SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting married early October, where to go for honeymoon Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Monaco, Monte Carlo, Capri

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
I’ve never been, but my eye is on the American Virgin Islands. Airfare is cheap and I hear traveling there during COVID is easy because it is a US Territory.

USVI is a pit IMO.

Fly into USVI, take the Ferry to BVI and relax. The people of the BVI are much friendlier than the USVI IMO. USVI is a TWSH, as OUR President would say. Example. You take the Ferry from BVI to USVI so you can fly a bit cheaper, you have to overnight in the hotel not far from the ferry dock and the damn hotel has 10 foot chain link fences surrounding it. Whenever I can fly straight in and out of Tortola, BVI at a reasonable rate, I do.

I had my Honeymoon at Secret Harbor in the USVI in 1977 and it was a TWSH then and it hasn't improved. Speaking of St Thomas specifically. Other USVI Islands - can't say. But, I've never felt like CCW was necessary anywhere in the BVI. Can't say that about St. Thomas.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Jade Mountain on St. Lucia.

It's a wee bit on the spendy side but worth every penny from what I understand.

Jade Mountain is awesome.

Those views and open air rooms.

Like that dude in the Wire, Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
So after much discussion, Mexico is definitely out (I was looking at Cabos up until that point).

She says she doesn't care where we go (aside from Mexico) and the budget has been set to "just try to keep it around $8k for everything". She likes the idea of all-inclusive so we don't need to worry about anything concerning food and alcohol.

Sandals is including travel insurance right now. If we go that way it will either be one of their Bahamas resorts or St Lucia.

Have been looking at Dreams and Secrets resorts too. Prices seem comparable, although Sandals seems a little bit more $$. From what I've found online it seems the Sandals resorts are esthetically "warmer" and a bit more of a Caribbean feel, at least from pictures.

Was looking at the Dominican Republic. But I had 10 years of my ex-MIL, who is from DR, always telling me that she loves the scenery there but will never go back.

Still looking at the Hawaii suggestions, however she seemed only lukewarm on going to Hawaii.
I was looking at this wesbite.

We did agree that if we decided to do Florida it will be in the Keys. A couple days in Key West and then a few days in a more relaxing area (Islamorada, etc.).

This is a bit harder than I expected.

One thing for sure is that Jade Mountain and Bora Bora are now bucket list destinations.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Punta Cana in the DR is nice. I've been twice, but the DR on the whole is just average.

Santo Domingo has some interesting bits. But I wouldn't call it a honeymoon destination.

My friend and his wife loved Sandals on Grand Cayman.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Congratulations first.

I'd recommend BVI. October is a low rate time of the year normally.
There are a number of places in BVI that would be nice for a vacation but for very relaxed atmosphere try Cooper Island. It's directly across from Tortola so easy to get to. Kind of a hidden gem that many don't seem to know about.
I've always gone there as a bare-boat charterer so haven't stayed in the hotel itself, just out in the harbor.
This is the hotel there for a look at the surroundings.

https://cooperislandbeachclub.com/

Definitely stay away from USVI except to go through the airport on your way. Lots of crime and general low lifes and caters to the low end of the tourist and cruise ship trade.
To go there we normally flew to San Juan and took a smaller plane to Tortola or flew into St. Thomas and took a ferry over to the harbor on the south end of Tortola BVI.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Costa Rica in July for my honeymoon. I'll let you know how it is but you'll probably be booked by then.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Got in touch with a travel agent that is good friend's with a family member.

After looking at an endless amount of destinations we decided that we want to go to St Lucia and we're going to stay at Sandals Regency La Toc. So the resort is booked.

The airfare, the agent told us to wait a bit and prices should come down as they are a bit high right now. So, I'm tracking airfare now. I can't believe the prices of airfare to get there and back. $3k for round trip for two of us? That just seems insane.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You will love LaToc, we were just there in late November/ early December. The service, food, drinks, entertainment were all great. The resort had just reopened and it seemed like the resort manager was everywhere. We had the couples message on the beach. Our favorite restaurants on resort were the sushi bar, Italian restaurant and the French restaurant, and I don’t even like French food.

The airfare may be pricey due to time of year (is it high season?) and the fact it is a longish flight from Miami. Sometimes you can get a better price going through Sandals, sometimes it’s lower going through the airlines.

Anyway, congrats, and have a great honeymoon!

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile

We opted for the Honeymoon Lux Club level room with a partial ocean view instead of the Emerald standard level room with oceanfront.

Everything I've read so far says it's worth it to go Club level for a couple hundred more.
Plus we figure that way we can get liquor in the room for the nights we don't want to go out.

Also want to thank every in the thread for their suggestions and info, it's much appreciated Smile