SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Epoxy Garage Floor Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Epoxy Garage Floor Repair Login/Join 
posted
When my house was built ten years ago, I had the garage floor professionally painted with epoxy paint and the chips. Now I have some areas about the diameter of a golf ball that are bare concrete. Anyone had experience with repair. Company that did it is out of business and I don't need to buy a gallon of paint, just enough to repair.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cusingeorge
posted Hide Post
The only way to repair it is to use the same or similar (competitive) technology. You should probably identify the cause for the peeling in those areas first and address it before an attempt to re-coat is made. The chances of matching the color is probably slim, but if you can find the original coating used, that'd be your best bet.

You'll find a "repair kit" by using Google, here's one I found: http://www.originalcolorchips...._page=index&cPath=40

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2196 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great link. Thanks.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 yrs on a garage floor is very good

Scrape areas loosing adhesion, Spot etch and recoat the entire floor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do epoxy and Poly concrete coating for a living. I can't stress enough that the prep work is the most important part. Be sure any loose coating is removed before doing repair work. Degrease with simple green. I would be happy to walk you through the process if you need. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran into that with aircraft hangers.

Poor concrete floor prep is often a cause of the problem.

Next quality of the Epoxy material and the firm applying it are big deal. Some major epoxy firms have great hype but a lousy product. Do your homework on this.

Big missing areas of material may mean recoating of the floor rather than patches. Nevertheless, it is your decision.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
I do epoxy and Poly concrete coating for a living. I can't stress enough that the prep work is the most important part. Be sure any loose coating is removed before doing repair work. Degrease with simple green. I would be happy to walk you through the process if you need. My email is in my profile.

Thank you. The driveway outside the garage is concrete aggregate. The house is ten years old and there are some hairline cracks extending from the outside into the front of the garage and that seems to be related to the 2-3 areas of missing paint. I figure stopping the cracks is a lost cause as they will just reform. Not thinking of trying to replace chips. Overall color is tan. I figure some tan paint even without the chips will look better than the bare concrete.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I fixed cracks in my basement floor by taking a chisel and cutting a V in the crack to allow a deep fill of the crack. The V depth was only about an inch deep. A vacuum cleaner was used to get all the loose material out. I used a spray bottler to dampen the crack before applying the cement.

I used Quikrete Water Stop cement to fill the crack using a 1/4 inch tuck pointing trowel. I let it dry for about half hour and then sprayed it with water and used a brick to make sure it was level and smooth with the surrounding surface.

I later used epoxy paint on the floor and you can't find the crack. That was at least 20+ years ago.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post