SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal minds question about transporting firearms across state lines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal minds question about transporting firearms across state lines Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
As the header says it is about transporting firearmsacross state lines.
If a husband and wife seperate and, she takes all his guns and leaves the state is there anything that can be done and, if so what?

She has taken them from N C to Ohio if that matters.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Isn't that called "stealing?"

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Was there a separation agreement or divorce decree showing the division of assets?

If not, that is still jointly owned property.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31434 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
As the header says it is about transporting firearmsacross state lines.
If a husband and wife seperate and, she takes all his guns and leaves the state is there anything that can be done and, if so what?

She has taken them from N C to Ohio if that matters.

It depends on the marital property laws of the state that has jurisdiction over their marriage. This is not a firearms question, but a marital property law question. I don't know the answer in either of those two jurisdictions.

I presume they are still married and not yet divorced. If they are already divorced, one should be the clear owner of the property.

Sig2340, one could have separate ownership of the property even if they are married. Again, that depends on the marital property law of the state involved.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In a state which registers guns, and requires all transfers go through FFL with various delays, like Whackyland, a firearm is registered, transferred, in the name of the buyer.

If you “give” a gun to a spouse, are you required to do the transfer? Even in a presumptively community property state like Whackyland?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with JAllen. Who's name were they originally purchased under? If it is not the wife's name, it would be stealing until the ex-hubby transfers them to her name. If the divorce decree does not stipulate that they belong to the woman, I would contact the police in her new location.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In a state which registers guns, and requires all transfers go through FFL with various delays, like Whackyland, a firearm is registered, transferred, in the name of the buyer.

If you “give” a gun to a spouse, are you required to do the transfer? Even in a presumptively community property state like Whackyland?

Yes when we gift a gun to a family member it is suposed to be done thru a buyer permit or your CCP (which serves as buyers permit in my state).

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would report them stolen to the police and report her to the ATF for illegally possessing firearms. If these are pistols then to take ownership of them in NC she would need a concea carry license or pistol purchase permit.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
If an attorney was used for a divorce, talk with that attorney. It’s not going to make it better by involving too many government entities in your personal affairs. Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why is it that, despite my warning that marital property law controls and that it can vary widely from state to state, people are still willing to pronounce that it would be a stolen gun?

In Texas, if the divorce isn't final (which seems to be what the poster suggested), it would not be theft that any DA would charge. The family court may order its return pending the outcome of the divorce, but that is a far different thing.

I shouldn't complain. Misapprehensions about the law are a fertile source of business for me. I always know I'm in for a rough time when a client starts in; "In my friend's divorce . . . " or "I read on the internet . . .."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Why is it that, despite my warning that marital property law controls and that it can vary widely from state to state, people are still willing to pronounce that it would be a stolen gun?

In Texas, if the divorce isn't final (which seems to be what the poster suggested), it would not be theft that any DA would charge. The family court may order its return pending the outcome of the divorce, but that is a far different thing.

I shouldn't complain. Misapprehensions about the law are a fertile source of business for me. I always know I'm in for a rough time when a client starts in; "In my friend's divorce . . . " or "I read on the internet . . .."

Even if not stolen in the state of North Carolina it’s still illegally possessed unless he transferred the gun to her legally via a carry license or purchase permit.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Even if not stolen in the state of North Carolina it’s still illegally possessed unless he transferred the gun to her legally via a carry license or purchase permit.

Not to be obtuse, but in practice that's not correct.

No officer is taking a report for that. They will tell you to seek a family law attorney. Even if one complains loudly enough to a ninny supervisor, the supervisor is going to tell the officer to only do a non-criminal report to document the situation. Ain't nobody swearing out any warrants or entering any serial numbers into NCIC over a wife taking guns in NC. Sheriff be damned, it's community property in NC unless she's otherwise banned from possessing one.

Same thing if the wife takes a car registered to the husband, TV, or toaster. Hell, same thing if the wife jacks up the mobile home and moves it to Florida. "Contact a family law attorney".

Another note, I have never seen the purchase without a permit law enforced, and I've done a lot of gun violation investigations.

Only thing that would be different is if they had a formalized agreement separating property before the wife up and run oft.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post