SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New minimally invasive back surgery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New minimally invasive back surgery Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Gosh, this could be a game changer for millions of us with back problems, looks like out patient surgery. Anyone familiar? Am I wrong to get my hopes up? Sorry I can't embed the short video --

Lumbar Micro Endoscopic Discectomy

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been around for some time. Mixed results.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the type of disc injury you have, where it is, and how much elevation you still have left after decompression. I had a similar procedure attempted on my neck at C5/C6 in 2017, but it was not successful at reducing pain in my neck and arm. After more consultation, I had a single level ACDF done by a different surgeon in December 2018. This spring was zero fun recovery wise, but my mobility in my neck and pain level is close to normal now. I still get spasms at times and have to be religious about stretching and ergonomics at work. All things considered, having the fusion done was the right call.

I would get multiple opinions from reputable orthopaedic/neurospinal surgeons in your area. I would avoid the heavily marketed outfits like laser spine institute. There are no magic pills when it comes to spinal surgery and outcomes can vary widely.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Frown

No magic bullets huh, not surprised when dealing with back issues. It seemed to good to be true. Looking closer at the link, not sure this isn't an ad. The site seems to be well-intended with decent, legitimate information, it's not all ads but this link looks to be.

A friend with worse problems sent me this. He's dealing with a good med system here, I trust the advice he's getting. I'll pass on info I get here and surely consider what I see myself as well.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post