SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone laughing at Florida now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone laughing at Florida now? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Interesting: it appears that EVERY ONE of the states that have no personal income tax, is one of the blue-colored ones on the map.

Interesting, indeed!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Missouri ranks ahead of Texas. Missouri has an income tax, Texas does not.
I'd like to get rid of it... believe me!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24069 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
It's good to see Kentucky beat the bottom. We finally have a Republican governor with some stones that is trying to fix this mess.

Problem is the democratic AG that is suing him at every turn. Yeah, the former governor's son. No conflict of interest there. Roll Eyes

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Interesting: it appears that EVERY ONE of the states that have no personal income tax, is one of the blue-colored ones on the map.

Interesting, indeed!

Utah has a personal income tax.

ETA: Never mind, I see what you're saying.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

All states that do not have personal income tax are some shade of blue on the map.

NOT all states that are blue, have no income tax.

Think in terms of all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given that they've thrown a few recent governors in jail, I'm guessing Alabama just has a reasonably efficient bureaucracy.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised as I'm a native Floridian!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

All states that do not have personal income tax are some shade of blue on the map.

NOT all states that are blue, have no income tax.

Think in terms of all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

Yeah, I picked that up after I posted.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
new public school teacher hires will be forced to join a 401K instead of pension programs.
Oh the HORROR, welcome to the real world. How many people out there have no pension or 401k

Can I ask why the real world has no pension or 401k? Even my crappy Walmart job had a company match 401k, including for P/T employees. I have seen several local manufacturing concerns switch away from Pension plans to 401k, most of which are employee only, but they are still offered.

Because almost half of American workers are not offered a retirement plan by the business they work for:
The Retirement Crisis: Why 68% Of Americans Aren't Saving In An Employer-Sponsored Plan

Also, most Americans work for small businesses (many of which do not offer any type of retirement plan or benefit):
quote:
In 2012, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 5.73 million employer firms in the U.S. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses, and businesses with less than 20 workers made up 89.6 percent.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...XpbguNAAo2604rz_um1w

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, we did electric Charlie Crist twice so we can't claim to be batting 1.000.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
Now, we did electric Charlie Crist twice so we can't claim to be batting 1.000.

Yeah, I would not count Gov. Orange as even a Ryan Republican. He's a total populist and was while in office.

But the legislature has been decent fiscally. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
It's good to see Kentucky beat the bottom. We finally have a Republican governor with some stones that is trying to fix this mess.

Problem is the democratic AG that is suing him at every turn. Yeah, the former governor's son. No conflict of interest there. Roll Eyes

The people really messed up with that office's vote.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am a little surprised that Texas only ranks 23rd. I thought our situation was better than that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Missouri ranks ahead of Texas. Missouri has an income tax, Texas does not.
I'd like to get rid of it... believe me!

I noticed that as well. Greitens will make a difference down the road I do believe.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I am a little surprised that Texas only ranks 23rd. I thought our situation was better than that.

flashguy

I am surprised CA ranked as high as it did. Maybe they aren't considering all the unfunded public pensions.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were thinking about exiting California in a couple of years when I retire.

We were looking at Arizona and possible Idaho.

May have to look more at Idaho.

My Oncologist told me there are good doctors in the Phoenix area. Don’t know anything about Idaho except there is good fishing and hunting.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Be happy. But for the Grace of God (and oppressive taxes, near sanctuary status, unemployment, bridgate, $300 million allocated to patch up the state house when the estimate was $30 mil) could be like Jersey.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Wife and I were thinking about exiting California in a couple of years when I retire.

We were looking at Arizona and possible Idaho.

May have to look more at Idaho.

My Oncologist told me there are good doctors in the Phoenix area. Don’t know anything about Idaho except there is good fishing and hunting.

Just thinking? Eek

Arizona, the Phoenix area specifically, has a lot of transplants from Chicago. You know, people who fucked up that state and fled the mess they made, and are now looking at another place to infest.

Idaho is a beautiful state though the winters aren't the friendliest.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And they laughed at flyover country too. The Dakotas are doing quite well thank you very much. And, unlike Florida, we aren't plagued with June bugs! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
And they laughed at flyover country too. The Dakotas are doing quite well thank you very much. And, unlike Florida, we aren't plagued with June bugs! LOL

Those bugs aren't as dumb as they look. Who wants to fly all that way for just one day of summer?

Sure, you have a picnic, but then it's back to ice fishing the rest of the year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post