SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
Fiance said she doesn't care where we go just that she wants me to decide and take care of booking it.

Last year we had talked about going to Scotland but due to COVID restrictions that is out.

So we are looking to keep it in the states, preferably one without any or minimal restrictions. We talked about the Florida Keys or other Florida locations. We've stayed in Key Largo, Islamorada and Key West before. We're thinking maybe somewhere a little quieter than Key West but close enough to restaurants, nightlife, etc. if such a place exists?

I even started looking at all inclusive resorts in the Bahamas but I haven't found much info with regards to COVID restrictions.

Any insight into Florida, the Keys or other similar areas that we can have a good time would be appreciated.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Early October? Somewhere in New England.

ETA: Oops. Just noticed you're already in PA, so it might not have the allure.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
We talked about the Florida Keys or other Florida locations. We've stayed in Key Largo, Islamorada and Key West before. We're thinking maybe somewhere a little quieter than Key West but close enough to restaurants, nightlife, etc. if such a place exists?

Marathon is decently sized and centrally located in the Florida Keys. Cheaper than Key West, and able to do just about anything in the Keys with an hour so drive at most. Not sure about the nightlife specifically in Marathon, but Key West's nightlife is only an hour's drive away.

Get an Airbnb/VRBO/etc., rather than trying to stay in a hotel. You can get a much nicer house for the same price as the overpriced hotels/motels in the Keys.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
How about an all inclusive stay at a resort in Mexico. Another option might be Tahiti. I have a friend that he and his wife went there for their honeymoon and said it was the best vacation they ever had.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Early october is still hurricane season, so, maybe out west somewhere?

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If your budget can handle it, I have never been any place like Kamalame Cay, just off the east coast of Andros (the biggest island in The Bahamas).

It is out of my budget range, but one of the companies that I flew for, had me take one of their clients there and they paid for me to stay.

Absolutely fantastic! If you're interested, I can give you details.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Early October? Somewhere in New England.

ETA: Oops. Just noticed you're already in PA, so it might not have the allure.
Yea, was hoping to get out of the northeast.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Marathon is decently sized and centrally located in the Florida Keys. Cheaper than Key West, and able to do just about anything in the Keys with an hour so drive at most. Not sure about the nightlife specifically in Marathon, but Key West's nightlife is only an hour's drive away.

Get an Airbnb/VRBO/etc., rather than trying to stay in a hotel. You can get a much nicer house for the same price as the overpriced hotels/motels in the Keys.
Not a bad idea.

Tahiti seems awesome, staying in a bungalow over the water. I will need to look into that Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
Early october is still hurricane season, so, maybe out west somewhere?
We will be in Vegas for 8 days in July, really didn't want to go back out that way so soon.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STaniel Cay Yacht club. You can use their airplane service Makers Air to go from Fort Lauderdale executive airport (a 25 minute cab ride from FLL) and lands on Staniel Cay. Can rent a beautiful villa with meals and small boat, paddle boards, kayaks etc. included, or just rent the villa alone. The area is absolutely beautiful. I am over there often and it is breath taking and many nature based activities like snorkeling thunderball grotto, feeding the swimming pigs, etc. etc. I've been to many many islands in the Bahamas and Carribbean and this area is absolutely breath taking.

https://www.stanielcay.com/
Makers air has good aerial footage on their website of the area:
https://makersair.com/

Here are drone footage of all of the trips I've done in that area on this youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/result...ery=the+real+bahamas

Right now you need a PCR covid test within 5 days before going and to fill out the Bahamas visa online once you have the results......then a 5 day rapid test (which Staniel Cay does) on day 5 of being there.....it's easy. But here are the Bahamas requirements:
https://www.bahamas.com/tourism-reopening

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If your budget can handle it, I have never been any place like Kamalame Cay, just off the east coast of Andros (the biggest island in The Bahamas).

It is out of my budget range, but one of the companies that I flew for, had me take one of their clients there and they paid for me to stay.

Absolutely fantastic! If you're interested, I can give you details.
That looks awesome. They seem to be sold out for all of October and a week into Nov. That and the prices may be a bit more than we want to spend once you add in airfare and food, etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Fiance said she doesn't care where we go just that she wants me to decide and take care of booking it.

Newbie! She says she doesn't care, but I'd imagine she has some opinions. How about Elko, Nevada?

In all seriousness, try something out west. Golfing, hiking, 4x4 in Arizona? The Grand Canyon?

I bunch of my friends are having great luck getting smokin' deals into Hawaii. Just need a Covid test before boarding. Once over there, the place is kinda deserted.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No suggestions, but CONGRATULATIONS!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

Newbie! She says she doesn't care, but I'd imagine she has some opinions. How about Elko, Nevada?

In all seriousness, try something out west. Golfing, hiking, 4x4 in Arizona? The Grand Canyon?

I bunch of my friends are having great luck getting smokin' deals into Hawaii. Just need a Covid test before boarding. Once over there, the place is kinda deserted.
Not a newb, this is actually my second rodeo but this one is total opposite. Wink Doesn't care where we go as long as it's a not in our normal stomping grounds. The reason I initially focused on the Keys is because the last time we were there it was like time stopped. 7 days in the Keys felt like a month and it was the most relaxed I've ever been. So I was trying to find other places similar in style without the lockdown.

We're going to be in Vegas for 8 days in July, two days my buddy and I will bowl in the Open and the rest of the time we are doing the sightseeing thing. Grand Canyon, the H Dam, etc. So I really don't want to head back out west only a couple months later.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
No suggestions, but CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks Smile

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I took my wife to Oktoberfest in Germany, it would be the right time but I have no idea what restrictions look like now.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have no idea of the current level of restrictions, but the wife and I had a great time in Cozumel some years back. Much better than Cancun, a place I went with my first wife, more costly and way less fun.

Also in Fla., but not mentioned yet, as another more laid-back-than-Key Wast place, Sanibel Island.

Oh, and yes, Congratulations!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Try Hawaii. It should be pretty much wide open by October.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vegas, Baby! Then side trips to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Vegas, Baby! Then side trips to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc.

He mentioned that they are going to Vegas in July so that is out.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Congrats! I took my wife to Oktoberfest in Germany, it would be the right time but I have no idea what restrictions look like now.
That was my first thought but we would be traveling there on the last day Frown

Then I came up with Scotland for the distillery tours Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Congrats... Maui is always nice.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post