SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The little ball on the tip of your car antenna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The little ball on the tip of your car antenna Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This is why I joined SF. For the depth of knowledge on most any topic.
Corona Balls.
Now, if someone should ask me about the little ball on a car antenna, I can answer with confidence.

Isn't that what you get when you forget the lime in your cerveza?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13

14 !

14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

Actually, it looks like the ball has a purpose aside from keeping you from getting poked. Something about static electricity

Eye see what you did here lol.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

I did this to my F150. Trimmed off about an inch. Doesn't hit the door anymore, and I can't tell any difference the reception.

The little aftermarket shorties did not work.

Did you put the ball back on
? Did your radio explode?

Sure I put it back on. Little blue locktite, couple taps with a hammer, and you can’t even tell it was altered.

Nothing exploded, but I was disappointed that it didn’t help the gas mileage.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the neighbor fixed it with a 8 inch wide by 15 inch long piece of dryer vent duct.

he nailed it to the Header(?)

where the antenna hits
and and now it slides right in and out,
over the flashing ,instead of the square corners of the wood

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
You're just going to have to buy a new house with a taller garage!

Nonsense, he just needs to cut a higher "antenna channel" so it doesn't hit.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The antenna on my 2012 Tacoma also hit my garage door so I replaced it with this little puppy.

I saw zero change in reception AM or FM. About $12 from Amazon as I recall.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the neighbor fixed it with a 8 inch wide by 15 inch long piece of dryer vent duct.

he nailed it to the Header(?)

where the antenna hits
and and now it slides right in and out,
over the flashing ,instead of the square corners of the wood

Did you post this in the right thread?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
You're just going to have to buy a new house with a taller garage!

You win the internet today. Made me laugh out loud at that one. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE!!!

I took antenna off in the driveway and the radio worked just fine. So I cut 4 inches off, a little work with a file and glued the ball back on, touched up with some black spray paint.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Cut it, then replace the ball with this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-O...OUNTED-/261288478476

I just ordered a pair. My dad is coming for a visit shortly, I'll put one on his car, he will get a kick out of it. I vaguely remember one on his Maverick I believe

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was for the balance and the static electricity thing sounds reasonable.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball shape on tip presents larger surface area enabling the static to discharge constantly at a lower charge buildup thereby preventing larger powered buildup which produces a periodic audible pop on the am band. I read this back when cars only had am and the longer one extended the antenna, the better the reception when far from the broadcaster. Artl years later said this was bunk and the ball was there to prevent injury.

Vehicle Antennas today are usually cut to a length to maximize fm band reception and are a fixed length cut to a length appropriate to the middle of the fm broadcast band. Not always ideal for am reception but the am band uses the same antenna.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New cars still use external antennae’s? My 2008 expedition has it built into the windshield.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I received 2, I put one on my truck and saved the other for my dad!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Been thinking of pitting a shark antenna on my Rav4 so I don't need to keep removing it to go through a car was. I'm just concerned on how bad the reception will be since I'm usually at least 20 miles or more from most broadcasting antennas.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post