SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your Pickle Juice Stories
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Pickle Juice Stories Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Yes, you read that right: pickle juice. I was a long-distance runner for over twenty years, but time and injury have slowed me down. Maybe related, maybe not, but for the past few years I've experienced leg cramps, mostly at night. Some of these have been excruciatingly painful, causing me to break out in a sweat. I have to get out of bed and move. Sometimes that helps, sometimes I just have to sweat it out.

I work in a running store, so I'm usually aware of sports-related news, but even I did a double-take when I heard that pickle juice could relieve cramps. On a whim, I found some online and ordered a small supply (twelve 8oz bottles). Yesterday at work, a woman customer I was helping mentioned her success with pickle juice. Later, after work, which had been a busy day, my legs felt tired, and I just knew I was going to have cramps. I drank a bottle of pickle juice before bedtime, and went to bed.

The next thing I knew it was morning. I had slept the entire night without a single cramp!

Okay, it's not much of a testimony, but I've done my share of Google searches, and there seems to be a lot of positive commentary on pickle juice.

I'm going to have another bottle tonight (my legs are still feeling a bit worn out). Does anyone else have a story about pickle juice?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
How much sodium is in that juice? And have you been avoiding salt?

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Magnesium and potassium are also helpful. Eating a banana (though it has a high glycemic index) can be helpful, as can Calm or similar products that you use to make a “tea.”

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Magnesium and potassium are also helpful. Eating a banana (though it has a high glycemic index) can be helpful, as can Calm or similar products that you use to make a “tea.”

Yep, Mg, K, and NaCl will all help. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water too. I have heard a number of successful stories with pickle juice, didn't know they were selling it by the 12-pack now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love pickle juice. Have been drinking it since I was a teenager. Not necessarily for cramping, I just like the stuff. I recall that Gatorade was invented at the University of Florida as a substitute for the pickle juice that a trainer was giving to the players to drink during games. Or something like that

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is an R.N. and she uses it to relieve cramps. Dill pickle juice only. She always keeps dill pickles in the house for that reason. It works works for her and stops the cramps pretty quickly. She doesnt use it as a preventative, just to stop one after it has started

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Does anyone else have a story about pickle juice?

My story is about making pickles.

My father gave me a recipe to make pickles, and I followed it exactly, (or so I thought!)
After doing everything it said, I left the big jar of soon to be pickles on my kitchen counter. After 2 days, I came home to the smell of garlic. When I turned the corner into my kitchen, I discovered that the jar of pickles had exploded, shooting them everywhere including pickle juice on the ceiling.

I guess I should have payed more attention to the last line of the recipe about leaving the lid loose?

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
...she uses it to relieve cramps...

I wish I had heard about this when I was married! She sure needed something! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that how Gatorade got started. The story I was told was the Florida Gator football team had a problem with terrible leg cramps from the two a days and the heat. A new recruit swore that pickle juice would take care of their cramps. Low and behold the team started drinking pickle juice and no more cramps.

Researchers then wanted to know why pickle juice was working so they took the pickle juice into the lab and figured out why it was working for leg cramps.

They came up with Gatorade because it was the aid that helped the Florida Gators football team. That is also why it started out as a green liquid resembling pickle juice.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Dude, skip the "designer" juice and just go buy you a big ole jar of Mount Olive dills. Enjoy the juice as an "after run" drunk (straight out of the jaf) and eat the pickle for an afternoon snack.

Just saved you money!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
There is an easier way that works 100% of the time for everyone I have personally recommended it to, probably 6 or 8 people over the years: when leg cramps begin consume one tea spoon of yellow mustard. They will disappear usually within one minute. People have been thanking me for this advice for years.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I get gallon jars of dill pickles at Costco. Plenty of juice included, for four bucks. I can't make my own pickles that cheaply.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
And now, for something completely different.

As an USPSA shooter I have consumed gallons of Gator Aid at the hot weather matches. Have not had the foresight to truck out a jar of mostly consumed pickles to a match. I have sipped out of a pickle jar in the evening after a shower and dinner.

Figuring to double up on hydration and relaxation I tried to make a dirty (pickle juice) martini. Being a Texan that was adjudged to to be less than succesful.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonic Drive-In just announced their summer slush flavors.

The one that is generating the most talk? Pickle Juice.

I.KID.YOU.NOT

https://www.sonicdrivein.com/

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wake up with painful leg cramps. I hobble out to the kitchen, eat half a pickle, and drink maybe an ounce or so of the juice.

Potassium tablets also work well for me.

I'm going to try eating some pickle before bed time, see if that works as a preventive measure. I'll report back.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It works.

My daughter loves pickles so I always buy a big jar and just drink the juice when I need it.

I don't need it much any more. I started taking Magnesium and Potassium supplements and that took care of the issue.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The research on cramps is by no means conclusive. But endurance athletes often have HIGHER concentrations of minerals in the bloodstream that normal, simply due to dehydration. When I get cramps, sometimes severe, the cure has been immediate large amounts of plain water.

I experimented with pickle juice, mustard, magnesium, etc, etc, ....but good old plain water works for me. I suspect the must be individual differences since the research and the anecdotal evidence is so widely varied.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I wake up with painful leg cramps. I hobble out to the kitchen, eat half a pickle, and drink maybe an ounce or so of the juice.

Potassium tablets also work well for me.

I'm going to try eating some pickle before bed time, see if that works as a preventive measure. I'll report back.

I used to suffer from painful leg and foot cramps in the wee morning hours. I’d have to walk around my bedroom for a few minutes for relief. A magnesium tablet after supper wholly fixed that issue.

Separately, I like pickle juice for its taste – especially the juice from a jar of pickled green olives.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What is it in the pickle juice that works, do you suppose?

Vinegar, salt, sugar, herbs, cucumbers, and sometimes onions.

I'd start by thinking that maybe it is the vinegar, with the salt as a possibility, if there is anything to it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post