SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on side-by-sides please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on side-by-sides please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Honda Pioneer 700-4. I use it exclusively on my very steep, hilly property in Southern Ohio. Handles the 200 plus, crazy steep hills. quite easily. I have wooded trails that it does well in also. Not a sport machine but can have a good time on it. Love the direct drive versus kbelts...you can truly feather the throttle. I pull a bush hog with it on the fields (also steep). Can convert from a 2 seater with a dump bed to a 4 seater in seconds. Governed top speed is 45mph, which is more speed than I can safely go on my property. Full roll cage in case you get in trouble. I have had it for over a year, and I remain impressed on where I can go.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's 200+ ft hills to clarify my poor wording.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor how owns a Kawasaki and Polaris dealership and we were just talking about this yesterday. In his opinion, Kawasaki is more reliable than Polaris. Kawasaki is also releasing a new SxS that they are pretty excited about. I’ve ridden a Polaris Ranger (not Razor) a fair amount in the mountains of Utah. It is very capable but I’m not a fan of belt drives which everyone I believe but Honda uses. If it were me, and I’m looking softly, I would buy the new Honda Talon. They are now making it as a 4 seater so you have options. I’m a huge fan of a real transmission and Honda’s shaft drive to boot. Moreover, you can buy it configured for either desert or mountain riding. The suspension and frame are slightly different for each application. If you want something a little more work oriented, I’d buy the Honda Pioneer 1000. After the Hondas, I would go Kawasaki. I trust my friends assessment of his own products.

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
We have a Honda Pioneer 700 (4 seat)...love it! It’s great for a little bit of work, as well as fun. We use it to collect firewood, ride trails, etc. it goes plenty fast for me...I believe it’s rated to top out at 35mph. I bought mine used, and went with it to avoid the belt drives of the other brands. I also would love one of the Kubota diesel RTV’s, but they certainly are designed more for work than fun.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thank you for the input thus far. My apologies about the title - I thought it was clear, but clearly did not consider what other ways the words could be interpreted.

It will be used in the mountains, off road, while camping in and around the Rockies, for fun and for assistance or a resource during hunting season. We have three grandsons, and we take one at a time when we go camping, so seating for three is preferred. Needs to be good in mud, snow, and in rocky conditions. I hope that helps!

Thank you again,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of goodness in a SxS...

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ughh, and I was all ready to tell you to go crazy and buy that beautiful Purdey you've always wanted.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello!

Thank you for the input thus far. My apologies about the title - I thought it was clear, but clearly did not consider what other ways the words could be interpreted.

It will be used in the mountains, off road, while camping in and around the Rockies, for fun and for assistance or a resource during hunting season. We have three grandsons, and we take one at a time when we go camping, so seating for three is preferred. Needs to be good in mud, snow, and in rocky conditions. I hope that helps!

Thank you again,

Jim

Here you go: https://powersports.honda.com/talon

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, both Polaris and the RZR are popular.
Honda has just introduced a new dual clutch SxS that eliminates the CVT and its drive belts.
I have roasted a drive belt and its not fun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello!

Thank you again,

Jim

Jim,
The side by side category is quite varied as you probably know, from a little 13.5 HP Mule 610 which'll go 20 mph, to full blown Baja looking buggies with over 100 hp that'll probably go 80 mph or more. A few things to decide on will help you narrow down your choices.

Size: Sounds like a single 3-across seat UTV with a decent size cargo bed will meet your needs. The wider UTV's are around 66" inches or more and comfortably fit three people. In my case width is often a detriment trying to negotiate tight places, between trees, etc so I went with a slightly narrower 62" wide UTV and even it's a bit wide sometimes. We fit three in it just fine but it is referred to as a two person so there are only two seatbelts. When I carry both grandsons (who's feet don't reach the floor) I put the passenger seatbelt across both of them. Otherwise we don't use the seatbelts as we don't race the thing around. If width is not a problem get a full three across UTV. Go sit in different ones, the fast ones often have bucket seats that hold you securely but are not so easy to slide in and out of.

Power/speed: How fast do you anticipate wanting to go? You can think of the one you rented or borrowed for reference.... what model was it and did it have adequate power and speed for your needs? On public roads and more wide open trails you might want, and be able, to run 40 mph or even more. In that case I'd look at ones with a 50+ mph top speed so that when running down the road at 45 the thing isn't wide open and max'd out. In my case most riding is on wooded trails in low range but sometimes we're on on dirt and unlined paved roads where I want to be able to comfortably run 30-40 mph. My Mule Pro MX has a top speed of 45mph so it can do those speeds effortlessly day long if I want and that's about as fast as I need/want to go.

Brand:
They're all pretty good but personally having owned both Japanese and non Japanese UTV's and ATV's I will stay with one of the three Japanese brands.

Drivetrain:
I would suggest one that has hi and low range, 2-wheel open differential mode, 4WD mode, and 4WD with lock rear diff lock mode. Some will even have a front lock mode, others will just utilize a limited slip front which works well. I did NOT like the 4wd/awd system in the Polaris Ranger I had and that was one of the reasons I sold it. As far as belt drive CVT transmissions? They work great in these vehicles and is my preferred transmission. In the three different UTV's I've owned they all utilized this system and I've never replaced a belt. Ever. Heck replacing a belt is probably cheaper and easier than changing the HST fluid in a Kubota. And I know Honda Pioneer doesn't use a belt CVT rather a more "automotive type automatic transmission" but don't think they're any more durable, in fact google "Honda Pioneer Transmission Problems" and you'll see they have probably more than most do. Some Pioneers don't even have a high/low range or open rear differential. The CVT in my Mule is sealed yet cooled by filtered air drawn from high up and is permanently engaged by utilizing a wet clutch which is smooth engaging. It also effectively utilizes engine braking to hold it back going down hill which you want, some CVT's do not have this ability. CVT's are used on most UTV's and snowmobiles for a reason.

Suspension: is important most now have pretty good ones with long travel but compare the suspension travel on the ones you're looking at. The faster you want to go on rough terrain, the more suspension you'll want. I'd also look for power steering, many now utilize EPS (electronic power steering) which is nice.

Range: Don't overlook gas capacity. And one thing nice about not getting an over large engine for your needs is you can generally go farther per gallon. One of the things I really like about my Mule Pro MX is seems to just sip fuel and it holds 9 gallons.

Roofs and windshields, cabs: Personally I prefer to have neither, for one they seem to create a drum effect making it noisier. And it's nice being out in the open air just wearing safety glasses. Having said this I have a half windshield and roof I put on from late Fall to early Spring but I look forward to removing them once the worst of weather is over.

In the Kawasaki line I would at least look at a Pro Series Mules, Pro FX are the wider, 3 person ones. You'd have to check but I *believe" the Pro series all go over 40 mph. Non Pro versions are great work horse machines but have more limited suspension and are slower, in essence more to the work side and less to the fun side. Yamaha has some nice ones too as does Can Am.

Mule Pro MX

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You may look up the Tracker model. USA made and priced some below what the main players are at. They are trying to penetrate the market. These are really not overly complicated machines. Just grossly over priced Red Face

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who makes the fastest one ? Stock.

MDS

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 is our perfect machine. It is right in the middle for size. We didn't want the "three person" width due to the size of our hunting trails that we built many years ago. Power steering is my only real recommendation!!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
Am I the only one that read the thread title and immediately thought, "skip the side-by-side and go with an over/under?"

That's exactly what I thought....

Me too. I was thinking Ruger Red Label. Smile

Jim

me as well.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well, your options are endless. I have a Polaris Razor S4 900 EPS. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I’ll get to that shortly. Make certain, I mean make absolutely certain it is something you really want. The resale value is truly awful. So buying one and then wanting to sell it, you’ll take a bath on it.

I love the Razor. I bought mine in January. No one is buying these things two weeks after Christmas, so the deals are awesome. The Razor has more aftermarket parts than any other SxS out there. It’s the Honda Civic of the SxS world. Going back to January, I probably would have picked up a CanAm Maverick over the Razor. It is a looks cooler and sits a little wider.

Now going back to January, hindsight being 20/20, I would have just taken the $20k and put that down on the Toyota Tacoma I have in the driveway. But I didn’t, so I have a Tacoma and a Razor.

So the Razor is awesome. It’s a blast to drive, Mia has a pretty good time riding in it. It will go places I could never take the Tacoma. Unless I had a purpose built Jeep, there is little that will go where this thing will. It has a foot of ground clearance stock, and is well protected underneath. Because I didn’t buy top if the line I had to do some upgrades, like side view mirrors, extra wife front fenders, better (DOT rated) tires Kenati Terra Masters, full windshield, five point harnesses and pass throughs in the seats, Trailblazer Headlights, etc.

One thing to remember when buying a Razor, if that’s what you choose, is that things like the trunk box, roof, windshield, are all options that drive up the price. I should have chosen the aluminum roof and full windshield. But it already had a half windshield and a plastic roof. Seemed good when I bought it. Just minor things I wish I had done right from the get go.

Now, as I was saying, the Razor is awesome. It’s a blast to drive, takes us places we would never get to, and it is just a ton of fun. But...

It is wide open. There are no windows. So rainy days are out, but that’s not an issue here, as it rains like 45 days a year. However we have dust. And lots of it. So when you’re out on a semi warm day and sweating, you get dusted like a sugar cookie. You can’t really just stop at the store in your way home. You’re covered in dust/mud. There is also no heater or cooler. Heater isn’t that big of a deal, but in the summer, you can’t really enjoy one here. It’s just too damn hot out. Full doors are great here in the winter. Keeps the breeze off the legs. In the summer they are hell. So you may want to look into full doors. Black Hills sounds cold.

Back to the dust. When moving at 60, there isn’t a ton. But when doing 30 or so, the negative pressure (because of the full windshield, causes a backdraft of dust that is quite annoying. I will be cutting some holes in the windshield to add closeable vents.

Another thing to consider is a trailer. Does your state allow these to be registered? In AZ we can register it as a primarily off road vehicle. That means I add a horn, plate light, and a rear view mirror, and the state issues a plate. I can then drive it on the paved streets, highways and even on the interstate. So I can drive to pretty much most of the trails or areas we wish to go.

Maintenance is simple. It’s like a car. The only thing different is drive it like a turbocharged car. When you’re going to shut it off, let it idle for a couple minutes. This keeps the clutches spinning and drawing in air to cool the primary drive belt. This simple trick will keep the drive belt from snapping.

For the cost of a new SxS you can buy a Jeep that’s used, but already modified and ready to rock crawl. A guy I work with just bought a 2007 LJ that’s very well built. It has over $20k in aftermarket parts and he picked it up for $18k.

As stated before, don’t get sold on HP. I have driven everything from the 900 (75 HP) the 1000 (100HP) the 1000 Turbo (165 HP), and a 1000 big bore kit, turbo, etc that was pushing over 200 HP.
When we all go out riding, the extra power doesn’t do anything. We all cruise around the exact same speed. On the highway the bigger ones get up to speed quicker. On rocky trails,you can’t tell the difference. Now if we were at the sand dunes, I wouldn’t be able to do a whole lot, and the super modified one really shines. But I also have zero desire to jump sand dunes at 70 mph.

Extended factory warranties are nice. I would never buy one for a regular car, but I did for that Razor. It was $1500. I already used about $500 of that when the thermostat housing had a hairline crack and was puking refrigerant at high rpm.

I would stay away from the “trail width” 50” wide SxS. Mine is 60” wide and it feels pretty damn narrow and tippy at times. The big boys are 72” wide and feel a lot more stable on side banked trails. The 1000 and bigger also have better suspension than I have. It may be worth looking into for something like that. That said, I have been able to go anywhere the big boys go around here with no issues. A lot of off roading is more about driver skill, than machine. We were out a petty rugged trail that I wouldn’t have wanted to take the Tacoma on, because I would have had some scrapes. When we got all the way to the end, there was a guy in a Subaru Outback. He just picked the right lines and had no issues.

TLDR:
Power steering is a must. I don’t think many are offered without it anymore, but don’t buy one without it. Get a good roof, you don’t want to pay for it twice. Same goes for windshield. If you will do any driving at night, get one with factory LED lighting, or prepare to pay $600+ for retrofitting. Try to get some good 10 ply tires. If it comes stock with Maxxis tires, demand they be replaced prior to purchase. Full doors are something to seriously consider. Be certain you really want this. It’s a lot of fun, and I love my SxS, but after having it for almost a year, I would probably have chosen a different path.

Good luck with your decision and purchase. Be safe out there bro.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
First question is do you want a go fast or a utility vehicle? We have two John Deere diesel Gators, a 2-seater 6X4 open top and a 4 seater 4X4 with a top, they will go anywhere and haul a ton but top speed is around 25 mph. The 6x4 is 20 years old and going strong, the operative word is diesel. Can't help with the go fasts, I have no use for or experience with them.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot to mention that is worthy of a new post.

DO NOT BUY A CFMOTO.

These seem great for the dollar. The salesman will tell you it’s everything a Polaris is, but more affordable because it’s made in China.

I have a friend that owns a shop and sells them. I was offered a great deal on one.

I’m so glad I bought the Razor.

There are so many issues with the CFMOTO that I can’t even begin to get into them. Everyone I know that bought one, wishes they had bought anything other than a CFMOTO.

You get what you pay for, and these are not worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 year old Kawasaki Teryx4 that I have added a number of accessories including an intercom. It runs just fine but is noisy. We have taken it over the Going to the Sun road a number of times and over a lot of back country roads. No problems so far with the beast. Did I mention it is noisy?
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR up at the cabin. Three-wide bench seat with a dump bed. I mainly use it for work like dragging branches & rocks, hauling firewood, & fence tools & materials. It's not fast, but it is strong. Starts right up every time, even in the cold. It's also nice for tooling around the trails at the speeds I'm comfortable with.

I bought it along with a 12' trailer from a guy who bought it new only a few months earlier. It didn't suit his needs as he wanted something faster & apparently got the wrong machine. It still isn't even broken in yet.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
Am I the only one that read the thread title and immediately thought, "skip the side-by-side and go with an over/under?"

Solid advice.

But SxS is elegant.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post