SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    That time of year rattlers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That time of year rattlers Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
No snakes in Alaska.

I'll stay up here....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
All the snakes around here hold up in government offices.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We have so many venomous snakes aroumd here that we take our dogs to snake avoidance training. Its a great program and saves a lot of dogs lives. A big eastern diamondback or mocasin bite often proves fatal, especially if it goes undetected for hours

This is what we're dealing with in this neck of the woods.

Taken with Bond Derringer .410

[url=http://s126.photobucket.com/user/HayesGreener/media/DSCN0704.jpg.html]

Taken with O/U 12 ga.
[url=http://s126.photobucket.com/user/HayesGreener/media/IMG_0001.jpg.html]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Both my dogs are vaccinated for the most prevalent rattler. My BC also has done avoidance training. The only time we know it worked was when my wife saw a small rattler in the yard and the dog went the other way.

My little dog didn't do avoidance, she's not prone to be as "nosey' as the BC.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
We have no poisonous snakes in the Yoop. And what few other types of snakes we have are flash frozen.

Why did a picture just flash in my head of a Husky gnawing on a snake popsicle?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My BC also has done avoidance training.

Our border collie is plenty "nosey' and has gotten into skunk, but I haven't seen any rattlers around here.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
St. Patrick is my favorite saint!

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
only had one rattler in the yard last year, had a rat snake in the yard Saturday evening - it was hunting pack rats so I left it alone

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have timber rattlesnakes and copper mouth here in NJ. Both are on the endangered species list. They are typically found in the mountains but I have seen them in the Pine Barrens in S. Jersey where I live.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post