SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Q regarding dead batteries on aged portable computers...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q regarding dead batteries on aged portable computers... Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I'm aware that you folks can find and replace laptop batteries quite easily but I wonder if you take that road or normally upgrade your machines to newer models.

I do not have the option to upgrade/ update because prices are unaffordable but I'm asking myself if I should start looking for ways to replace my old laptop batteries.
I have become a master of keeping old hardware running forever, a blessit and a curse.

Thanks.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If it performs to your satisfaction then by all means get a new battery if you need one.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
both my laptops are 'vintage' by some folks standards and have had new batteries installed,

both are refurbed business machines (one is only a few years old, the other maybe 10)

batteries were relatively inexpensive too

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I know people who regard an 6-month old electronic device as "old"...

My most vintage laptop is a Powerbook Duo, and it even has a microdock. It works perfectly, although the battery is bad and it gives the laptop issues if you leave the battery plugged in. (Some folks tear apart and rebuild their own batteries, I have done that yet)...

I really like with the Macbook Pros (and pretty much any of the Mac OS laptops) you can get the battery cycle and percentage information from a stock OS app. Tells you very quickly what the performance on battery is likely to be and when you really need to replace.
Only Windows laptop series I've seen that do this (without using a second-hand app) are the Alienwares-

(My oldest working computer is a Macintosh SE (I.E. what many people are using for aquariums).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

(My oldest working computer is a Macintosh SE (I.E. what many people are using for aquariums).

I hope you still have the double floppy drive. That rig is worth a fortune now.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Heck, it has the original keyboard and mouse.
I even have the SE travel bag with the shoulder strap. In those days you traveled with those for Powerpoint presentations. (It was considered "portable").

Also have a Commodore SX64 (which was the self-contained suitcase model) that spent part of it's time on a submarine with my brother in the late 80's. The SX64 was a pretty neat little computer in it's time.

In the 90's I was in the corporate world. I did beta-testing when possible and got some prototype/models for evaluation. I still have the original Apple Newton with all of the accessories (modem/battery packs, leather case, Newton connection kit, etc.

I also had a small side rendering business in the 90's/early 2000 and still have a number of the silver and gray Mac desktops that had the early multiple processors with 4 internal drives and had over 1 GB of ram in 2001 (big deal then). All work perfectly.
Got complete boxed versions of Mac Photoshop 1.0 probably through 7.0 along with other Adobe packages.

We used multiple external fast-SCSI drives and I had no idea they had become so collectable until I showed someone a few of them lately. I have a large rubbermaid tote full of the various interface SCSI cables, some still new in packaging.
In 2013 I sold one load of the older stuff to a collector in NJ. Doing venture startups I kinda just kept a lot of this stuff around.

One of these days I'm going to go to one of the vintage computer meets and liquidate. (That will make my wife very happy)...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
0-0, when I needed to replace the battery in my laptop, I ordered a new one, much better than the OEM battery, from: http://drpowerglobal.com/drbattery/

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
O-O,

I usually just buy a cheap non-OEM battery and keep the laptop running a while longer.

I remember you asking about laptop batteries. The cells inside the battery case are usually 18650 batteries. You should be able to find these pretty readily, even in BA, and solder them into your battery case if you need.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I'm aware that you folks can find and replace laptop batteries quite easily but I wonder if you take that road or normally upgrade your machines to newer models.

I do not have the option to upgrade/ update because prices are unaffordable but I'm asking myself if I should start looking for ways to replace my old laptop batteries.
I have become a master of keeping old hardware running forever, a blessit and a curse.

Thanks.

0-0

In addition to newer stuff I’ve got two older laptops, both 10 years old at least, both work perfectly. I was able to find replacement batteries not too long ago. One of the laptops has a 2nd battery which fits in the removable CD/DVD bay. It has a bad cell and I’ve thought one of these days I might try to replace the 18650 cells using the plastic holders. Not sure I’ll ever do it though.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post