SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Flu Shot: Got yours? How about after effects?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Flu Shot: Got yours? How about after effects? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Haven't had one in years and I have no plans to get one in the future!

Agree

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I got mine in the opposite shoulder from where I got my second Shingrix shot. Both at the same time. My Shingrix shoulder was a little sore for a couple days but I had no other side effects from either shot. I get a flu shot every year and have since Moby Dick was a minnow. Haven't had the flu in years and years and years.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a flu shot every year, along with every other vaccination that's available (due to constant travel).

In the past, the flu shot has given me flu symptoms for a day or two, on occasion. This year, no real symptoms, but my shoulder has had a lot of problems since. It would be a stretch to blame the shot, as it could be a lot of things (and probably is something else, given that my shoulder is grinding and popping a lot lately). The timing would give the impression, though.

Got the 2020 flu shot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Got my 2020 flu shot last week. No apparent side effects including soreness. One observation of difference, though, was this year it felt like the pharmacist left the needle in noticeably much longer. My peeps also observed the same.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Got one 2 weeks ago, no observed side effects at all. This is only the second year in the last 30 that I have taken one, and only because of dealing with elderly parents that have some health issues.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I got mine this year and some minor side effects which included body and joint aching.

I need to get the flu shot yearly because I take immune suppression for Psoriatic Arthritis. Sometimes the adjuvants in the flu shot set off my PA and I get flares after getting the shot. This year was just some aches and pains, but in the past I was in complete agony from the inflammatory side effects.

Just my personal autoimmune experience,

Mike (Immunologist/Molecular Biologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Got my last Monday (10/19/2020) and I still feel like crap. First time I've ever had a reaction to a flu shot.

In fact the wife made me go get tested for the Chinese Flu, just in case. Tested on Friday (10/23), got the Negative test back on Monday (10/26).

Nothing real bad, 2 days of aches, 3 days of feeling so so, and the last 2 days of a dry cough.

Thought I was doing the right thing.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I got mine at Publix Friday, and bought dinner with the $10 gift card! Felt a little achy the next day but that was it.

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I got mine a month ago. As usual, no side effects for me other than slight soreness at the injection site for a day.

This is my experience as well. I've never had a negative reaction in the 15+ years I've gotten the shot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Got mine about 6 weeks ago. Shoulder sore for about 3 weeks. Never had that happen before.

Now my second shingles shot was a different matter. Chills, shivering and constant hot flash started about 12 hours afterward. Lasted several hours then constant muscle aches, nausea and lethargy for another 36 hours...

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Got the shot a couple weeks ago. This was the high dose and my shoulder hurt a bit for the rest of the day; didn’t notice it the next. My wife had the regular dose of FluVac and Shingrex #1. She reacted to one of the two and felt pretty puny for a couple days.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I get one every year, I think I may skip it this year with the covid-19 stuff and rumors there's some kind of interaction and what not. Also with all the extreme measures going on, I imagine it will be a very low flu season with the social distancing, being questioned every time I walk in a building, and heightened awareness of getting co-workers sick.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I got a “Senior” flu shot 3 weeks ago:

FLUZONE HD QUAD 2020-21 PFS

I think that the Senior version is higher dose than the regular. Negligible arm soreness, no other adverse effects. Free with my UHC Plan N insurance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I got mine for the 1st time last year. Was pretty sick for three days after. Muscle aches, chills, and nausea.

Got mine for this year yesterday.
Left arm and left upper chest have been really sore. Have quite the headache tonight but a storm front is moving in from whatever hurricane remnant is headed this way.

Also I have never once had the flu.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I asked for the high dose version this year because I have a poor immune response, the doctor approved, I signed a paper saying I'd pay for it if insurance didn't, and I've been fine since. But I made sure I went to bed on time, didnt' get dehyraded etc. So far so good. My immune system is not very good so I like to keep an eye on things that could take me over the waterfall. I learned about this high dose version on the internet, before that never heard about it.

I used to get very sick from regular annual flu shots when I was young, but I think that was due to the fact that I burned the candle at both ends in my eary career building years, and looking back my stress levels were off the charts (irregular, fluttering, and stopped heartbeats, weird symptoms etc). I attribute that lifestyle to my lack of ability to handle a dead virus immunization. After that I avoided all flu shots for about 20 years or so, then restarted them back up without problems, again, eating right, going to bed on time, doing physical activity or work etc., to minimize the effects of my chronic diseases.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Get mine every year, went last week. Same as always, zero reaction.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual every year I got the high dose a couple of weeks ago and promptly forgot about it except when I thought to squeeze my arm and then there was slight discomfort.

I generally have very minor reactions to immunizations, and I sometimes wonder if that’s because I’ve had to get many shots for international travel since early childhood. Once much later I got two in one arm and three in the other all at the same time with nothing more than a bit of soreness. Plus I learned long ago to vigorously exercise my arm and massage the area immediately after the injection.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mine a few weeks ago. I get one every year and usually have a sore shoulder for a few days and mild symptoms for a day or two.

No soreness nor symptoms this year.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I had mine about two weeks ago. Felt a bit uncomfortable (achy) in the morning and by afternoon I felt fine.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about getting mine. I usually get it annually. However, I thought I read somewhere that the flu shot may lead to an aggravated case of wuflu should one catch it.

Has that been dispositioned yet? Not that it makes one more likely to catch it. But that if one does catch it, the symptoms may be worse than if you didn't get the flu shot.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post