SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Boy Carpenter Bees Battle For The Prize
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Boy Carpenter Bees Battle For The Prize Login/Join 
posted
We were sitting on the deck, one summer, going crazy with buzzing, hovering carpenter bees. They didn't attack us, but seemed to be fighting. I had to find out why they do this ridiculous behavior. Well, from what I read on the inter-webs, it is a couple males batttling for the ultimate prize... a female. The female does all the work boring a hole in a railing, fence post or other home amenity you'd rather they not... Yep, the lady does the home building while the two idiot males bang heads, outside, 'till one gives up. I guess the "little brain" goes full function even in the insect world!

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the boys are the smart ones. They are just messing around wasting time while the girl does all the work. The winner probably goes over to help the other guy out with a fake fight when he finds a girl to build his house.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this today when I was in my backyard shooting.
They got more pissed after feeling concussive effects from a pistol going off. I swear they were no more than a foot from where I was shooting flying at each other.
Time for the bee spray to come back out.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one of the oversize wiffle ball bats is great fun with these damned things. We get them in our pole barns something fierce.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time for the bee spray to come back out.

Brake cleaner works well.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I took great pleasure in blasting these flying drill bits out of the sky with .22 ratshot. Would walk around the house listening for the humming and tap on the hole till they came out and then BLAM!

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Caulk gun, roofing caulk. Either seals 'em up or locks 'em out.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Caulk gun, roofing caulk. Either seals 'em up or locks 'em out.

Better use a puffer to install insecticide first or all you'll do is cause them to make more holes.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Just hung the traps and put the badmitton racket back on the porch last week.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
That's better than paper wasps building a nest in your bathroom fan vent. You only have to have one do laps around your head while you are reading Sig Forum on your phone while on the throne once before you do something about it!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Badminton rackets are loads of fun with these bastards. Then hit the holes with a shot of expanding foam, wait until dry, then shave flush with a razor blade.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15560 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weedwacker will take them right out of the sky.

I do use caulk to fill holes, whether they are in the hole or not.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They are quite a challenge in midair with an airsoft pistol.
Wear eyepro, these plastic pellets.bounce back off logs with lots of retained K.E.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for their comments and experiences.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son-of-bitches know I hate them & will try to fight me as I miss them with the Wasp Spray. They will hover & dare me to try to hit them. Little fuckers, I hate them & they hate me!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post