SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visit to the NOAA hurricane hunters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visit to the NOAA hurricane hunters Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
Today, the Scout Troop my son belongs to, and I am a leader in, visited the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Aircraft Operations Center (AOC) in Lakeland, FL. This is where all NOAA hurricane hunter flights originate (the Air Force has its own flights). We had a briefing and tour of the hangar, WP-3D Orion, and Twin Otter aircraft. The former are the ones flown directly into the hurricane, while the Twin Otters are used primarily for spotting wildlife.

An interesting bit of trivia - NOAA has 2 Orion aircraft, named Miss Piggy and Kermit, after the Muppets characters. Initially, NOAA sought permission from the corporate owners of the copyright on the characters and were denied. When Jim Henson heard about it, and what the aircraft were to do, he personally intervened to allow NOAA to use the names. Colloquially, they are simply referred to as "frog" and "pig."

My pictures did not turn out too well, but here is the official link to the facility we toured: NOAA Hurricane Hunters

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Neat! Thank you for sharing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what scouts are all about. Having fun and learning.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Here is a question for you guys.

If given the chance... would you ride along with them into an actual hurricane?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Their track record is really good. Over thousands of missions, I believe only one loss. That is with the Air Force planes.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I understand that it’s not nearly as dangerous as one would imagine. I probably would.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's awesome DrDan! I'll bet Peter had a blast. Can I be a temporary scout chaperone when you guys do the Mosaic phosphate mine?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I asked how bumpy the ride is through a hurricane. The response was that they use doppler radar to detect the worst turbulence, and generally avoid it. It can still be a rough ride, but not nearly as bad as one might suspect. So, to answer your question, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That's awesome DrDan! I'll bet Peter had a blast. Can I be a temporary scout chaperone when you guys do the Mosaic phosphate mine?

He sat in the pilot seat of the P-3, totally ready to take off into a hurricane.

A trip to Mosaic - not a bad idea. I'll pass it along to the person that schedules those sorts of things, and if we go, I'll register you as my guest.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It would be awesome. Draglines, haul trucks, D-11s, GE Evolution Locos, conveyor belt loading...

I'd have a equipgasm!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have any kind of app that tracks commercial fights, like Flightaware, you can track that one, NOAA42 is its call sign(?).

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post