SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Subaru Legacy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Subaru Legacy? Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
Wife needs a new car and we have a Subaru dealership nearby. Drove through the lot today and the Legacy caught our attention.
Looks nice but was wondering if the mighty SF membership could shed some real world experience about it.
I understand there is some concern about being a little under powered but we're getting older and maybe not much of a problem.

Anyone care to pipe in?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great car. Bought one years ago for the wife at the time. The all wheel drive is awesome in the snow and she drove in confidence.
Gas mileage is a bit on the low side as the AWD is full time. Comfortable and the power is there if you need it.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Ours is 2015 4 cyl version. Plenty of power plus 30++ mpg. Some road noise on some surfaces. No issues in 18000 miles.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It's the sedan version of the OB and we have threads here on Subie ownership.

With my hands on the King James, introduce your wife to the 2017 Forester. Women love it because it has excellent visibility, sits a bit higher than the Legacy and it has a huge sunroof.

Subie salesmen have told me that women are drawn to it for those primary reasons.

I have the OB and love it.

cars101.com is the place to go.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited with 164,000 on the clock.
Regular maintenance, 4 struts at 120,000, a rear wheel bearing at 140,000.
Still 33 mpg on the highway (EPA est 28mpg). I think the new ones are stickered at 38 mpg?

Great car. Made in Indiana on a nature preserve that puts nothing into a landfill, if that stuff is persuasive, to you.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I have a '14 Outback and love it. My buddy has a Legacy and he gets much better gas mileage than I do. They're great cars. Built like tanks.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I have has 2 Legacy sedans as company cars. I've had a 2014 and now a 2017. I put 90k on the 14 and it was mostly trouble free. It had a mystery coolant leak, but that was it. The steering sucked, was like parking a yacht. The new car is better in every way. The car is a little under powered as you mentioned, but awesome in inclimate weather. All in all, a solid car. Hard to beat for $24k new. If it was my money, I would buy one.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Crosstrek. Haven't ridden in a Legacy, but I also haven't ridden in a Subaru I didn't like.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has an '11 Outback, I drive a '14 Legacy. They both have the 2.5L 4. The Legacy handles well, I remember reading somewhere that it has "sporting pretensions". The ride is somewhat taught and the OB actually is smoother if the road is at all rough. Both have been very solid and reliable.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Legacys are great cars, had an opportunity to put about 5,000 miles on one. Averaged 28-30 MPG (2.5i) driving like a moron. Very quiet and comfortable, and the heated seats are SERIOUS. "Apparently" it tops out at 131 MPH. Or so I'm told Wink

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the sedan version of the Outback...or the other way around, depending on how you want to look at it.

Had a '03 Outback which I recently traded in for a '17 Outback 3.6R. If you want a little more power then consider the 3.6R Legacy (3.6L flat 6, regular gas, 256HP/247 lb.ft). If fuel economy is a concern then don't test drive the 3.6R, because in all liklihood you'll want the bigger engine.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been an Accord fan for the last 20 years. We just bought a Legacy because we gave our car to our daughter's family when she moved back to the mainland. We decided to go the AWD route and it was great last winter. We had to have the sun roof replaced (a lot of wind noise) under warranty. Other than that zero problems. It's got about 30K miles on it now. After doing a winter with AWD I'll never go back. I believe that Subaru is the best (or close to it) AWD manufacturer.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I drive a 2012 Outback. I've got 100k on the clock and have had three maintenance issues, all covered undef warranty. One was a tire issue, so that's not a Subaru issue. I had a rear wheel bearing replaced, and the lumbar support in the drivers seat went. Both issues were done under warranty. Other than that it's been minor fluids and tires. I still get 30-31 in all highway and 25-27 in mixed driving. I think the current motors all use timing chains, so no belt to worry about.

A word about tires. They warn you go stay on top of rotations or the AWD system can have maintenence issues. I rotate every other oil change and got 55k on my last set of Michelin Defenders. It's been an excellent car.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I think the current motors all use timing chains, so no belt to worry about.

A word about tires. They warn you go stay on top of rotations or the AWD system can have maintenence issues. I rotate every other oil change and got 55k on my last set of Michelin Defenders. It's been an excellent car.

2012 OB still has a belt - switch to timing chain 2013 and later.

My Subarus do not like directional tread tires - after the 1st rotation wear gets funny cause you cant switch sides.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
It's the sedan version of the OB and we have threads here on Subie ownership.

With my hands on the King James, introduce your wife to the 2017 Forester. Women love it because it has excellent visibility, sits a bit higher than the Legacy and it has a huge sunroof.

Subie salesmen have told me that women are drawn to it for those primary reasons.

I have the OB and love it.

cars101.com is the place to go.

I can attest to this. My wife test drove the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester. She nixed the Honda because of blind spots and small back window. We bought a 2017 Forester Touring on Saturday.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post