SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ninja Foodi Grill & Smoke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ninja Foodi Grill & Smoke Login/Join 
Picture of 19tass
posted
We recently purchased a Ninja Foodi Grill, and so far have grilled burgers, steaks, chicken, and pork chops. The food is coming out very tasty, but in practically every case, the smoke generated is a bit much. It creates a haze in the kitchen and living room and requires a HEPA air cleaner on high for almost half an hour to clear it out. We are following instructions in the manual as per temps and cooking times, and even basting the item cooked with canola oil as they suggest. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Can you possibly install a legitimate hood? I've found that a lot of the ways I cook generate at least some smoke or haze, but a hood will suck that up and keep it from spreading through the house.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds normal for grilling, that's why it's usually done outside. Exhaust the smoke.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Actually, its an electric grill made for indoor use, similar in ways to a George Foreman, but with more bells and whistles. Given what I have to work with, I guess the air cleaner is the best option.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We've had a Farberware Rotisserie/grill for around 20 years and it works great with no smoke. Regretfully they no longer make them but you can buy them on eBay for a hefty sum.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Are you adding wood chips and intentionally generating smoke? If so, soaking the chips in water for a few hours will delay when they start smoking.
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
even basting the item cooked with canola oil as they suggest.
My other thought is that your cooking temps are exceeding the smoke point (point at which the oil starts to burn and smoke) of canola oil. On good oil, the smoke point is clearly labelled on the side of the bottle. In addition to creating smoke in the kitchen, heating past the smoke point of oil also imparts a burnt flavor to the food.

Personally, I only keep 2 oils in my kitchen:
  • Extra virgin olive oil with a 350F smoke point
  • Avocado oil with a 500F smoke point. Both my local grocer, HEB, and Costco sell Chosen Foods Avocado Oil. I use it for cooking everything 350 to 500F, and when olive oil would impart the wrong flavor for a lower temp dish.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 19tass
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Are you adding wood chips and intentionally generating smoke? If so, soaking the chips in water for a few hours will delay when they start smoking.
    quote:
    Originally posted by 19tass:
    even basting the item cooked with canola oil as they suggest.
    My other thought is that your cooking temps are exceeding the smoke point (point at which the oil starts to burn and smoke) of canola oil. On good oil, the smoke point is clearly labelled on the side of the bottle. In addition to creating smoke in the kitchen, heating past the smoke point of oil also imparts a burnt flavor to the food.

Personally, I only keep 2 oils in my kitchen:
  • Extra virgin olive oil with a 350F smoke point
  • Avocado oil with a 500F smoke point. Both my local grocer, HEB, and Costco sell Chosen Foods Avocado Oil. I use it for cooking everything 350 to 500F, and when olive oil would impart the wrong flavor for a lower temp dish.

• It is an electric grill - no wood chips or charcoal. The Avocado oil sounds like it may be a possible solution. I;ll give it a try - thanks!

Picture of kg5388
    posted Hide Post
    Drop the oil. We get minor smoke but not much.

Steak just pat dry and salt and pepper then preheat stick probe in and let it go till it tells you to flip

Bacon preheat and throw it in for 6 min

Small pre seasoned pork tenderloin just preheat stick probe in and cook

Burger just season preheat stick probe in and cook

Haven’t had an issue with anything sticking or a lot of smoke

Even using the air fryer just preheat and throw some fries in the basket and shake after a few min and when they are crispy like you want pull and season

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimbo54:

We've had a Farberware Rotisserie/grill for around 20 years
    Your picture looks like a FarberWare 455N.

My wife and I bought our first house in 1975 and that FarberWare rotisserie / grill was one of our first kitchen purchases.

I still use it a couple of times a month.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Can you place it on top of your oven while cooking and have the exhaust fan from the oven cranked up from the get go.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post