SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    That time of year rattlers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That time of year rattlers Login/Join 
posted
Friend got this one yesterday.
Daughter's lab was bitten Sunday

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elmer,

Posts: 549 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The immunization is spendy, but worth it. Mine gets his regardless of the cost as we've got them around here.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yet to see a rattle-ass here, but we have plenty of copperheads!

Dothan, that's a bit close to home!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Nice message, but those three letters shouldn't be posted in that order.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U mean public service announcement .?
Oh u mean the digital exam test.
Wasn't thinking about that

Posts: 549 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Para has stated that "PSA" should no longer be used in titles.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry was not aware of that.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
2 of my dogs were bit last spring. Finally found the snake and gave him the shovel treatment.

Haven't seen a rattler yet this year.

Posts: 26916 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whataya mean that time of the year? Is this an annual event?

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Whataya mean that time of the year? Is this an annual event?

Yes, snakes in general get active around the same time each year in any given region based on the climate of that region. Around here, the end of March is typically when they get active.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sorry Elmer. I give the blacks & Kings latitude but those wind up on my grill, @550 degrees. Hope your pooch is ok. $$ treatments..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So about dogs getting bit. Isn't it lethal?

Gus, what is an immunization? side affects? a effectiveness?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw my first rattlesnake in the wild two weeks ago, in Northern PA. Yes, they are apparently out and about.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
As TXJIM said, the copperheads & rattlers are out in the Texas Hill Country. My dog got his rettlesnake booster today and on the way back from the vet I saw one cross the road. The shots buy time allowing you to get the dog to a vet for antivenin treatment.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So about dogs getting bit. Isn't it lethal?

Gus, what is an immunization? side affects? a effectiveness?

Check with your vet, they should have them if you're in an area with rattlers. I haven't seen any side effects in my pooch, and my brother (a vet) tells me they are effective in preventing serious issues from bites.

As I said, they can be little expensive (depending on your vet), but they are a whole lot cheaper than having your dog treated after a bite. You don't want to know the cost of antivenin.

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/...ake-vaccine-for-dogs

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have so many venomous snakes aroumd here that we take our dogs to snake avoidance training. Its a great program and saves a lot of dogs lives. A big eastern diamondback or mocasin bite often proves fatal, especially if it goes undetected for hours

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When we first moved here, I cleared out an acre of all vegetation, including creosote bushes and mesquite trees. The rattler's food supply likes to burrow under those things. That is now the dog's compound, and I have seen at most 5 rattlers within their compound in 15 years. One of our dogs actually alerted to the presence of them, by circling and barking. At any rate, remove their food source, and they will not come. I still see dangerous rattlers elsewhere on our property, but not in the dog's area. If they do appear there, they are dispatched, otherwise left alone.

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Nope nope nope. I'll take welt-inducing mosquitoes any day of the week and twice on Sunday over any snake let alone a rattler.

Now a snake or a spider? Just nuke the block and call it a day.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Both of my dogs were bitten on the end of the nose and they recovered. The vet said that generally if a dog was bit on the face he would recover, but a bite to the body was bad news.

Posts: 26916 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have no poisonous snakes in the Yoop. And what few other types of snakes we have are flash frozen.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post