SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a recommendation for a flip phone with extra loud volume.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a recommendation for a flip phone with extra loud volume. Login/Join 
posted
My mother is 83 years young, lives alone and is extremely hard of hearing. I’m trying to help her choose a new cell phone. She currently has a Doro from Consumer Cellular. It’s been a good phone but doesn’t quite get the job done anymore. Any of you have experience with the Jitterbug Flip or any other flip type of cell phone with loud speaker volume you would recommend?

This wouldn’t be such a problem if she would just wear her hearing aids, but since she lives alone she feels she doesn’t need to wear them when home alone.

Thanks

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with this phone short of handling them a couple times at the phone store. But they talk them up as a job site phone good for using in loud environments. Now whether they mean the earphone portion or speakerphone portion I have no idea.
https://www.kyoceramobile.com/durapro/

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
That is the phone my wife uses.

She uses it on speakerphone all the time. It has been trouble free for 3 years at least. She has finally gotten hearing aids but still uses it as a speaker phone wide ass open

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
another vote for the Kyocera

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
My mother is 81 and uses what used to be known as a Jitterbug. I think they're now "Great Call." Her hearing is good, so I don't know about the volum, but she likes that it's a flip phone, simple, and she can get assistance from an operator.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is one I've seen advertised on our state's telephone access program commercials - it is essentially a handheld Bluetooth adapter.

HearAll SA-40 Cell Phone Amplifier

Your best option, however, is if you can convince her to use hearing aids - a lot of them now can connect via Bluetooth to the phone. Even though she lives alone, she needs to hear for unexpected noises in the house.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the information. I'll definitely take a close look at the Kyocera.

SigSAC, believe me, I've tried everything I can think of to get her to wear her hearing aids even while alone.

Anyone else have a phone suggestion?

Thanks everyone.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have that phone, it was a decent phone. I had issues with reception and call quality. As long I was in an area with good, not okay, signal it was decent. I would check that first. Otherwise indestructible.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I researched for the same thing -VOLUME- and decided on the Samsung Convoy 3, it was originally designed for Military use and inexpensive.. You might Google that one also..

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A Bluetooth speaker like the Oontz angle would be an inexpensive solution, for at home.
It can be set for very loud output and it works great as a desktop speakerphone when connected via Bluetooth. I am reminded of this every time I am listening to music on it and then receive a phone call.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post