SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Occasionally, I know what I'm talking about
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Occasionally, I know what I'm talking about Login/Join 
posted
Son called and said a neighbor was stopping by to borrow tools.

The neighbor came by and said he was replacing the CVT solenoid in his F150 and needed a Torex bit.

Mentioned to him it would be a good idea to tape the Torex bit to the extension and the extension to the ratchet to keep them from dropping into the engine.

"Okey Dokey"

Came back about an hour later to get a magnet to try and fish out the Torex bit out of the head.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but folks do not listen. Did you say anything to him when he came back?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Yes, such as "you can buy my replacement torex at such and such...."

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't say anything, he was semi-panicked and I'm not that cruel. If he doesn't fish it out, the front end of that engine has to come off to get it out.

That $5.00 bit could cost him a lot of money.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
At first I thought, why does an F150 have a CVT?

Then I realized he was working on the cam phasers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Seems there is a relationship between the age difference between me and the person I am counseling and the odds they give any credence to what I'm saying.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The WWW has made everyone an expert.

posted Hide Post
Torx

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Seems there is a relationship between the age difference between me and the person I am counseling and the odds they give any credence to what I'm saying.

Truth!

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Torx

Anything constructive?

posted Hide Post
I've learned to heed advice from anybody more experienced than I. After many headaches and being as stubborn than a mule, I realized they are trying to help.
My life has become much better since that revelation.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be blunt old people know shit. I remember a young person commenting on an older man getting the drop on some guys trying to break into his home. He said something to the effect that you don't mess with old guys cause you never know how many Nazis or Viet Cong they might have killed back in the day. Certainly not a sophisticated comment, but he seemed to understand.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
The subtle "told ya do" is usually best

Make him wait on you, to go fetch the magnet. Without comment, hand him the magnet and a roll of tape!

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Torx

Anything constructive?

That was constructive. I was just about to google what a "torex" bit was. Seriously, I thought it was something of which I was unaware.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I try and help people with my experiences, but if they choose to grow their expertise with their own "experience", I have no problem with that.

Sometimes letting someone learn for themselves will go a long way in making them think the next thing through.

If it is not a life or death, or safety issue, it is almost always fixable.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My primary flight instructor often said that the beauty of experience was that it enabled you to recognise a mistake when you made it again.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it is cruel but I would have asked when he came back, "Didn't tape that bit like I told you to, huh?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
= "Didn't tape that bit like I told you to, huh?"

Just a gentle way of saying "I told you so".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
My primary flight instructor often said that the beauty of experience was that it enabled you to recognise a mistake when you made it again.

That's some gosh darned good wisdom right there! Thanks Jallen!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Stolen! Should be a quote of the day.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post