SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well I thought I was healthy, today I was put on Lipitor. Long read.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well I thought I was healthy, today I was put on Lipitor. Long read. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The nurse should not be practicing medicine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for pointing that out. Poor word choice on my part. The nurse should not be interpreting the test results. That would have been a better response on my behalf. This is a common practice in busy offices, but in this case the physician clearly explained the concern about the test results. My physician goes over the labs with me, not the nurse. In my opinion, that is what I am paying for and what I expect.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You don't need much Liptor to see results, like 10 MG.

See Dr Stephen Sinatra's articles. You need to take CoEnzyme Q10 when taking statin drugs:

https://www.drsinatra.com/undo...e-effects-of-statins

https://www.drsinatra.com/the-...ects-of-statin-drugs

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm younger than you with bad genetics and went on statins two years ago. Lipitor caused side effects within three days. Crestor works much better for me. 10mg knocked the bad numbers down. Def talk to a cardiologist about the blockage and get a second opinion on the drugs.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd get a second opinion, and get some serious cardio and diet control (food quality and nutritional makeup, not calories) as an approach.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I decided to take the Lipitor and quit trying to work my life around all the alternative methods.

Life is much easier now.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
My HDL has always been low and so is my brother's. My total cholesterol number is always low as is my LDL. My last MD wanted me to go on Lipitor but I refused. My new doctor never even mentioned it after last results. I have read that there has been inconclusive data on if Lipitor raises HDL and with some possible side effects of statins I did not want to try it. I did have echocardiogram in hospital a couple years ago after emergency surgery and MD said everything looked fine.

But everyone's situation is different and if I was in your shoes I would see a cardiologist.

Last results:

Total: 134
Tri: 164
HDL: 34
LDL: 65.2

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Definitely see a cardiologist.
Genetics are more important than lifestyle, for many people.
Statins have been shown to lower numbers on blood work but the expected lower incidence of heart disease/heart attacks hasn't been impressive.
Do a stress test, if your cardiologist recommends one. Be very, very alert for any "different" sensations in your chest, during. Do not conceal/dismiss anything!
Consider a diagnostic angioplasty, if your cardiologist recommends one.

Be well,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a family history of heart disease and an older brother who dies in 2011 after a minor hernia correction. The Autopsy indicated the cause of death was due to a combination of a coronary artery that was 75% blocked and "thrown clot". BTW, my brother was a lifelong runner who never smoked even one single cigarette. However he had been having issues with fatigue that had him walking instead of running and didn't ever mention that to his doctor. Lesson here is that a simple 12 lead Stress Test would have probably saved my brothers life. So, do NOT EVER hide any symptoms from your doctor.

Me, I am an ex 37 years smoker who spent about 35 years as a couch potato. I've also been on aspirin since 2006 because of hardening of the arteries. My brothers death was a wake up call for me and a month after he died I quit smoking. Two years ago I had my backside parked on a couch watching the boob tube and had the epiphany that I needed to start walking. Got up, took the dog for a walk and haven't looked back. In the past two years my lung capacity has improved by 18% (a huge gain for an ex smoker, took me from borderline COPD to slightly obstructed), I've lost about 45 lbs., my HDL went from 29 to 49, and currently my resting heart rate is averaging 54 and my VO2 Max is currently at 39. Not bad for a 62 year old who could barely make it a mile two years ago.

Notes, good accurate heart rate monitors are now quite inexpensive. I just ordered a spare Garmin Premium Chest monitor from B&H Photo and Video for just 39.95. BTW, that's a 20 dollar discount and I suspect that it's being discontinued in favor of the Premium monitor with Running Metrics, so if you want a good accurate chest monitor at a bargain price act quickly. I'll also warn you the LED based wrist monitors aren't at all accurate for me, they have lots of estimation going on that is done based on movement to conserve battery power and any change in activity will show up as a drastic swing in heart rate. I have a Schosche Rhythm+ that is very highly reviewed and if I get up to let the dog in it will spike my heart rate to over 130 just because I stood up. Bottomline, there is nothing more accurate than an electrically based monitor that is tracking and reporting your heart rate on a continuous basis.

So, why am I harping on Heart Rate monitors. It is because if you have even a suspicion of plaques in your arteries you need to be monitoring your heart rate every single time you do any real exercise. It's also an excellent idea to call your doctor if you see something unusual or unexpected in your heart rate trace. It's also not a bad idea at all to talk to your doctor about setting limits for your workouts and changes to those limits as you improve your fitness. Note, a sudden drop in heart rate of over 10 bpm while working out at a steady pace is an indication of the heart reducing it's output due to a lack of oxygen (meaning something is blocked). The first symptom you will experience after that decline in output is a sudden increase in fatique, try "pushing through" that fatique and you may experience the second symptom, a Heart Attack. Now do you understand the importance of monitoring your heart rate as you exercise.

So, what would I recommend for heart rate monitoring. Two brands come to mind. One is Garmin and the other is Polar. Garmin has excellent fitness watches from the Forerunner 25 up to the 930 XT and all will work with Garmin's ANT+ chest monitors. The Garmin Fenix 5 and 930 XT will also work with a Polar Bluetooth based chest monitor. Me, I have the Forerunner 235 and it works well but the LED based wrist monitor is only accurate if you are sitting still or sleeping, I've tried it at a slow 18 minute mile pace and even at that strolling pace it was all over the map on heart rate. Polar also has well reviewed fitness watches and a Bluetooth chest monitor that can not only link with the watches they can also link with fitness apps on a smart phone. Unfortunately the Gamin chest monitor only links with a watch which then only feeds the data recorded to an app on a smart phone, as a result you cannot get a live heart rate display on your smart phone from a Garmin chest monitor.

Finally, Rome wasn't built in a day. Start out slow at a pace that requires a bit of effort but isn't the least bit uncomfortable. You may also want to ask your doctor about a 12 lead Stress Test to determine your current capacity for exercise and to help set limits for your current maximum and average heart rates. I'll also tell you that when I was in the Weight Loss phase of my life change I was only losing 8/10 lbs. per week. However, that is a rate that is sustainable and quite healthy. So if you are trying to lose weight don't be discouraged because you aren't doing it as fast as those infomercials claim. Truth is that sudden weight losses are mostly water and if you "only" lose 1 lbs. per week that adds up to 52 lbs. in a year.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Two notes:

1. Cholesterol issues are often genetic and diet and exercise are not sufficient to get things under control. I fall into that group, as well as the "family history" group. I've been on Atorvastatin and a baby aspirin for years.

2. I discussed self-diagnosis via the internet with my doctor. I did NOT mention which websites I used. His immediate response was "WebMD is driven by the pharmaceutical companies that support it. You cannot depend upon the information there as it is skewed towards recommending medications produced by the companies that support the site." He went on to say that if you MUST search the web for medical information, the Mayo clinic sites are the most accurate and unbiased.
My older brother is diabetic and refuses to maintain his diet. He 2nd guessed his doc one time too many and, his Doctor asked him, why in the hell did he spend all his years in medical school. I bet your PCP knows you well Steve. Its a hard damn thing to do but get the sugar under control with diet and activity.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I want to share something in a seperate post here. A long time friend was having minor vision problems and needs to maintain his health as, he is a commercial driver. While not a huge eater, he did like to go for 2nds in almost all meals, ate terrible amounts of junk food while living on the road. He committed to a strict diet like I have never seen. I felt bad for hime because he was eating like a mouse. He did it and I was so proud. Even a few years later he knows how to eat better. Wish I could do it. Get strong P220 and take care of your health.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Personally, I'd get a second opinion, and get some serious cardio and diet control (food quality and nutritional makeup, not calories) as an approach.
Yes sir.

posted Hide Post
Not a big deal P-220. A year ago in march, I had a Calcium score like you did and they found zero, which I was happy with since my total cholesterol is 245. But, surprise you have an ascending aortic aneurism.
So I'll be on BP meds and generic Lipitor 20mg forever. Had my second CT last week this time with contrast (so that's what a hot flash feels like). I get my results next week from my cardiologist so fingers crossed that no chest cracking this year.
That original calcium score I had to pay $100 out of pocket but is probably the best money I've spent. I would suggest anyone have it.
Good luck, I hope you make progress on those numbers.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I was on Pravastatin for about 3 years.

It was sheer Hell. No energy. No mental focus. I always felt like I was i a fog. No desire to do anything other than sit, because I didn't have the energy to do anything else. If I took a phone call at the office that was the least bit mentally taxing, I'd find myself falling asleep afterward. By year 3, I was in a serious depression. Sure my cholesterol numbers "improved," but I was ready to jump off a bridge.

I went off them almost a year ago, with my doctor's consent (but I was going to do it without if I had to), and I feel like a new person. My energy is back. I'm not depressed.

I also don't remember a lot of the three-years I was on the drugs. I recall significant events, but not much else. It's like there is just a fog over that part of my life.

Do what your doc advises, sure, but do some research into statins as well. There is a dark side to them.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I guess I am the odd man out, I take as little medication as possible. I have manufactured medicine before and there is a lot of bad things put into it, I was amazed at just how much. There are many pharmas that do as much damage as good, hence all the side affects. Tell me, if all these drugs are so good at preventing heat attacks why are people having so many of them? You would think that heart attacks would be very rare with all these medications to prevent them.

I am a believer in diet and exercise even though I admit even genetics can overcome those. I'm just not a believer in the cholesterol link to heart attacks but the pharma companies make a good living off selling the meds for them.

Doctors go through a lot of training but they do not know everything, heck, they still have no cure for the common cold. With the changes in health care laws and obamacare I've seen more and more doctors (well my doctors anyway) pushing ways to make them more money. I had two surgeons insist I needed to have my gall bladder removed yet against their all knowing advice I still have mine and have no problems (although I admit I may in the future). But, surgeons make no money off me unless they are operating so they push their surgeries. Do not think your doctor has your best interest at the forefront of everything they do.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I was on Pravastatin for about 3 years.

It was sheer Hell. No energy. No mental focus. I always felt like I was i a fog. No desire to do anything other than sit, because I didn't have the energy to do anything else. If I took a phone call at the office that was the least bit mentally taxing, I'd find myself falling asleep afterward. By year 3, I was in a serious depression. Sure my cholesterol numbers "improved," but I was ready to jump off a bridge.

I went off them almost a year ago, with my doctor's consent (but I was going to do it without if I had to), and I feel like a new person. My energy is back. I'm not depressed.

I also don't remember a lot of the three-years I was on the drugs. I recall significant events, but not much else. It's like there is just a fog over that part of my life.

Do what your doc advises, sure, but do some research into statins as well. There is a dark side to them.

A +1 on many of the same issues raised here. I tried about all the statins, I just don't do well with them, usually weakness in muscles. It creeps up on me and when I stop taking them the strength returns.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've been taking 10mg of Lipitor generic for a long time now, like since it went generic. My only complaint is I was getting sore, so I started taking CoQ10 and it's much better. I have high BP, it seems to be higher, much higher in the doctor's office then it is at home. I take BP medicine because I feel better when I do. I'm way overweight, especially since I got hurt in three separate falls (!!) in 2007, but I have sugar that diabetics would kill for, it's "perfect". I don't drink milk ( I haven't drank a glass of milk in 35 years at least, eat cheese (Never, it's disgusting), and only have ice cream a half dozen times a year, and my heart is fine. Other than the BP, and severe back and knee issues (partially genetic, and from the 3 big and endless other falls since 2007), I'm in good health. I think my heart is ok due to the lack of dairy in my diet. I go for periods when I starve myself to lose 25-30 pounds (my exercise tolerance is pretty bad due to my knee and back issues), but after a certain point, I get almost obsessed with my next meal and I get very upset if it turns out bad or not. At that point, I basically have to stop the dieting, or I would consider suicide (I'm not kidding, and I'm a normally very happy person, but when I do the starve thing, I get very angry with life in general).

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starvation dieting is a guaranteed method for GAINING weight. Because it triggers the body into a Starvation Mode that releases hormones that cause the body to store MORE fat. The truest way to lose weight and keep it off is by modifications of what you eat and increase in exercise. Note, when I was losing 8/10 lbs. per week I simply started eating more Veg and less Meat, reduced my habit of "grazing" on snacks (substituted fruit), and started walking at a 15 minute per mile pace.

For those with foot or knee issues, most gyms have low impact machines that allow you to exercise without causing further harm to your joints. BTW, I currently am dealing with Plantar Fasciitis so most of my "roadwork" is on an Elliptical Trainer. Hated that machine at first but now do 6 1/2 miles per day on one and am getting rather fit by using one. Did have to learn to limit the miles on one because they do tend to tweak my ankles if I do too many miles in one session.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I take 40 Mg daily. Have been one it for a while and it is working and I have had no ill effects. It's not a big deal but can be very beneficial health wise.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on it for about 8 years with no ill effects. My cholesterol was about 250 despite a normal BMI and reasonable eating. I did my best to lower it through diet and 6 months later it was 235. 3 months on Simvastatin and it was 190.

Diet and exercise may work to some extent, but the statins work MUCH better.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Diet and exercise may work to some extent, but the statins work MUCH better.

Really? How did man survive prior to these drugs? The usefulness of statins depends upon who you ask, there are heart surgeons that believe sugar is the root cause of heart disease, not cholesterol. Here is but one article questioning statins but believe what you want.
http://www.upi.com/Health_News...trial/9941459863555/

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post