SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Don’t take selfies with bears, Aspen police warn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t take selfies with bears, Aspen police warn Login/Join 
posted
Thanks for the tip!!! Unbelievable. Link has video of this stupidity.

Link http://wgntv.com/2017/09/15/do...s-aspen-police-warn/

ASPEN, Colo. -- Video of a mother bear and her two cubs climbing down a tree in the middle of Aspen, Colorado went viral earlier this week, prompting police to issue a warning about trying to photograph the wild animals.

When the bears came down from the tree on the Hyman Avenue mall, police said there was a "fairly large crowd of photo-takers and those that insisted on trying to get close enough to take selfies."

Police said one woman walked up to the bears -- while carrying her child -- to get a selfie.

Police said when the bear and her cubs tried to make a run for it, they were followed by a group of people trying to get video.

This led to the cubs getting separated from their mother, police said.

"The mother bear returned to the mall, very agitated and making loud crying sounds," police stated. "People were still walking right up to her, even when it was clear she was agitated and growling as people got close."

Police said the bear could have easily turned and attacked one of the onlookers -- and then they would have been forced to euthanize the bear.

"What may seem like an opportunity for a good selfie, could cost a bear its life," police stated.

The mother bear and her cubs found each other again after being separated. Police also issued a reminder that it is illegal to harass any wildlife.

"Harass means to unlawfully endanger, worry, impede, annoy, pursue, disturb, molest, rally, concentrate, harry, chase, drive, herd, or torment wildlife," police said.

Police took a lighter tone on Facebook, comparing the bears to celebrities being stalked by paparazzi.

"Lately, the Aspen Bears have felt like Mariah Carey in Aspen on New Year’s Eve. The paparazzi have been following their every move around town, trying to get close and snap selfies," police said.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
What may seem like an opportunity for a good selfie, could cost a bear its life," police stated.

Might even cost a persons life.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
quote:
What may seem like an opportunity for a good selfie, could cost a bear its life," police stated.

Might even cost a persons life.

I'm not a wildlife expert and I didn't stay at a HI Express last night. But I think if people are harassing a bear and someone ends up dead the bear should get one free pass. Now if it comes back repeatedly and is aggressive yeah, but not after one attack when it's just protecting its cubs.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Police said when the bear and her cubs tried to make a run for it, they were followed by a group of people trying to get video.

Yeah, every time we visit Yosemite, somewhere in the valley, there will always be a large crowd of people running hysterically down a road with cameras/cellphones out. It's pretty comical.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sometimes Darwin just needs to take its course...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just need to stop warning people not to due stupid shit.

Bears have to eat, OK?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
That newscaster was gorgeous!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Please let them take selfies. We need nature's help to reinvigorate the gene pool.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That bear walked right behind that old guy, who wasn't even looking at it. Im talking a 2 foot distance between a 70 year old man and a grizzly with two cubs. Idiot. He saw the bear and then turned his back to it with not a care in the world.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I don't think that was that sow's first trip downtown... That is not normal lol.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Yeah, every time we visit Yosemite, somewhere in the valley, there will always be a large crowd of people running hysterically down a road with cameras/cellphones out. It's pretty comical.

Now, there's a storm brewin'.

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have difficulty imagining the level of stupidity it takes to try to get a "selfie" with a bear and her cubs. Mind boggling.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Now, there's a storm brewin'.

Lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the bear mauled one of the idiots they'd be crying for the bear be put down.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were setting in our car in Custer State Park in South Dakota when we saw two young women approach a huge bull buffalo and turn their backs within a couple of feet of it to take a selfie.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
That newscaster was gorgeous!

So I take it you wanna get bear with her?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Back in 1960 we had just rotated to the US and were on our way to visit family in Idaho. We went through Yellowstone Park. Came around a curve and saw a bunch of cars standing, people outside of them surrounding several bears, including at least one female with cubs.

These assholes were hand feeding the bears candy, sandwiches, etc etc.

One stupid witch actually set her kid (maybe 3 years old) on a full grown black bear's back, stood next to it for pictures. I very carefully moved through the crowd while hoping nobody, or a bear, was killed. Drove up the road a ways and came across a park ranger. Stopped and told him about it. He shook his head as if to say, "not again", got in his car and headed that way.

We drove on out of the park and went on our way.

Freaking idiots! And the sad part is that that shit was so many years ago. And has been getting worse, at warp speed, ever since.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We were at Yellowstone this spring and came across one of the herds. There were several tour buses with tourists spilling out, cameras ready. I stopped and said "I'm not going to say a word." Sure enough, one of the cows started to move towards the crowd. Somebody must have yelled as the tourist all started trying to use the bus door at the same time.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
People from Colorado--even Aspen, used to kinda know things like this. Phones may be "smart," but you don't have to be smart to have one.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post