New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Owners Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I need to get a flea/tick collar for Bandit - went to the pet store and it was $100 for an Advantix

I have heard horror stories about Hartz Mountain

whats the forum wizdom on this -

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
We've used the Seresto collar. Read up online about it as it has been very effective for us, but there have been some rare side effects.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Seresto. Available at Wally World for $55.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with NexGard monthly chewable prevention. It has worked far better than any collar or Advantix topical, and I believe possible side effects are less.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks - will read about them - hadn't heard of this brand

even the sales clerk at Pets Plus said their collars were badly over-priced

back in NH I tried the liquid ampule that you put on the skin between the shoulder blades - it drove Bandit absolutely nuts

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
You should check with Jeff Yarchin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Is there a particular reason for a collar vs. a chewable like NexGuard? I don't use flea/tick preventative snow, but when I did, I used NexGuard with excellent results and no known side effects.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chp37:
I have been very pleased with NexGard monthly chewable prevention. It has worked far better than any collar or Advantix topical, and I believe possible side effects are less.

And apparently they're yummy.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use the drops, a couple of drops around the collar area and no fleas or ticks for a month or at least until bath time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Frontline liquid stuff works great for us

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
We use the Seresto collars. Put them on in April and forget about them until we throw them away after the first good freeze. I buy them on Amazon seems like about $45 each.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'd wait to hear what Jeff has to say, or slabsides...I personally wouldn't use a collar, just a chewable or topical (like frontline, but I hear there's better now).
You're right about the Hartz collars.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yeah, she doesn't react well to the liquid drops

Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I use the chewables, believe they are Nexguard. My Dutchie is constantly running through the woods and no issues at all for the last 2 years.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a DVM.... go with one of the orals... Bravecto, Nexguard, Simparica. They are light years ahead of any topical or collar out on the market.

Posts: 13 | Location: Illiniois | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what my vet recommended

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I've been using, agree whole heartedly with above, and it comes in somewhere around $20 a dose or so for a 100lb dog if you buy a 6 month supply.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Flea collars in Florida are like throwing money down a hole, and the topicals for a dog that's in the water a lot, well you know how that works. IMO, the best solution on the market for flea and heartworm prevention is Triflexis. Once a month orally and no more issues. The only caveat is that some dogs don't handle Triflexis well. Since my hounds could digest cinder blocks, this has been my primary defense again those little creepy crawlies, and its worked very well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
You should check with Jeff Yarchin.

This. Jeff has some of the best prices without buying overseas, and possibly getting a knockoff with who knows what as the active ingredient.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Flea collars in Florida are like throwing money down a hole, and the topicals for a dog that's in the water a lot, well you know how that works. IMO, the best solution on the market for flea and heartworm prevention is Triflexis. Once a month orally and no more issues. The only caveat is that some dogs don't handle Triflexis well. Since my hounds could digest cinder blocks, this has been my primary defense again those little creepy crawlies, and its worked very well.

Trifexis is great but provides no deterrent for ticks.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post