SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone laughing at Florida now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone laughing at Florida now? Login/Join 
posted
18 years of Republican governors...

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/florida

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Political party affiliation doesn't surprise me when looking at rankings:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Virginia doesn't have an R Governor, but the General Assembly has been in our control for a very long time.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yup. And we do this with NO state income tax.

Sales tax is a fairly reasonable 6% for the state with some counties having a discretionary add-on, usually in the range of 0% to maybe 1.5%.

Property taxes aren't that terrible either. I pay in the neighborhood of $1,500.00 / year in property taxes for a house in a typical white-collar neighborhood.

Other state-imposed fees aren't that bad. Maybe $100 / year, more or less, for typical vehicle registration (gross weight dependent), somewhere around $100 for a seven-year Concealed Carry Permit.

Basically, I see it as a state government that acts reasonably responsible in terms of taking care of our money.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone expected the auto industry to vacate Michigan as quickly as it did. I just heard on the radio today that by the end of the year new public school teacher hires will be forced to join a 401K instead of pension programs.

Seriously though. What a shit show some of the states have become.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
It's good to see Kentucky beat the bottom. We finally have a Republican governor with some stones that is trying to fix this mess.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Interesting: it appears that EVERY ONE of the states that have no personal income tax, is one of the blue-colored ones on the map.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
new public school teacher hires will be forced to join a 401K instead of pension programs.
Oh the HORROR, welcome to the real world. How many people out there have no pension or 401k

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The happy consequence of responsible Bush-GOP good government!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about that chart. Illinois and NJ are only 49th and 50th.

Where's the other seven states?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Illinois may have a (R) governor but he is powerless against the (D) machine, namely madigan.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
aw man. ONE spot away from being distinguished. Thanks Philly, i really thought this new soda and cigarette taxes was going to save us.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I still laugh at Florida.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Illinois may have a (R) governor but he is powerless against the (D) machine, namely madigan.

Illinois worked hard for the distinction of #50.
Surely they will riot, loot and murder to protest the vote!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24105 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Montana has NO sales tax, but does have a moderate Income Tax.

And we also MUST balance the budget.....By LAW.

I've seen years with 3% cuts to wages on State workers, certain State Offices downsized, etc. We do whatever is required to balance.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Montana has NO sales tax, but does have a moderate Income Tax.

And we also MUST balance the budget.....By LAW.

I've seen years with 3% cuts to wages on State workers, certain State Offices downsized, etc. We do whatever is required to balance.

I'd rather have O(5-6%) sales tax and no income tax. But bravo to Montana.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Being a DAWG I'm sure you do.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Florida's governor has a background as a highly successful businessman. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. You should have heard the cries of anguish when he first started making state agencies trim their budgets when he first took office.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Being a DAWG I'm sure you do.

I've never been so insulted. You owe me an apology.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
new public school teacher hires will be forced to join a 401K instead of pension programs.
Oh the HORROR, welcome to the real world. How many people out there have no pension or 401k

Can I ask why the real world has no pension or 401k? Even my crappy Walmart job had a company match 401k, including for P/T employees. I have seen several local manufacturing concerns switch away from Pension plans to 401k, most of which are employee only, but they are still offered.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post