Air Travel Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Look, I had a much longer post about how wrong it is to assert that the TSA can and will break into your locked firearm case willy nilly as a matter of course (excluding extreme extenuating circumstances of course) but instead decided to just cut through the bull for the sake of the OP...

No one but you has suggested any such thing, least of all me. There has been no suggestion of the TSA breaking into locked cases "willy nilly." In fact, I stated the exact opposite. Reading comprehension is key.

Yeah ok. Roll Eyes

quote:
... TSA can cut the lock

quote:
...but the TSA is not prevented from access to your firearm, nor from cutting locks

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My gun is in a plastic box with 2 of my keyed locks. It is secured to a rib on my suitcase with a bicycle cable. Never had any problems and have 3 flights coming up.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I use a TSA lock on the suitcase and a non-TSA lock on the gun case. I use a foam-lined plastic case, Doskosil(?) I think. I also use a cable lock to secure the gun case to the suitcase frame.

quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I know it's a false sense of security but I like a setup that allows me to also cable it to he frame of the suitcase.

I wouldn't call it a false sense of security. If someone is going to break into your suitcase between your departure and arrival points, they're not going to have a lot of time to do that. They're going to want to be quick and discreet. Trying to break through a cable lock will likely not be quick and discreet.

One of my shooting buddies is station manager for the Delta operation here. He says the vast majority of thefts, including firearms are done by the employee unzipping the bag and simply reaching, grabbing what they can and hiding it until their shift ends. There are a lot of security cameras and multiple bag scans, so he says it really is a “snatch and grab” situation. I also use a Nanovault and cable it to the interior frame. Knock on wood, flown on many flights without an issue.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post