SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago: selling criminals their guns & drugs on Facebook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago: selling criminals their guns & drugs on Facebook Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180103-story.html

Another arrest in probe of secret Facebook group that sold guns, drugs

A Northwest Side man faces more than two dozen felony charges after he surrendered to Chicago police Tuesday, the latest arrest in a drug and gun-running investigation into a secret Facebook group, authorities said.

Sergio Barrera, 23, of the 3700 block of North Octavia Avenue in Belmont Heights, turned himself in at the Jefferson Park District police station about 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

Barrera was wanted on seven charges of armed violence with a category II weapon, a count of gun-running, eight counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, eight counts of unlawful sale of firearms, five counts of possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number and nine counts of delivery of a controlled substance, police said in a news release. All the charges are felonies.

Barrera’s arrest was part of “Operation Fishnet 4,” in which undercover officers gained access to an invitation-only Facebook group and made several purchases. The investigation led to the arrest of 50 people and warrants issued for 18 others, police said.

Police have complained that Facebook did not cooperate with the investigation and even shut down covert accounts set up by officers who tried to infiltrate the group, which is not publicly shown in searches.

During the investigation, police arranged the purchase of 18 firearms and about $46,000 worth of drugs, including from a teacher who was found with drug paraphernalia at Leland Elementary School on the West Side.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...including from a teacher who was found with drug paraphernalia at Leland Elementary School on the West Side.
There really isn't anything quite like leading by example. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
They should have opted for the platinum memberships.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
It's a damn shame criminals can get guns easier than us law abiding citizens.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Facebook immediately suspended all their accounts for violation of terms of service. Roll Eyes

You're not allowed to sell guns on FB after all.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I don't do FB but how do you start a "secret FB group" and sell drugs and guns without FB shutting down the whole thing in the first place?
Chicago PD should have let the Feds charge. Cook County will give everyone probation because it's only their 7th felony. Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, it depends on what side of town they are from. That's the determining factor in charging.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't do FB but how do you start a "secret FB group" and sell drugs and guns without FB shutting down the whole thing in the first place?

I don't believe they are monitored any more than your regular feed is. Short of somebody reporting a post/image, nobody at Facebook will ever see it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's a secret group so no one will report any posts.

Any other groups that posts a picture of a gun, some snowflake gets triggered and reports it and that page gets warned or shut down.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post