SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Preferred USB-C Cords?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred USB-C Cords? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Since I've upgraded (forced by a dead charging port on the Note5) to my Galaxy S9+, all of my old charging cords are now obsolete (for this phone).

Need to order a couple spares.

For my car, a 2' cord would be ideal, to not leave a ton of slack.
Could move the OE cord to my wife's car
And want to get a 5-6' for nightstand duty.

Any preferred brands for these?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Anker braided cables are all I buy now. I get them through Amazon.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I made the same change and have had good luck with these, allowing me to keep using my old cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter...a-475335374558&psc=1

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I made the same change and have had good luck with these, allowing me to keep using my old cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter...a-475335374558&psc=1

The downside of that type of adapter is that they typically do not support USB-PD (Power Delivery).

USB-PD is a fairly new standard that allows much higher power transfer than previously possible over USB, and many current-generation USB-C phones support using USB-PD to charge at two or three times the rate of previous devices.

Of course, you need both a USB-PD compliant charger and a USB-PD compliant cable.

To my knowledge, the USB-PD standard doesn't actually require that all the bits be USB-C, but everything I've seen in the real world that uses it is.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, we use a lot of Amazon Basics & Anker stuff for the iOS devices at work.
We haven't had need to buy any android peripherals in a couple years since we've made a few field software changes & dropped all of our Android tablets.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had genuine Samsung USB-C cords at Wal Mart for $9.97, so I bought 2. Still amazed at how fast a 3000mhz battery charges when running a stock turbo charger and the right cord.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
They had genuine Samsung USB-C cords at Wal Mart for $9.97, so I bought 2. Still amazed at how fast a 3000mhz battery charges when running a stock turbo charger and the right cord.

mAh (milliamp-hours) not mhz (megahertz). Smile

The USB-PD chargers are great (used with devices that are USB-PD compliant).

Old-style USB chargers generally put out 10 watts or so. Certain non-standard charging systems like Qualcomm Quick Charge could increase that - recent QC versions put out up to 18W.

The USB-PD standard supports power supplies that can put out up to 100W. Many USB-PD phones will take 25-30W from a USB-PD charger that can put out that much juice.

The other plus is that my MacBook Pro (85W), Nintendo Switch (40W), and Google Pixel 2 XL (18W) can all use the same power adapter, given it can supply the necessary juice.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Anker braided cables are all I buy now.

This. Anker chargers, battery packs, and cords for all devices.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I too bought the braided USB-C cords from Amazon and they work great and are pretty reasonably priced.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Anker braided cables are all I buy now.

This. Anker chargers, battery packs, and cords for all devices.

I have to agree. Anker seems to be top of the line currently.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post