SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Used Pontoon Boat buying tips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Pontoon Boat buying tips Login/Join 
Picture of Unishot
posted
Hello all.
I am looking at purchasing a used pontoon boat. A few questions for the all-knowing brain trust:

Are there brands I should be looking toward or avoiding? What is important to look for when doing the inspection?

I think I might have a couple picked out but could sure use some advice.

I would love a tri-toon, but to get one in the size/configuration we like, it seems to be cost prohibitive. Also, there don't appear very many on the used market in the area I live. So, I'm looking at 24'-26' regular pontoon boats with a sink station, changing room/toilet/sundeck and dual reclining fishing seats at the front and back.

I welcome and appreciate your advice!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Unishot,

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The engine is what you are really buying.

Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki 4strokes in that order.

Only reason Honda second is there aren't many service centers / dealers.

That length boat I wouldn't consider anything less than a 90hp or better yet 115. Wouldn't be a screamer but would be cheaper.

If you are going to tube or ski bite the bullet and get a 150 or bigger.

If no service records available and if they can't tell you what dealer or marina serviced it then stay away.

Sun damage on seats, look decking over for soft spots. As far as the boats themselves they are all about the same in each respective price class.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The PlayCraft Powertoon has been rock solid for us with the Honda 225.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Make sure it floats.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't recall much about it but a cousin bought a 'totalled' tri-toon with a Volvo 6 in it. It had gotten loose in a storm on Lake Conroe & had a massive dent in one of the pontoons. He got the boat for a bargain & it didn't cost much to repair the dent.

Definitely had some speed to it & was much more comfortable than my grandfather's 26' Cobalt on the choppy waters of Lake Conroe. Had no problem pulling tubes or skiers with it. Less thirsty than the 454 in the Cobalt too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tanner and Nikki can probably help you with the shakedown cruise.

Remember the couple that sank their boat in two days on their retirement trip?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How often are you going to use it?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Stick with the outboard versions. Some of the trailers suck and are easy to tip. Tri-toons are great on big water but less of a benefit on small inland lakes.

Around here Manitous are popular but many brands seem equally nice.

Yamahas are really popular for motors.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Are you going to trailer it or leave it in the water? You've got to be good to keep from looking like a newbie when launching/loading pontoons. Wind and current can make for a long afternoon at the ramp unless you know what you are doing. If you will tow it be sure it's a high quality trailer.

If fishing is what you're looking to mainly do I'd stick to a 70 Yamaha, I like oil injected 2 stroke but most of the rest of the world has gone to 4 cycle. You won't get much speed with a 115 or even a 150 but you'll burn considerable more gas. My current boat is an 18.5' Tracker All Fish w/ 90hp 2 stroke Mercury but about once a summer we'll rent a pontoon at Patoka Lake and they are fun on a nice lake.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Check out "Boat Angel".

I recently saw a nice well-equipped higher end five year old 22 foot pontoon boat (no motor) in NC sell for $1,800 bucks on ebay sold by Boat Angel. (They sell donated boats).

If you're on a budget it is a great way to find a deal on a boat. If you don't like working on/cleaning used things maybe not your cup of tea.

Conditions of the boats/cars/whatever ranges from needs a wash to needs upholstery or haven't been started in a year.
Generally these boats are sold because of a death in the family, folks who need a write-off, etc and sometimes have been sitting for awhile. Sometimes it's because an engine fails and people decide they want a new boat. What's interesting about the donations is that sometimes you see very expensive and well-equipped boats in the listings.

I've bought two boats like this over the years and got great deals. You can search using "nearby" to see what's in your area.
Let's see if this link works-

Boat Angel

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure to buy one with plenty of power for it's size. Ones that are underpowered are run wide open and the motors lead a short life. Check all of the pontoons and welds for any cracking or visible electrolysis. Have the motor compression checked and checked. Check the floor and make sure there is no rot in it, if it's wood. It would most likely pay to have a surveyor survey it if you're not that boating savvy and it's an expensive one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
As someone said, it's going to be all about the engine. Make sure it's solid.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
If you will tow it be sure it's a high quality trailer.

Imagine, meeting you over here! Big Grin

The quote I picked out should be read and understood by everyone buying a new or used rig. It should be considered as the 11th commandment. If you were writing a bill of rights, guns would be the first and buying a quality trailer the 2nd. No reason for the 1st, there are already enough liars to cover freedom of speech.

When you go to get the boat, make sure you've got enough tow vehicle.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the responses so far.

We plan on taking out two or three weekends a month. Thankfully, the boating season is rather long in Texas. I will be trailering it and keeping it at my home when not on the water. The trailer is Road Runner. The tow vehicle will be an Supercrew F150 with Max tow package, and 3.5 Ecoboost Twin Turbo engine. There should be no problem regarding the tow vehicle, which is rated for a 9600 pound trailer.

From the pictures, it looks like it's in great shape. The dealer has told me that I will love it when I see it in person, as it is in terrific shape according to him. The motor is a 150 hp Yamaha two-stroke oil-injected, with 295 hours. From what I've read, this appears to be very low hour usage for the age of the boat. It was built in November 2009, and did not see water until the spring of 2010. The interior looks immaculate. Judging from the pictures, because that's all I have to go by right now, it looks like it was very well cared for. I'm scheduled to test drive it next Friday.

Keep your suggestions coming!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking about a pontoon boat. Do you have a link to the one you are looking at?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Nope. Taken down because I've paid a deposit to reserve it. (Wouldn't want anyone to buy it before me! Wink)

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the pictures, it looks like it's in great shape....

Post your pictures so we can see it!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
From the pictures, it looks like it's in great shape....

Post your pictures so we can see it!

The dealer took the website listing down, and I didn't save the pictures while it was up. Sorry about that.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've spent an inordinate amount of time the last 50+ years on the water, in every sort of lake-sized boat. The development of the tri-toon is one of the biggest game-changers since the invention of water.

If the lake you'll be on has any sort of chop to it on weekends or when you'll be using it I'd seriously consider a tri for the improved ride height and smoothness if you can possibly swing it. They also seem to be much more efficient and handle more like an actual boat than I would ever have expected. Our next boat will be one, and we'll be out of the runabout business!

eta - see you've put down a deposit. You can still take a test drive, in the sort of conditions you will be operating.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hurry up boating season !

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post