SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fireams ownership by permanent resident aliens?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireams ownership by permanent resident aliens? Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Para,
From the horses mouth.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...es-purchase-firearms

More info here, if you need it:
https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

quote:

May aliens legally in the United States purchase firearms?

An alien legally in the U.S. is not prohibited from purchasing firearms unless the alien is admitted into the U.S. under nonimmigrant visa and does not meet one of the exceptions as provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as possession of a valid hunting license or permit.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(5), (g)(5) and (y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32(a)(5) ]

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Words, particularly legal terms have specific meanings.

Lawful Permenant Residents (LPR) commonly known as “Green Card” holders can purchase and possess firearms the same as U.S. citizens.

Persons admitted to the U.S. as refugees and persons granted asylum in the U.S. normally adjust to LPR status within one year, at which point they are just another LPR.

Due to high rates of marriage fraud, aliens acquiring status in the U.S. via new marriages to U.S. Citizens are admitted as “Conditional Residents” for a period of two years. Conditional Residents and their spouses must then apply for removal of their conditional status, at which time they are screened to ensure the marriage is genuine.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
As stated, yes it’s legal. Before I became a citizen, I owned a sig 2340 bought from a store and went through a background check.

Off note, the gun was in 357sig. Had it been in 9mm, I would probably still have it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is legal.

My wife has a green card and is a legal permanent resident. She has purchased a smith and wesson 29for me as a gift with no issue. She did have to go back a 2nd time because she didn't have her actual green card with her the first time.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
It was never clarified with respect to gun purchase, but at first my wife received a 'Provisional Permanent Resident' card for the 1st 2 years were were married (I'm not sure of the title/wording - only .gov could create a TEMPORARY PERMANENT status with a straight face).
I was told that she could not purchase firearms with that status & she was told not to apply for a carry permit by an IN sheriff. We didn't push it or verify that they were correct.
She bought a gun just fine a week after she got her citizenship (a year ago yesterday).

If wife was originally a “conditional resident” then either it was a new marriage or y’all were married less than 2 years at the time she applied.

Marriage fraud is a significant problem, even more so now that Immigration benefits can be obtained via same sex marriages. The review after two years of marriage provided by the conditional resident system is an important and effective tool for weeding out fraud.

If it seems silly to you it’s because you aren’t a crook and aren’t thinking like a crook.

Re buying guns, a CR has the same legal status as any other LPR during the 2 year CR period and can buy guns. The carry permit question is up to your state.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have a friend who came from Brazil and is a permanent resident alien, and who is well on his way to becoming one of us. Is it legal for me to sell him a firearm? This would be a private sale, of course.

An online search produced vague and ambiguous results.

I tried that when I worked in Alabama for a year. Basic rule is that you have the be resident in the state for a minimum of 90 days. That´s only poissible either with a green card or as a citicen of the US.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post