SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford power shift trans. question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford power shift trans. question Login/Join 
posted
I have been looking at a 2015 Ford fiesta that has 79K miles with power shift trans. so I got online to see what I could find out about them. Oh dear, PS tranny has some problems but if trouble hasn't shown up after 79K miles should there be any worries? It is one owner and car fax is clean.
Thanks for any input on this.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Instead of a traditional fluid coupling torque converter, the PS uses to dry engagement clutch packs to facilitate engine to transmission power coupling.

One clutch engages for odd gears, and the other engages to even gears, so the transmission can shift through gears more quickly.

Dry clutches can begin to chatter/shudder when applying (and becomes pronounced due to wear and material adhering and resulting in rapid "slip/grab" and the felt effect. Once that starts, it becomes worse as the friction and steel plates become burnt/hot spotted.

The transmission can be improved to a degree with better components if a rebuild becomes necessary, but that is still going to be a cost should it become a problem if there is no coverage on a used vehicle.

Not sure if a second owner will have recourse on repairs, but I think Ford had provisions for owners to get free repairs due to class action outcome.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Ford PowerShift is a turd. They quit making it in 2016. It may have gone this far, but that only means it's overdue. It will probably take a dump shortly after you buy it.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Every last one was defective through bad engineering.

There's worse problems than the shitty stamped metal clutch.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your enlightenment.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post