SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New computer or win 10 upgrade?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New computer or win 10 upgrade? Login/Join 
posted
The neighbors 11 y.o computer does everything she wants,
I use it to Sig Forum and google crap,research junk and you tube, and e-mail once a month.

She is considering a new computer , .

I am wondering how many wonderful things have happened to computers , ( in the last 10 years,)
too justify a $600-$700 cost ?

for the limited amount of stuff we use it for,
what great advantage will we see ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom was in a similar situation, and we went with a new Chromebook. $300 picked up a nice 15”
screen model.

Have you considered one or do you want to stick with a Windows machine?

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Time for a new computer. Installing Win10 won't make anything better, only worse. They can get something quite good for under $500.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
For what they do, go with a tablet.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The neighbors 11 y.o computer does everything she wants,

She should consider a new computer...
but as long as this one does everything she wants, why not keep running it as is?
But still, you are probably on borrowed time before it becomes super slow and frustrating.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
11 years old?

Hmmmm... wife has a 10 year old macbook that works like it's brand new. Mine is 9 years old this year and still running strong.

If it were mine, I'd get a new solid state disk, install a fresh copy of Windows 10, then copy over all the old data. And probably make sure it had at least 8GB of RAM while I had the case open.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Have a 12 year old Dell laptop (Vostro 1000) with an ancient AMD 64x2 CPU. Last year dumped XP and installed Linux Mint (as recommended here on the forum) along with a small SSD drive and a memory expansion. Sucker runs like a new machine and serves as a great backup to the Win10 Desktop.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Win 10 requires a "modern" computer. 11 years old probably won't be able to even load the software.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given what you noted you and she do with this computer, I'd replace it with a good tablet or Chromebook. Much less expensive, and current tech.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Win 10 is free and very easy to install. I’d give it a try, choosing the option to let it erase everything from the computer. Of course any files she wants to keep need to be saved to an external drive first. The PC may be too old for it to install, but it’s worth a shot. If it installs but is too slow, nothing will have been lost but some time.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows 7 will run fine for years. Don't fall for Microsoft's scare tactics.

A SSD will certainly help speed things up.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:

True, and I would keep running windows 7, but now software that I need to run (like Turbo Tax for Tax Year 2019), won't install on Windows 7 - it insists you have to run it on Windows 10. Grrr….

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I spent several hours trying to get started with the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7. I have been running Windows 7 for several years. I bought a license, and tried to download Windows 10 by using the media creation tool. I couldn't even get the media creation tool to work to create an install memory stick. I got frustrated and ordered an installation DVD.

It's pretty damn bad that their tool to download and create install media won't even work. I googled and tried all the recommended solutions for the specific error I kept getting.
I have a BS degree in Computer Science and 35 years experience, (although admittedly long since moved into management rather than twiddling bits, but still...).

Why is this so difficult? If I am having this much trouble, I feel sorry for novice users.

Sigh...Maybe I'm just getting old, senile, and am forgetting how to do things.

The PC I am trying to upgrade is a quad core 3.4GHZ processor and 16GB main memory and an SSD disk for its 'C' drive. It still performs well, no reason to ditch it for a new one (It's a desk top).

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
bendable, i believe i've helped you with your neighbor's computer a few times over the years.

As I've stated in a few recent threads, what we do and how we do it hasn't changed enough to justify a new, more powerful machine in most cases. It's mostly business as usual.

In your particular case, i'd suggest a full thorough backup AND a copy of the old machine contents just in case the hardware goes TU.

Nothing wrong with the machine per se.

On the other hand, if you MUST move to the current Tax software edition, you will need a new OS as well. Your software, but your neighbors machine....?

A tablet won't do.

If you buy a new PC, you can also try Linux on the old one, as bald1 suggested, once you have moved all contents to the new machine and are happy with the results. No rush.

Investing in computers is worth it ONLY if your investment will pay its benefits soon enough and will save you a lot of time. Time is valuable and priceless.

Feel free to contact me if you need help moving contents from one computer to another. Always a pleasure to assist you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Yesterday I spent several hours trying to get started with the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7. I have been running Windows 7 for several years. I bought a license, and tried to download Windows 10 by using the media creation tool. I couldn't even get the media creation tool to work to create an install memory stick. I got frustrated and ordered an installation DVD.

It's pretty damn bad that their tool to download and create install media won't even work. I googled and tried all the recommended solutions for the specific error I kept getting.
I have a BS degree in Computer Science and 35 years experience, (although admittedly long since moved into management rather than twiddling bits, but still...).

Why is this so difficult? If I am having this much trouble, I feel sorry for novice users.

Sigh...Maybe I'm just getting old, senile, and am forgetting how to do things.

The PC I am trying to upgrade is a quad core 3.4GHZ processor and 16GB main memory and an SSD disk for its 'C' drive. It still performs well, no reason to ditch it for a new one (It's a desk top).

Bummer.

I downloaded the free creation tool here. I got the 32/64 bit version, put it on a thumb drive, and have upgraded about 15 Dell computers, most of which are very old, with as little as 2 GB RAM. So far they've all gone smoothly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. My Windows 7 is doing everything I need it to do. I will keep using it until it goes belly up.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

True, and I would keep running windows 7, but now software that I need to run (like Turbo Tax for Tax Year 2019), won't install on Windows 7 - it insists you have to run it on Windows 10. Grrr….

d
Any program that pulls this crap won't get my business.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 10 y/o HP computer using Win7 and I am currently running TurboTax for 2019. Every time I start the S/W, it asks me if I want to run it on Win7 or upgrade to Win10. Annoying, but it still runs on Win7.

However, this won't work for TurboTax for 2020.

Posts: 9038 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft isn't even doing security patches to Windows 7 any more.

I do not understand why anyone would run Windows 7 at this point.

If I am missing something please explain it to me.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the specs of the machine, but if it's 11 years old, those are probably not going to be good. I won't put Win 10 on anything with less than 8GB of RAM on it...preferably 12-16GB. Win 10 is a pig, and the user experience is horrible if you try to run it on a machine with inadequate resources. If Win 7 is working for you now, leave it alone. Practice safe browsing practices and scan for malware on a regular basis (which you should be doing anyway), and you'll be fine. I plan to keep using my Win 7 box well into the foreseeable future.

That said, on newer machines with modern processors, 12-16GB of RAM, and an SSD, Win 10 can actually run faster than 7 because it takes advantage of the newer technology. That's not going to be the case with what you have here, though.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post