SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Low Carb / High Protein breakfast >>>>>
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Carb / High Protein breakfast >>>>> Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't ask this, but I'm weighing in here on this topic because I have a different take on things.

As background information, I am 65 years old, 5' 10" and 157#. From those stats, you would (correctly) guess I'm not on a weight loss regimen.

And the reason I am not is that I am an active person. I run 3-4 times a week, and when I'm at work I use the stairs (my rule is always: 2 flights down or one flight up = take the stairs).

Being active has multiple advantages. For starters, my weight is contained (if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight). Also, my resting heart rate is around 56 (phlebotomists are always amazed when I donate blood), I have improved VO2 max, and I'm generally more limber than I would be if I spent most of my time on the couch or at a desk (although I do work at a desk most of the time).

So, for me the bottom line isn't so much the quantity of proteins vs. carbohydrates vs. fats that I consume, but the quality. I don't drink alcohol, carbonated beverages, I don't eat fried foods (especially deep fried), and avoid excess sugar.

To me, a "diet" is simply a time bomb waiting to go off. When someone starts a diet, the implication is that there is and "end" to it. As soon as a diet ends, the time bomb goes off, and most if not all the gains are lost.

It's all about lifestyle, in my opinion. Resolve to live a healthier lifestyle and you'll never have to worry about diets or what to eat for breakfast.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I lost 30 lbs in 4 months in a low carb diet recently and have kept it off.

Monday - Friday (grab and go)

1/2 cup cottage cheese (regular, not low fat)
1 or 2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup fresh berries (raspberries or blackberries)

Weekend

omelette or
fried egg with side of bacon or
cast iron frittata

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Breakfast sandwich.

Fried egg, sausage or bacon and some cheese on a toasted bagel or English muffin.

Advantage is you can make it the day before, it simplifies your morning. Then you can eat it at home or at the office while processing your morning email.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of cautions

Grapefruit can interfere with certain medications.

If you haven't got any idea what your lipid profile looks like or your glucose either, see your doctor first.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I have 3 eggs and a 1/4 lb of 97/3 lean grilled beef patty every day for the last 4 years. one thing I will tell you is while its great to have something to keep you full all day, its easier to snack on stuff throughought. I have 30 almonds at 10 a.m. carrots at 11am. banana at 9am. this keeps me full.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
Omelets

This. A good omelet with cheese and some sort of meat in it will go a long way.

Also looks into Quest bars as a good meal replacement or in between meal filler. They're low carb and high fiber so they fill you up. And they taste good as well.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I have 3 eggs and a 1/4 lb of 97/3 lean grilled beef patty every day for the last 4 years. one thing I will tell you is while its great to have something to keep you full all day, its easier to snack on stuff throughought. I have 30 almonds at 10 a.m. carrots at 11am. banana at 9am. this keeps me full.

Of course you're full, you're eating once an hour on the hour .. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Greek yogurt (of your choice) with a handful of peanuts thrown in. Keeps me filled for several hours.

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I like a Scotch Egg variation. Wrap breakfast sausage around a boiled egg and bake.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tagged as I sip on my coffee with coconut oil. Not hungry yet.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Quality carbs at breakfast aren't a bad thing. Reducing the amount of carbs at later meals is more important in my experience.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Quality carbs at breakfast aren't a bad thing. Reducing the amount of carbs at later meals is more important in my experience.

"It depends..."

He needs to know how his body responds to carbs and the physical demands through out the day. Without a blood glucose meter he is just guessing.

We don't need to be diabetic to benefit from using this tool. "Quality carbs" are more meaningful once he knows his blood glucose level and can relate it to "how he feels".

Too often we get the "feeling" and just eat, when we could just drink a little water and wait a few minutes to reassess is that a hunger pang?

Those of us that work in an office know the rut of the lunch crowd that ask "where are we going for lunch today?". We eat more often because the time on the clock says its lunch hour, when we should ask ourselves "am I hungry yet?"

I know I'm a desk jockey and not a nomad/hunter surviving from meal to meal. But I shouldn't fall apart because I skip breakfast and have a late lunch.

What is all the exercise and training good for if you fall out during a crisis because you missed your snack time?

Still not hungry yet...

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
If OP wants low carb then why would he eat a sugar bomb I mean two oranges or half a melon?

I've been trying low(er) carb and breakfast tastes great. Eggs, bacon, steak, pork. Mmmmmmmm.

But without some low sugar veg, or bread, or plain oatmeal, I have a hard time getting through the morning without getting hungry. Extra fat seems to help (whole milk plain yogurt, hard cheese, or sausage/burger instead of lean steak or ham).

And that batter sounds good (except for cottage cheese, but it blends, right?). I'm going to try that.

Yes, blend it all. It'll turn out kinda "crepe-like" as is. Extra oats will give it a thicker pancake (but these will never be fluffy like a traditional pancake). We top with pure maple syrup usually. We usually throw a few strawberries and a handful of spinach in there too. You can't taste the spinach, but the kids think the green color is fun. You can taste the strawberries. Sometimes we put additional diced strawberries in the batter after blending too, but that will just add more good carbs.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Dean dlite sandwich, banana coffee. Weight watchers has it as 9 points, 230 calories. The sandwich is egg whites and turkey sausage. Take your time eating it.

http://www.jimmydean.com/produ...heese-english-muffin

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
First, it's okay to be hungry. Your stomach has stretched and expanded over years to accommodate a lifestyle of eating to excess. A little discomfort as your body optimizes itself is expected. Suck it up.

But to answer your question:

25-35 grams of whey protein isolate in water and a banana.

3 hours later, a piece of fruit such as an Apple or a Banana.

2 hours later, 2/3 of a grilled chicken breast and a hand-sized portion of vegetables. Today is Brussels sprouts.

A Protein Bar about an hour before my workout.

25-35 grams of whey protein immediately after the workout.

Reasonable dinner. Some carbs, some veggies, some proteins. Something sweet for desert.

I'm 34 years old, 6'2" and 211 lbs. I was 240 lbs at my heaviest, and estimate that I've lost 50 lbs of body fat and added 20 lbs of muscle. Maybe more at this point, as I've stopped tracking my body fat for about a year now.

I still go out to eat, travel, eat whatever the eff I want on occasion, but have really just got into the habit of saying "it's okay not to eat everything." I order less food to begin with now, and treat beer and cocktails as an additional menu item and not something to wash down my food. It's a burger with a side of fries OR burger with a beer, but not burger + fries + beer.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. Great ideas and suggestions here !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
My go to breakfast is 1 whole egg and 1/2 cup of egg whites scrambled. Hot sauce to taste. 1/4 avacado smeared on toasted Ezekiel bread.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Of course you're full, you're eating once an hour on the hour .. Smile

Ya that helps. I seriously crush some food. Nice thing is I get mod my B vitamins from bfast. Those suckers are heard to get and I dont do supplments or vitamins, I prefer to get them from food.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
To get true low carb you have to be under 50gr of carbs per day. Anything starch or sugar is going to rack up 50gr pretty quick.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
For breakfast each day I eat 4 hard boiled Egglands best Omega 3 eggs, ~1/2 cup of cooked wild boar sausage (pretty lean), and a glass of 2% Snowville organic milk.

For just breakfast this breaks down to:
750 calories
78 grams protein
32 grams fat
28 grams carbs

This does a good job of keeping me full until lunch without blood sugar crashes or feeling the need to snack.

I boil/peel the eggs and thaw/cook the sausage on Sunday so that it's all ready to go for the work week. If I run out of wild boar sausage before I have a chance for another hunt I'll just get some ground pork from the store instead.

All those boiled eggs can get old after a while so on the weekends I mix it up with an omelette instead since I have time to cook one using fresh eggs. If I want or need some additional carbs I will toast an english muffin but go without it most days.

For lunch its typically grilled chicken, veggies of sort, and a banana, enough to keep me full until the end of the work day. Afternoon snack is usually greek yogurt or a protein shake if I need it. On lifting days I add in protein shakes with simple carbs before and after working out.

Going with a bigger breakfast and keeping the dinner portion small has really helped me lean out without feeling like a zombie during the work day.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post