SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Kennedy Space Center worth the cost of admission?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Kennedy Space Center worth the cost of admission? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We're taking the family to Orlando for a week, and I'm wondering if KSC is a must-see attraction? It would cost my family about $300 to go. I think it's more for me than my family, but I won't go if there isn't much to see and do there.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think it is. Lost to see, the guided tours are informative. You can spend 5-6 hours and still not see everything.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
We're taking the family to Orlando for a week, and I'm wondering if KSC is a must-see attraction? It would cost my family about $300 to go.

IMO, yes. It celebrates a half-century of some of America's unique and extraordinary accomplishments.

You cannot imagine the size/scale/complexity of those achievements without seeing some of the physical artifacts in person. My 83-year-old father in law, who has seen darn near everything, was awestruck.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Have been going with my kids every two years. Yes it is well worth it.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Worth it. Not only will you see/learn a lot about the space program but you will see a lot of wildlife that roams the area.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
yes, yes, and yes. After further thought, yes. I took my two daughters at least three times. Well worth the cost and then there is the Carvel Ice Cream.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's a lot but definitely worth it.

We've been once and also went back to watch a SpaceX launch.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's pretty cool.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have been there several times, done all the tours and still have not seen everything

the Saturn V museum is pretty awesome but also one of the saddest places on earth

its a monument to what we were

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Many different things to see, high points are:
1) Atlantis exhibit. Space shuttle history and actual shuttle. Lot of kiddie activities, hands on displays. At least 1.5 hr.
2) Launch pad--need to board Greyhound bus to go to launch pad and Apollo exhibit. Takes couple hrs.
3) IMAX theaters--2 shows that you need to time accordingly. Look at Rocket Garden, Memorial if you have time to kill.
4) New exhibit at front-used to be the Sputnick--early history of space. Go to this last rather than 1st. Other exhibits are better.
I think you can buy online tickets--parking is then discounted. Of course there is the souvenir shops and food courts. Its a full day to see the above.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Fascinating place. I never paid to get in; I was there to do some computer-related work and teach a few courses, and I had a few behind-the-scenes impromptu tours guided by some of the computer worker folks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Kennedy Space Center worth the cost of admission?

Yes!!!

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
No. Who wants to do see a bunch of old spacecraft, touch a rock from the moon, sit in a full-sized replica of mission control, land a shuttle in a simulator (nailed it on the first attempt, btw.), talk to an astronaut, etc.?

Who am I kidding? I'll be going for the second time as a chaperone for the fourth grade field trip. First time was when my son was in fourth grade and now it's my daughter's turn. Plus, We have a trip planned for our family this year and we'll be camping at Jetty Park Campground at Port Canaveral.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, plan to spend an entire day there. But well worth it.

Plan to eat dinner at Dixie Crossroads on the way back to Orlando....it's an excellent seafood restaurant and the rock shrimp are amazing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. My dad spent a big portion of his Air Force time working there. Just like people here I am sure spent the time and money to tour a place where, at least one of their parents were stationed at, means something more. My dad was proud of his work there during the late 60’s early 70’s. I would have to say rightfully so.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We were there in stifling heat, but absolutely yes!!!!

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Definitely.
The only thing that irked me a bit was the damn tour driver kept stopping to point out alligators. Dude, it's Florida. I don't need you to show me gators, it's not what we paid for.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Took my 9 year old daughter and I think we loved it equally. Go spend a whole day and enjoy.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I live about an hour from KSC and have gone every year for the last 11 years. It is quite good.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
'Nother thing in that area: on the causeway leading to KSC, is the Astronaut Hall of Fame. Right across the parking lot is the Police Hall of Fame.

The Police Hall of Fame has the nicest indoor shooting range I have been to. Good AC, air scrubbers, programable target carriers, etc. With ex-military discount, it was ten bucks.

The day I was there, the staff people were all retired cops. Not a range nazi among them, they were friendly, helpful, etc. Nice place.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post