coating to flake off. Just carbon steel. Season it per their directions and you'll have a nonstick egg cooker. I believe these are used in commercial kitchens in constant heavy cooking. They are not going to be stylish and flashy attractive looking like you're used to.

Google it, read up on them, buy one. Don't buy any other brand! Matfer Bourgeat!

You'll have to spend a little time on maintenance, just as you would with a cast iron skillet, but it'll be worth it.

I have a couple different sizes. I have 2 that are around 10-12 inch size, and I just ordered a crepe pan Matfer Crepe Pan the Crepe Pans are available in several different sizes. Price is very reasonable.

Here's an example, I just grabbed this YouTube video at random for illustration.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4u9wSUK7LcI

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cast iron. Season correctly and don’t apply too much heat. Works great. My next one will be a stargazer http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
Cast iron. Season correctly and don’t apply too much heat. Works great. My next one will be a stargazer http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

Me too, currently using an older small Griswold for eggs. Properly seasoned and properly preheated, my scrambled eggs come of 100% clean. Stainless steel works to if properly preheated and a little oil used.

If you don’t want cast iron I’d spend the time looking for a solid ceramic... they must exist.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Scan Pan that is holding up well if you need non stick coated. My cast iron do great after seasoning is laid down.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I have a Scan Pan that is holding up well if you need non stick coated. My cast iron do great after seasoning is laid down.

I forgot about scan pan. It’s a great option. You can use metal utensils and will not damage the surface.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried the various "copper" pans and they work BUT one has to re-season them from time to time (which is no big deal). Picked up a Blue Diamond skillet at Walmart and it's been great. Heats evenly and nothing sticks ... easy to clean.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A well seasoned cast iron pan. Your future self will thank you for it.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife was a housewares buyer at one time and we have a pretty good collection of cookware. Her recommendation is All Clad, the one I'm in the market for is an egg pan, too, and this is on my Amazon Wish List:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UTsig,

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:
I have tried the various "copper" pans and they work BUT one has to re-season them from time to time (which is no big deal). Picked up a Blue Diamond skillet at Walmart and it's been great. Heats evenly and nothing sticks ... easy to clean.

Just got one of these as well, hadn't had it long but I like it so far. If it doesn't hold up for a long time, I'm not out much money. I'll just go back to Walmart and get another.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
Do any of you have suggestions for a good non-stick skillet? I don't mind paying a high price if it is sure-enough good and will last forever.

"Forever" and non stick pans really don't go together.

We have a large collection of All-Clad pots and pans, but our non-stick pan is an inexpensive one that we replace every couple of years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I've resigned myself to just buying a new tfal when the old one starts to flake. I have tried everything, up to and including the french made ceramic coated cast iron that is supposed bullet proof.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Tramontina. It had been a regular for decades here but now serves as a "backup alternative" to our well seasoned Stargazer cast iron skillets (we have a pair). The 8" Tramontina is sold in sets of two and are very inexpensive.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
For the last 5 years, I have cooked my Saturday morning fried eggs in a Tramontina Professional 8" fry pan. I also have the 10" and the 14".

The non-stick is very good, it's well made, and the silicon handle is slide off so I can go in the oven to preheat/cook.

CamelCamelCamel says that it's at a high price currently. To put the 8" current price in perspective, earlier this year I bought the 14" of Amazon for $33.99

I have a nice set of multi-clad SS pans but I use the Tramontina for eggs and other non-stick stuff.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Put enough butter or oil in your steel or iron skillet and the eggs don't stick.

I have non-stick ones, though. I just buy cheapish ones, knowing they don't last forever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco has J.A. Henckels--- Granitium, 3 pieces for $80.00. Very good stuff.

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Having tried making them in a De Buyer Mineral B Element, Demeyere Atlantis, 1919 Griswold cast iron and All-Clad, I prefer to fry eggs in the $20 Tramontina I got at Costco to keep my daughter from ruining good stuff.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post