SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your Pickle Juice Stories
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Pickle Juice Stories Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
"What is it in the pickle juice that works, do you suppose?

Vinegar, salt, sugar, herbs, cucumbers, and sometimes onions.

I'd start by thinking that maybe it is the vinegar, with the salt as a possibility, if there is anything to it."

I was wondering the same thing - and I bet you're right.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What is it in the pickle juice that works, do you suppose?

Sodium and enzymes.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
According to this article, vinegar is the primary de-cramper...

https://www.active.com/nutriti...ld-have-pickle-juice

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
According to this article, vinegar is the primary de-cramper...

Then all I can say is pick your pickle jars wisely, if you're doing it for cramps. Not all dill pickles contain vinegar. My favorite doesn't.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It took me several years to isolate problems I was having with heartburn. Finally found out it was cucumber products, including but not limited to pickles, and I love the damn things. Raw cucumbers even give me heartburn.

Oddly, a teaspoon of yellow mustard knocks out the heartburn, and quickly. More oddly no other heartburn meds like Rolaids, Tums, Prevacid, Nexium, or the like worked at all for me, who'd of thunk it.

I can only surmise it boils down to individual body chemistry.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
It took me several years to isolate problems I was having with heartburn. Finally found out it was cucumber products, including but not limited to pickles, and I love the damn things. Raw cucumbers even give me heartburn.

Oddly, a teaspoon of yellow mustard knocks out the heartburn, and quickly. More oddly no other heartburn meds like Rolaids, Tums, Prevacid, Nexium, or the like worked at all for me, who'd of thunk it.

I can only surmise it boils down to individual body chemistry.
Have you tried cutting the seeds out? Some people claim to get heartburn from the seeds. I make my tomato and cucumber salad by slicing into quarters lengthwise then I can slice the seeds out in on the quarters when I'm making it for guests.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Have you tried cutting the seeds out? Some people claim to get heartburn from the seeds. I make my tomato and cucumber salad by slicing into quarters lengthwise then I can slice the seeds out in on the quarters when I'm making it for guests.
No, but I have had cucumber chunks in a salad which had no seeds and still got heartburn, so I don't think it's the seeds.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmanic is probably on the right track regarding vinegar. This is a product that works faster on leg cramps than anything I've tried. http://www.stopslegcramps.com/index.html Product contains cider vinegar, ginger and garlic juice and may seem expensive ... until you are awakened with a cramp! It can also be used to prevent cramps, but I've never used it that way since leg cramps are unpredictable in my case.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Clark County, WA | Registered: December 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we had 16 ) five gallon crocks of pickles / pickle juice in our back yard one summer,
Dad got a bargain on tiny cuc's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
It does seem to work. But my cure and for us (me and the wife) a Bar of soap placed under the bottom sheet at the bottom of the bed works equally well and no sodium. Don't know why or how but it works for us. And the wife used to wake up almost every night with leg cramps. Current bar is Lever 2000.

Here's a google for you on the subject.

https://www.google.com/search?...lient=firefox-b-1-ab

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I play in a lot of pickleball tournaments and always carry a fast-food packet of yellow mustard in my bag. I also carry packets of Gatorade powder and try to stay hydrated throughout the day. But when the cramps come, the mustard knocks them out within a minute.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post