SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battry Powered Leaf Vacuum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battry Powered Leaf Vacuum Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
looking for some experiences with a battery (or line cord powered) leaf vacuum

I have been hunting around here and don't really see what I think I want

saw one by Toro but no one seems to know anything about them here

thanks

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A customer has one at a house I manage. I've used it a few times to blow off leaves and stuff of of 4-5,000 sq feet of pavers. It does a pretty good job, almost as powerful as my hitachi gas blower. It's a Greenworks and either 40 or 60 volts and has a turbo button where it blows twice as hard, while the button is pressed. I never paid attention to what brand it is and the battery has never gone dead while I used it. I could find out the brand next time I stop at the house.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I used this for probably 7 years and it worked well. Only negative I could say was the hassle of the cord itself.

Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac, Red (Corded) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S...cp_api_qrc3AbQC6HFHN

I gave it to a friend when I bought into the Greenworks 40v system and I couldn’t be happier. I love the 4 tools I have, including the leaf blower/vac.

Greenworks 40V 185 MPH Variable Speed Cordless Blower Vacuum, 4.0 AH Battery Included 24322 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D...cp_api_vuc3AbW9NP6SA

I don’t remember it costing that much though. I’ve got thT blower/vac, a 16” deck mower (compact mower, fits my needs beautifully), the 12” chainsaw, and the 14” attachment capable weed eater. I added a Ryobi brand edger attachment and it works great too. The chainsaw doesn’t cut as fast as others due to less teeth per a given chain size but it’s fine for my very limited use here in the city without a ton of yard.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thump

thanks for the link

I have a blower that looks very similar to that and everything I've run across seems to be a dual use

did you have to mechanically modify it to convert it from a blower to the vac?

I have about 20 mesquite trees in my yard and am looking for something to pick up their really small leaves that coat the yard.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a dewalt one that I bought because it uses the same battery as my other dewalt tools. It's nice and easy for the limited amount of use it gets from me (blowing grass and leaves off of sidewalks/driveways). If I had a lot of property or needed something with more power I would get a gas blower.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DE...OKztoCFYWxswodGFgLsA

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If you're blowing light debris off hard surfaces, electric is fine.

If you want to blow leaves out from under bushes or over a lawn, you will appreciate the utility of a gas-powered blower. The electrics fail in these scenarios.

Note that the manufacturers love to quote the MPH of the driven air. This is a useless statistic. It is the volume of air that matters to get work done.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking for a blower

I need a vacuum to suck up mesquite leave that get around my rocks, fencing, outdoor furniture, pool decking....i need to suck the stuff up so I can throw it out in the trash

blower are great but all that does is relocate the mess to another location

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thump

is the Greenworks a good vac? or a great blower and a moderately OK vac?

posted Hide Post
The Greenworks 40v is a great blower, never tried it as a vac. Lowe's and HD have a pretty easy return policy, you could always buy it and try it and return it if not. They have a new 60V version at Lowe's I noticed as well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I can head to Lowes today and check it out

thanks

didn't know it was a Lowes brand

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have the TORO corded blower/vacuum...I have used it both as a blower for 5-6 years and for sucking up crape myrtle/red bud/holly bush leaves it works pretty good. They make two models, one with a plastic impeller and one with a metal impeller...the metal impeller is best for sucking and shredding leaves...

My first one with the plastic impeller lasted for 8-9 years until the blades on the impeller just busted up...the cord is a hassle (as with all corded tools)...the bag can also be annoying to empty (as with any zipper bag)...but overall it does it's intended job. It's a pretty powerful blower too...

Just keep in mind these are not commercial grade tools...but work for their "home owner" type jobs like sucking up leaves in areas where getting to them would be difficult any other way...

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51...Corded/dp/B00SBPFREU

Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have them cheaper on sale...just check and make sure it's the metal impeller. EDIT...I think all the red body units have the metal impellers and the black ones are plastic.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
thump

thanks for the link

I have a blower that looks very similar to that and everything I've run across seems to be a dual use

did you have to mechanically modify it to convert it from a blower to the vac?

I have about 20 mesquite trees in my yard and am looking for something to pick up their really small leaves that coat the yard.

Yes, in both cases you have to move a few parts around. Essentially remove the blow nozzle and attach the bag and then attach the vac tube. In either case it is easy and quick with both units though the Greenworks is a smidge easier.

Not sure I’d consider this option for 20 trees though... that’s a lot!

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
thump

is the Greenworks a good vac? or a great blower and a moderately OK vac?

It’s great in both regards for my needs... but I’m concerned about the amount of leaves you’ll be doing. 20 trees sounds like a lot to me and you’d likely need a bunch of batteries to get through the job, unless those trees are tiny.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the trees are big, but the leaves are really small - line about 1/8" wide and 3/4" long

but there are millions of them...and they're too small to be handled effectively by a rake

I've been using a shop vac for most but its hugely inconvenient as its not designed to be a 'walk behind' device

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I have the TORO corded blower/vacuum...I have used it both as a blower for 5-6 years and for sucking up crape myrtle/red bud/holly bush leaves it works pretty good. They make two models, one with a plastic impeller and one with a metal impeller...the metal impeller is best for sucking and shredding leaves...

My first one with the plastic impeller lasted for 8-9 years until the blades on the impeller just busted up...the cord is a hassle (as with all corded tools)...the bag can also be annoying to empty (as with any zipper bag)...but overall it does it's intended job. It's a pretty powerful blower too...

Just keep in mind these are not commercial grade tools...but work for their "home owner" type jobs like sucking up leaves in areas where getting to them would be difficult any other way...

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51...Corded/dp/B00SBPFREU

Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have them cheaper on sale...just check and make sure it's the metal impeller. EDIT...I think all the red body units have the metal impellers and the black ones are plastic.

This is what I bought, the Red unit with metal impeller, it will chop up the massive amount of Live Oak leaves we get along with the pollen and seeds which are smaller.

The metal blade cuts it up nice and fine, the bags not too bad to dump it helps to have someone to assist holding open a large plastic lawn bag like a 55 gal bag. It will reduce large areas of leaves to a single bag.

It is corded and I've not looked for a battery replacement, just get a 100 ft extension cord.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
the trees are big, but the leaves are really small - line about 1/8" wide and 3/4" long

but there are millions of them...and they're too small to be handled effectively by a rake

I've been using a shop vac for most but its hugely inconvenient as its not designed to be a 'walk behind' device

My shop vac has a stronger apparent sucking force but that’s probably due to smaller diameter hose. Both blower vacs were more than powerful enough to pick up all manner of dry leaves.

What I find easiest, though, is to blow all the leaves up against my fence so they are in s pile and then suck them up. Blowing is far faster than sucking so by consolidating them into one long pile it saves me time.

I’m just not convinced battery operated is the right choice for you though.

That being said I use the blower darn near every day. It is super handy given its lack of cord to just grab it and blow off the walkway or the garage or whatever. Very handy. I never did that when I had the corded unit. It only got used at leaf time. I use the battery one all the time.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ok thanks Smile

I'm just trying to keep them away from my leaf magnet (swimming pool)

posted Hide Post
I see you are in az,
are you sucking off of grass? or patio or ( god forbid) gravel ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post