SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video survalence systems. Needs suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video survalence systems. Needs suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of dEX_RX
posted
I've had a few small occurrences lately that make me interested in a simple yet effective exterior home survalence system. I'd like the option to view the feed from my phone if possible.

I'm looking for simply 2 cameras that will store a reasonable amount of video footage for a short period of time (a week or less) and then just overwrite.

My wife has been on this Nest kick so if it could interface with our current system, even better.

My father has a system with 6+ cameras and an entire dedicated box and "command station" which took some serious effort to route the cabling and power. I'd rather not get that complex.

Anyone have a survalence system that's simple to use, reliable and a reasonably affordable price that they can suggest?

Thanks in advance!

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My daughter has a two-camera Nest system that's she's quite happy with. I have a more complex (see another thread) system that came with my house. Thanks to @striker1, I've gotten a good handle on it; it's a three-camera system with a Network Video Recorder (NVR), which is a DVR for security systems.

If you're a Mac user, or if you just want a small, capable and inexpensive system, you could look at buying a used Mac mini (~$300) and install SecuritySpy (from $29.99). The Mac mini takes up almost no space, doesn't have to be very powerful, and has enough disk space to store a bunch of videos. SecuritySpy works with pretty much every camera on the market, and the support is terrific. A 30-day demo is available.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You just need one or two of those simple wireless cameras.
Or if it is outside maybe a trail-cam.
It won't be great but it will be something.
Try a Nest, nanny-cam or something like that until your needs and commitment to something decent materializes.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm considering what to do about a surveillance system, myself. I was going to put a wired system in place, with the entire perimeter covered, but, then decided to add the extra insulation to the attic crawl space, first. Now manoeuvring up there would be a royal PITA. So I'm thinking of compromising on just 4-5 cameras and go wireless.

The most highly-rated wireless surveillance cameras/system appears to be the Netgear Arlo Pro.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm considering what to do about a surveillance system, myself. I was going to put a wired system in place, with the entire perimeter covered, but, then decided to add the extra insulation to the attic crawl space, first. Now manoeuvring up there would be a royal PITA. So I'm thinking of compromising on just 4-5 cameras and go wireless.

The most highly-rated wireless surveillance cameras/system appears to be the Netgear Arlo Pro.

I hear ya on the attic thing. Frown
Just throw a grandkid up there and let them run it.
Sure, wlan devices are easier but you will suffer big time hits on performance, features, security and more.
Go over to IPVM.com and read up a bit then make up your mind.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
We have a 5 unit Nest system.
3 interior, 2 exterior.

If you sleep nekkid, and have dogs that need to be let out early in a morning, your better half will have fun with the images Wink

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
3 interior, 2 exterior.

If you sleep nekkid, and have dogs that need to be let out early in a morning, your better half will have fun with the images Wink

How are the nest units?? I'm a sucker for an interface that's easy and works well and has reasonable quality and reliability.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I already have the Ring video doorbell, I've been looking into a couple of their cameras to go with it. Just waiting for more reviews on it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
For exterior cameras I have an Alibi 8-camera DVR kit that came with everything, including wiring. It took lots of attic time to install but it works perfectly. It also comes with an app that allows me to check the cameras and view recorded footage from anywhere that I have cell service:

https://www.supercircuits.com/...XMj8Us-5IxoCk8nw_wcB

If you want something less permanent/easier to install I would look at the Arlo cameras instead. I have one of these for the interior and it works great. Excellent video quality, easy to configure with lots of scheduling options, great app that works well, Wifi for signal but wired for power so no batteries required. It comes with 1-week of free cloud storage and then auto overwrites old data. Other cameras require you to pay a monthly fee. I will be adding a second one as soon as I get around to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make 2 exterior versions that are CR123 battery powered and doen't require any wiring. I would get a couple of these before messing with a trail camera. These will work much better and have a more user friendly app.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-VM...sr=1-3&keywords=arlo

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Pr...ords=arlo%2Bpro&th=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an IP camera system with a NVR. Running the wires was easy, but needed help from the retailer on the software set up. It took more time than you currently want to spend, but the images are very excellent. We have 9 cameras, all are 3mp, and any criminal would be clearly recorded.

For a real simple system, there are video cameras inside exterior light bulbs. To view the images you must remove the light bulb, as there is no wiring. Ultra simple and quite reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-...llance/dp/B00GH2DZ4S

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Para, can we please get a sticky on home surveillance camera systems? We go through this so often.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If a sticky could be made we might want to collect the info from all threads into one. I would be happy to assist if clerical work is needed.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dEX_RX:
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
3 interior, 2 exterior.

How are the nest units?? I'm a sucker for an interface that's easy and works well and has reasonable quality and reliability.

The nest units are very simple to install and set up. They send an email to your server whenever they detect motion. Quality of the video is pretty average, and the night vision is pretty good.
They run off the main electric, through a plug in system, but also have a battery back-up, for a short amount of time, inn case the power fails.
We have had them installed for the last 2 years now, and have not had an issue with them.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post