SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Third Day - Third City
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Third Day - Third City Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
started my mini-road trip for work on Sunday morning - ended in Murrieta Hot Springs

Monday night - beautiful downtown Palmdale

Tuesday night - not quite as beautiful Bakersfield

Wednesday night - most likely Hanford...if I am still alive

I then get to drive back to Tucson...

by the way there is about a 6 mile stretch of CA138 that would be an absolute blast to drive in the Ferrari - its relatively straight but it full of really nice undulating dips...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hanford is a step up from Bakersfield. Drive carefully. CHIP is out there.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks for the heads up...

99 isn't that bad of a road - visibility sucked today and was a wee bit warm at 102 but the drive through Tehachapi was nice - glad I wasn't going eastbound - traffic stopped both lanes going uphill towards the construction zone - they did not look happy

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What?? No Fresno??

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Bakersfield is my home town. What a hell hole. You should have kept your eyes closed while driving through.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
thanks for the heads up...

99 isn't that bad of a road - visibility sucked today and was a wee bit warm at 102 but the drive through Tehachapi was nice - glad I wasn't going eastbound - traffic stopped both lanes going uphill towards the construction zone - they did not look happy

My wife is from Tehachapi, nice little town.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have two other engineers doing Fresno, Modesto, China Lake, Henderson, Las Vegas and Chandler.

I've been in Bakersfield all day and the town has a 'sad' feel to it - can't quite put my fingers on why. Just a sense I get. Sort of weird. I am finishing up here tonight and heading to Hanford for my last project.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'd only stop for gas and keep going until you're out of there. I grew up in Fresno. Glad I survived and escaped.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been in Bakersfield all day and the town has a 'sad' feel to it - can't quite put my fingers on why. Just a sense I get. Sort of weird.

$45/barrel oil will depress most oil-dependent towns. I'm in Odessa tonight. Slightly more chipper than Bako.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

I've been in Bakersfield all day and the town has a 'sad' feel to it - can't quite put my fingers on why. Just a sense I get. Sort of weird.

$45/barrel oil will depress most oil-dependent towns. I'm in Odessa tonight. Slightly more chipper than Bako.

They never really were oil dependent. Their biggest industry for many years was agriculture. However, with all of the growth and the water problems, I do believe that has dropped off quite a bit from its glory days. From articles that I read a few years ago, they switched over and based a lot of the local economy on construction. That was great during the boom but caused a complete loss when everything went bust. They still haven't recovered from that.

On a more personal note, the town has always had a "sad" feel to it. It has always been something of a loser town and the brunt of many jokes. One thing that the locals talk about is how so few people ever leave and it's true. Even folks who leave eventually come back. It's as if the town just sucks folks in like a black hole. I'm one of the lucky few to escape the pull. We left in 1997 and have never looked back. However, after we moved, we had several friends who asked us when we were moving back. Uh, NEVER! Once we moved to Tennessee, there was no turning back. We couldn't have afforded it even if we wanted to. Thank God we now live in a place that is green, has four seasons and is free.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post