SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone laughing at Florida now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone laughing at Florida now? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because almost half of American workers are not offered a retirement plan by the business they work for:
The Retirement Crisis: Why 68% Of Americans Aren't Saving In An Employer-Sponsored Plan

Also, most Americans work for small businesses (many of which do not offer any type of retirement plan or benefit):

It's a thread drift.... but WAY too many people have no plan for retirement and are not saving enough or at all.
Do these people really want to be completely reliant on a government program?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I still laugh at Florida.
Their economy is in great shape, but there is so much else to laugh at:
  • An inordinate amount of Darwin awards and Darwin close calls come from Florida
  • An inordinate amount of arrests for Miami and Florida State "student" athletes
  • Restaurants are full of dinner patrons at 4, but nearly empty at 7
  • Blue hairs driving 25 in a 45
  • Their BBQ

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • Blue hairs driving 45 in a 25

• More like 25 in a 45 and it's usually a white Cadillac driven by a headless little old lady.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No double standards
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by chellim1:....It's a thread drift.... but WAY too many people have no plan for retirement and are not saving enough or at all.

Side note to chellim.

Last quarter I taught a mgmt acct class, which includes budgeting and present values. There were two home assignments, one on the personal budget and forecast for the coming months, with history and balances, including credit cards. The other on retirement planning. I always get students who do the work and come back "what the heck, I spend that much, I will have that little when I retire, I need to make some changes . . .

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
    - Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
    quote:
    Originally posted by chellim1:....It's a thread drift.... but WAY too many people have no plan for retirement and are not saving enough or at all.

Side note to chellim.

Last quarter I taught a mgmt acct class, which includes budgeting and present values. There were two home assignments, one on the personal budget and forecast for the coming months, with history and balances, including credit cards. The other on retirement planning. I always get students who do the work and come back "what the heck, I spend that much, I will have that little when I retire, I need to make some changes . . .

I'm in my 30s and just recently did this, and realized we (wife included) needed to make some changes. That's even with a current 6 figure TSP, FERS pension, and military pension (can't collect until 59 since I am ANG.) When we looked at everything, it still wasn't enough really. I started doing the ROTH option available to federal employees and looked into other civilian investment options.

Planning for retirement is not fun. I figure starting now I should be good to go to retire by 65 and live very comfortably.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Moving cash
    for money
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
    quote:
    I still laugh at Florida.

Being a DAWG I'm sure you do.

I've never been so insulted. You owe me an apology.

Please let's not have Rambling Wreck the thread...

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
    Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
    Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Quirky Lurker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by FN in MT:
    Montana has NO sales tax, but does have a moderate Income Tax.

And we also MUST balance the budget.....By LAW.

I've seen years with 3% cuts to wages on State workers, certain State Offices downsized, etc. We do whatever is required to balance.

Montana still has more than 2x the state workers per capita when compared to Florida. http://www.governing.com/gov-d...ees-by-job-type.html

I love a state where the law requires a balanced budget! Smile

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post