SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best nonstick skillet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best nonstick skillet Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m kind of a nut for nonstick aluminum fry pans. Love the light weight. After cooking something, they’re easily cleaned to a like-new condition – no odor carry-over to the next cooking task.The best one I’ve found is this Kyocera:

https://kyoceraadvancedceramic...-coated-fry-pan.html

I’ve used it for three years and it’s still like new. Nobody makes ceramic coatings as well as Kyocera. They claim that you can use metal utensils, but I have good nylon and silicone utensils so use those. Up to 400 °F for oven. They’re available in 8, 10, and 12 inch sizes. A SS insert in the bottom makes it useable on induction cooktops but I use mine on a ceramic cooktop.

Edit: Another nice thing about the Kyocera: there’s a lip around its rim that reduces drips when pouring off liquids.

From the OP: “We thought it was ceramic all the way through. I guess we were wrong.”

The Kyocera’s surface is ceramic all the way through. Applied by vapor deposition.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
Cast iron. Season correctly and don’t apply too much heat. Works great. My next one will be a stargazer http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

Me too, currently using an older small Griswold for eggs. Properly seasoned and properly preheated, my scrambled eggs come of 100% clean. Stainless steel works to if properly preheated and a little oil used.

If you don’t want cast iron I’d spend the time looking for a solid ceramic... they must exist.

I’m sure there’s other great pans that are non-stick that aren’t cast iron that are absolutely worth having. But yes, get at least a few different sizes of cast iron pans, and properly care for them. You will be glad you did. Anymore, cast iron is just about all I use in the kitchen. Double-plus good if you’re pure cooking over and open flame on a gas stove, and you can throw them in the oven without worry.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Cook's Illustrated did a test of 12" nonstick pans.

Their conclusion was that nonstick pans wear out pretty quickly, even the very expensive ones, and so you should just buy a decent inexpensive ones and replace them when they start wearing out.

They tested a bunch of reasonably priced nonstick pans for how nonstick they were, how evenly they cooked, how durable the coating was, etc.

Their winner was the OXO Good Grips pan, which is $37.

I bought one to replace an All-Clad nonstick pan which had become completely non-nonstick. The All-Clad sells for about $215.

The OXO has been just as good to cook with. I have no complaints. I did buy the somewhat more expensive one with the metal handle, but the pan itself is identical.

Plus, even if it turned out the OXO coating was less durable than the All-Clad (which I have seen no evidence of, yet), you could buy *five* of the OXO pans and still have some cash left over for the price of the All-Clad.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Cook's Illustrated did a test of 12" nonstick pans.

Link to referenced write-up.

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...ut-nonstick-skillets

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
Do any of you have suggestions for a good non-stick skillet? I don't mind paying a high price if it is sure-enough good and will last forever.

"Forever" and non stick pans really don't go together.

We have a large collection of All-Clad pots and pans, but our non-stick pan is an inexpensive one that we replace every couple of years.

This. Unless you want to go cast iron (which is a 100+ year life IF treated well), go inexpensive and replace every two years. I have both (cast iron and teflon (from costco)) and use use the hell of of the teflon and replace every even New Year and treat the cast iron lovingly and don't use it for eggs. I could, but I don't.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I use exclusively cast iron, it's plenty non-stick and it'll last forever.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just purchased a 3 qt. pot that is non - stick,
it came with 3 pages of what NOT to do , and how not to use it and care instructions.

it was all news to me ,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post