SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fireams ownership by permanent resident aliens?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireams ownership by permanent resident aliens? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I have a friend who came from Brazil and is a permanent resident alien, and who is well on his way to becoming one of us. Is it legal for me to sell him a firearm? This would be a private sale, of course.

An online search produced vague and ambiguous results.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I think green card holders can legally purchase and own firearms.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I thought it was not legal for a non citizen to own a firearm. Thought they had to be a citizen.

Back in 2004-ish, while in the navy, had a Filipina become a citizen and a 9mm was the first thing she went to purchase

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes, green card holders are allowed to own the same schedule of firearms as citizens

I had 4 pistols and 2 rifles while I had a green card

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Even in NY. I did a couple pistol transfers for a customer while he was still an Italian citizen.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Green Card Permanent Residents have all the 2nd Amendment Rights as a normal citizen.

We migrated down from Canada and other than voting there wasn't any difference.

I'm a Naturalized Citizen now.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Green Card holders (aka Pernament Residents) have the same rights and obligations as US Citizens, except that they cannot Vote.

They pay taxes, social security, etc like everyone else.

They have the same rights as a citizen as far as firearms are concerned.

When filling out a 4473, you answer NO to the citizenship question but you have to list your Alien number (usually on the back of the green card; it looks like A# XXX-XXX-XXX)

If it were me:I would ask for the DL and the A# number and have them sign a statement that they are not prohibited from possessing a firearm.
They are supposed to have the card on them at all times as it must be produced if law enforcement asks for it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Yes. If you look at the form 4473 it asks if you are citizen or perm. Resident.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was never clarified with respect to gun purchase, but at first my wife received a 'Provisional Permanent Resident' card for the 1st 2 years were were married (I'm not sure of the title/wording - only .gov could create a TEMPORARY PERMANENT status with a straight face).
I was told that she could not purchase firearms with that status & she was told not to apply for a carry permit by an IN sheriff. We didn't push it or verify that they were correct.
She bought a gun just fine a week after she got her citizenship (a year ago yesterday).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes. Perfectly legal. My wife is a permanent resident with a green card and will soon even be getting her concealed carry permit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem in hand gun acquisition for permanent visa holders; green card is just a permanent stay visa, permanent being as long as the govt. allows you to stay.

His NICS check should take the normal time - it did in my case before I acquired my citizenship.

Now, depending upon state law, he may or may not be able to acquire a CCW. Oregon requires you to be a U.S. citizen, or have proof you are getting your U.S. citizenship in the next 6 months.

And, Green card holders do not have all the rights a U.S. citizen has. Can't serve as a commissioned officer in the military, no federal jobs for you, and some other things, in addition to not legally voting. Gets interesting if you have a parent and/or friends for security clearances too.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The 4473 has several questions related to citizenship. The instructions say permanent residents don't have to provide additional information as non-permanent resident aliens.

Elsewhere on the web from a supposed Firearms trainer says:

Link
quote:

Green Card holders are foreign nationals who are lawful permanent residents. Green Card holders may buy firearms under the exact same procedures any citizen must follow. They must be purchasing in their state of residence, like any citizen. There is a blank on the BATFE Form 4473 where the Green Card number is entered; Green Card holders must also provide proof of 6 months actual continuous residence, usually by providing 6 months of water or gas bills.

Green Card holders also, in Texas anyway, are eligible for the Texas License to Carry. I have personally had as LTC students at least three Canadians , a Briton and a Swede.

Foreign Nationals on non-immigrant visas, may buy a firearm if they possess a valid non-resident hunting license. Fill out the Form 4473, and Pass the NICS check.

This seems most reasonable.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:

And, Green card holders do not have all the rights a U.S. citizen has. Can't serve as a commissioned officer in the military, no federal jobs for you...

No one has a right to do those things.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Yes, legal permanent residents can own firearms.

If is legal for you to sell him one (assuming face-to-face transfers are legal in Georgia, you have no reason to believe the person is prohibited).

quote:
Green Card holders must also provide proof of 6 months actual continuous residence, usually by providing 6 months of water or gas bills.

No longer the case. BATFE did away with this about 7 years ago. See instructions on the 4473, Rev October 2016.

quote:
Question 12.d. Immigration Status:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa includes, among others, persons visiting the United States temporarily for business or pleasure, persons studying in the United States who maintain a residence abroad, and certain temporary foreign workers. These aliens must answer "yes" to this question and provide the additional documentation required under question 18.c. Permanent resident aliens and aliens legally admitted to the United States pursuant to either the Visa Waiver Program or to regulations otherwise exempting them from visa requirements may answer "no" to this question and are not required to submit the additional documentation under question 18.c.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I had an employee when I managed an armored car operations here in Georgia who here on a refugee visa (political asylum). She was able to purchase a firearm. So know issues at the state level either, at least none a decade ago.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Yep. I just transferred a COLT AR15 to a Texas resident permanent legal alien. Some additional data needed to be entered in NICS E-Check and the magic 'PROCEED' came back in 12 hours. The funny thing is that this person works for the federal government on classified assignment.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
So, I would assume the same applies for supressors, short barrel rifles, any other weapon, and full autos.

Correct?

Especially if they are a green card holder from Britain, after all they invented the tax stamp, did they not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Permanent residents are allowed to buy and sell. My wife is from Taiwan, has her green card, and also her CCW.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
SIG4EVA, are there any restrictions on purshase of tax stamp items that you know of for your wife?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know for a fact that greencard holders can own any Title I firearms. My wife is a green card holder. blindref on here has sold her many pistols.

I don't know about Title II devices, though.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post